Hoopscoop assessment - Braswell, Johnson, Sherrill

Hoopscoop is impressed by Sherrill and thinks he can be an immediate impact player next year, 6-7, tough athletic forward who can run the court and score around the basket. Also thinks it’s possible we land Chris Braswell or Karron Johnson. Speaks highly of Rob Moxley, Chris Cheeks, and Bobby Kummer.

[URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?&t=16393]Hoopscoop on last year’s class and prediction - thread[/URL]

How they ranked the 6 new players prior to last season:
13. CHARLOTTE (26 Points)…6 Recruits…4.3 Talent Rating Average Per Recruit…Atlantic-10 Conference…(8) Charlie Coley, 6’7, WF, Dodge City (JC) KS; (6) Lamont Mack, 6’7, PF, Angelina (JC) TX; (3) Dijuan Harris, 5’9, PG, Hillsborough (JC) FL; (3) An’Juan Wilderness, 6’7, PF, Lenoir (Patterson School) NC; (3) Gaby Ngoundjo, 6’7, PF, Little Rock (Christian) AR; (3) Javarris Barnett, 6’5, 2G, Charlotte (Victory Christian) NC.

ESPN (the writer’s name isn’t mentioned) is really gushing over Sherrill. His ‘press clippings’ are essentially impossible to live up to (I wonder how Curtis Withers would feel about being compared unfavorably to Sherrill?) but Charlotte may have snared a “talented, but basically unknown North Carolina prospect lacking attention”.

Link (no subscription necessary): ESPN.com

[B]September, 2008[/B]: He has attended several of our evaluation clinics, and really impressed me with his outstanding inside-outside game. Sherrill is physically strong, and a terrific athlete with the ability to power to the hoop. And, he is an accomplished outside shooter. He has been well-taught in the basic fundamentals by his high school Gurley, and he just has God-given natural abilities. Sherrill was outstanding playing for the Carolina Phenoms in the Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions, averaging 18 ppg., and 12 rebounds, while making the All-Tournament Team. He began the summer as one of a terrific trio of talented, but basically unknown North Carolina prospects that were all lacking national attention. This group included Sherrill; 6-5 G/F Earnest Ross (Cary, N.C./ Panther Creek), who just committed to Auburn; and 6-5 G/F Garrius Adams (Apex, N.C./Middle Creek). Adams is the only one still undecided, and he is now rated in the ESPN 100. Sherrill's performance in the AAU Junior National Tournament in Orlando, Fla., in late July validated that he is a major college talent. There, he showcased his physical prowess, explosive athletic abilities, and deft shooting touch from all ranges. Wisely, Coach Lutz and his staff turned up their recruiting intensity, and gained this commitment before others might have become involved with Sherrill. I compare him to former Charlotte forward Curtis Withers in that he can dominate inside, and has a deft outside shooting touch. In my opinion Sherrill is much more athletic than Withers, and is a better all-around player beginning his senior year of high school.

I thought we were out of the race for Karron Johnson? Please just give us one. Braswell or Johnson

thats what i thought too. id say forget about a pg if we can land braswell and karron johnson.