Henning?

Does anyone beside me think Dan Henning is the worst or at least bottom 5 Offensive Coordinators in the NFL?

I’m a Cowboys fan, but I will pull for the Panhters unless they are playing my boys, and when I watch every game the Panthers play it is the same thing from good ole’ Dan. I mean the offensive calls are so predictable it isn’t funny. It’s pretty bad when my friends and I can sit down and call out the play call before Delhomme hikes the ball. I don’t think his playbook is bad, it just his selection of plays and when to use them.

I watch guys like Parcells and Shanahan, who constantly keep the defense off balance, and won’t hesistate to call a pass on 3rd and short or a sure run (like in the 4th quarter to seal the game), but these guys don’t stray away from the run (to keep the D in check.).

Henning should be gone and Fox should do it unless he wants to leave at the same time.

I’ve thought Henning’s play calling has sucked for a loooong time (read as last season if not the one before). Especially given the weapons we have on offense, we should be opening it up alot more. I mean honestly… down 4 points with 2min to play, 2nd and 10… and you run a draw play… followed by another draw play!!!

was henning there when the got to the super bowl???

The difference is that the panthers do NOT have an offensive line. Jake is a decent QB, but is terrible in any type of quick decision making. They also do not have the “bruiser” style RB they used to have.

[QUOTE=ninerID;201624]was henning there when the got to the super bowl???

The difference is that the panthers do NOT have an offensive line. Jake is a decent QB, but is terrible in any type of quick decision making. They also do not have the “bruiser” style RB they used to have.[/QUOTE]

With the Talent they have, I think my 6 year old Sister could take them to the Superbowl.

Delhomme is a average to sub-par quarterback AT BEST and this city needs to get over the love obsession with this overrated starter. When you got a true playmaker like Smith to go and make you look good the QB position is easy. Some of the balls hes thrown have been completely underthrown and off target.

I am not a Panthers fan so I could truly care less, but I am a football fan so figured I would chime in.

I heard on a broadcast that Henning lives in a hotel down the street all season? I dont know what is up with that but thought that was funny!

[QUOTE=A-10 bound;201636]Delhomme is a average to sub-par quarterback AT BEST and this city needs to get over the love obsession with this overrated starter. When you got a true playmaker like Smith to go and make you look good the QB position is easy. Some of the balls hes thrown have been completely underthrown and off target.

I am not a Panthers fan so I could truly care less, but I am a football fan so figured I would chime in.

I heard on a broadcast that Henning lives in a hotel down the street all season? I dont know what is up with that but thought that was funny![/QUOTE]

Yea, kind of fishy. Delhomme is decent, when he is allowed to work. I mean every other team has 3-4 receivers always going out on passing plays. Delhomme on the other hand has 2-3 at the most. Also in Delhomme’s defense here is the Panthers playcalling:
1st down - Run up the middle
2nd down - Run up the middle or a stretch to the outside/ maybe a smoke screen (which will be attempted at least 6-7 times per game).
3rd down- 5 yard pass (even if its 3rd and 10 or long)/ draw play
4th down - Punt

Damn Dan’s offense is real hard to figure out. All the defense needs to look for is maybe 6 or 7 plays the whole game and bam you win.

Hey Dan, here’s a thought. How about using Play Action on first down. Also another thought- how about throwing the ball in Run obvious situations like a 3rd and 1/ 2nd and short. Mixing it up never hurt. Ask Mike Shanahan when he called a deep pass against the Patriots early in the season on a 3rd and 1 which ended up resulting in a Javon Walker TD (or close to TD can’t remember exactly).

His classic call though is the draw play on 3rd and 10. He did it today with just over 2 minutes left in the game while we were down. It set us up for the last play on 4th down where we did not convert.

Dan needs to be gone. Fox needs to start caring more about offense b/c we are not in the Stephen Davis ball control era any more. Use your freaking receivers!

fire him.

i could have success within such a good offense. how the hell cant he? fire the trgovac too. he has one of the best defenses to work with and cant even stop michael vick. terrible. bring back del rio.

[QUOTE=ninerball49;201650]fire him.

i could have success within such a good offense. how the hell cant he? fire the trgovac too. he has one of the best defenses to work with and cant even stop michael vick. terrible. bring back del rio.[/QUOTE]

I agree, fire Henning, Trgovac, and hell if Fox doesn’t want to do it, fire his ass too. I’m sure a Mike Martz, Steve Marriucci, or any other decent coach could easily have this team at 14-2 by the end of the year (of course one of those losses would be to Tony Romo and the Boyz.)

Henning does have one good quality.

He helps us get an earlier draft pick than we should every year.

my observations…

1. as mentioned, Jake sucks under pressure, with a poor offensive line and running game his problems are magnified. They should go to shotgun more and I wouldn’t mind seeing Weinke get some PT at this point.

2)Gamble SUCKS, lucas needs to get healthy and gamble needs to get benched and only play in Nickel. bright spot here is Marshall is great! but they should’ve kept Marlon McCree

1. given the hand of cards he’s been dealt, Henning is doing a horrible job. the 2nd and 3rd down Draw plays with game on the line was a head scratcher but I wonder if he’s just horrified of what Jake may do under pressure when he didn’t have “it”, all game.

I would still prefer a screen pass to Deangelo or that pitch play they started running to Foster last week, if they find it too risky to let Jake pass the ball to 2 of the better receivers the NFL has ever had in clutch time for fear of him throwing another INT.

Hire Norm Chow before NC State does…

Delhomme is a average to sub-par quarterback AT BEST and this city needs to get over the love obsession with this overrated starter.

I’ve always felt that way about Jake. Yes, he’s had some good games and won a few down the stretch (thanks to Steve Smith for the most part). But I’ve never understood the love affair for him. He’s servicable at best and makes way too many mistakes when under pressure. You can blame the O-line to an extent but I’ve still seen Jake make terrible passes, even when he has plenty of time to throw the ball. However, I’m not sold on Weinke either and rarely get on the “Put in Chris” bandwagon. I think Jake is the lesser of two evils but I wouldn’t want to depend on either QB when it counts.

whats embarrasing for the NFC is the Panthers would make the playoffs right now.

looks like its between Chicago, Dallas and Seattle(sleeper) to represent the NFC and get beat in the Superbowl by any of the AFC teams. alot can change in a month, but I have zero confidence in the Panthers. If they make playoffs it could be ugly if Offense doesnt’ come around

If it weren’t for Steve Smith, Delhomme would be riding the pine. How many times have you seen Jake sling up some retarded pass, only to have Smith pull off the most insane catch and make him look like a god?

This franchise should seriously look at a QB in the draft starting next season. Jake is a Steve Smith injury away from mediocrity (or worse).

Dan Henning needs to go regardless.

If it weren't for Steve Smith, Delhomme would be riding the pine. Dan Henning needs to go regardless.

If only they would give Basanez the ball… I honestly think that Jake is the best qb on the team, but they should go after a strong free agent in the offseason, which they won’t do.

Dan Henning needs to go regardless…(qft)

How many 3rd and 42 situations can you run the draw on? According to Henning, every single one.:huhsign:

Delhomme is okay. It’s kinda difficult to throw in the big leagues on 3rd and long all the time. He seems to do better when they open it up a little and let him throw on 1st and 2nd downs, probably like most QB’s in the league.

Henning is just awful. I almost came out of my seat on the 3rd down draw play (after the 2nd down draw play) late in the game.

I think it’s difficult to judge how good or bad Delhomme is right now, he’s got shackles on him. He played pretty darn well a couple of years ago, but of course that was then, this is now. Also, I think it would be hard to find someone that would do as good as he would right now. Take a look at the league, there ain’t many Mannings (Peyton of course) or Bradys out there.

Maybe Lutz could sign on as offensive coordinator. They would throw it long every down and never run inside.

[QUOTE=hootie;201864]Delhomme is okay. It’s kinda difficult to throw in the big leagues on 3rd and long all the time. He seems to do better when they open it up a little and let him throw on 1st and 2nd downs, probably like most QB’s in the league.

Henning is just awful. I almost came out of my seat on the 3rd down draw play (after the 2nd down draw play) late in the game.

I think it’s difficult to judge how good or bad Delhomme is right now, he’s got shackles on him. He played pretty darn well a couple of years ago, but of course that was then, this is now. Also, I think it would be hard to find someone that would do as good as he would right now. Take a look at the league, there ain’t many Romos. Mannings (Peyton of course) or Bradys out there.

Maybe Lutz could sign on as offensive coordinator. They would throw it long every down and never run inside.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.