Hornets 2018-2019 Season

Womp! Womp!

So I assume you are done with the NFL as that has happened too?

Lol I was going to speak on that. You walked into this one. Eli for Phillip Rivers is a little better than getting Vlade Divac straight up for kobe

1 Like

So you only care about what a team gets in returnā€¦not the system that allows it? Had they got a top 20 player you wouldnā€™t be done with the NBA?

If they think theyā€™ll be able to keep Kemba, I like taking Bridges. If they think theyā€™ll trade or not be able to sign Kemba, then I agree, they probably should have drafted Porter.

The Bridges pick is the most Hornets pick imaginable.

1 Like

D.O.B.A.

We didnā€™t trade Kobe for Vlade even up. We traded Kobe for 2 years of Vlade. We did not insist the Lakers sign Vlade to a long term deal. Vlade was only here '96-'97 and '97-'98 and left as a free agent.

Should have never traded Kobe or Mourning. Should have stood our ground on each.

From what I rememberā€¦Kobe was adamant he would never play for us and would only play for the Lakers. Not sure what other options we had at the time but when it came down to trading with the Lakers, they knew we had no leverage at all. We took basically whatever we could getā€¦in order to at least get something.

We never should have drafted Kobe in the first place knowing that.

IMO It was a bluff.

THIS is why Iā€™m no longer an nba fan. Totally rigged.

1 Like

We drafted Kobe at the Lakersā€™ request. The trade had been arranged. The Lakers were signing Shaq and needed to get rid of Divac.

Had the deal with the Lakers never taken place, the Hornets could have drafted Kobe and he would have played here, but only for 2-3 years. He had no other options. His dad was out of a job. Heā€™d been an assistant at La Salle, but quit when the family announced Kobe was turning pro.

Mourning was willing to stay in Charlotte, but he wanting a maximum deal like they gave Larry Johnson. Shinn didnā€™t think we could afford both. When youā€™re only charging $7 a game for upper deck seats in the corner, youā€™re probably right.

Iā€™d love to dig into this a little moreā€¦but I am certain that we drafted Kobe intending for him to play here and he went ballistic and publically stated that he refused to play in Charlotteā€¦forcing the trade.

I have no recollection that the trade was worked out beforehand. If that was the case, there would have been no need for Kobe to be so public in his disdain that we picked him

I just read an article and I remember now. Kobe wouldnā€™t work out for teams before the draft and wanted to go to LA. The Lakers did plan to trade us Divac if Kobe made it to our pick (13).

Howeverā€¦after the pick and the trade was setā€¦Divac said he would retire instead of going to Charlotte. So we threatened to keep Kobe and not move forward with the tradeā€¦thatā€™s when Kobe threw his tantrum.

Apparently, they talked Divac into at least coming to Charlotte to finish out his contract (hoping to convince him to stay longer during his time here) and the trade was back on.

It dragged out for about a month after the draftā€¦but the tantrum Kobe threw was legit about not playing in Charlotte. But it wasnā€™t after the pick itselfā€¦it was when we threatened to void the trade because of Divacā€™s insistance to retire if the trade went through.

clt says Jordan is the worst owner in sports. Just wants to sell his gear to sheeple.

No, that is wrong. The deal was done before the pick was made.i was BIG into Hornets then. Very clear recollection on this. Editā€¦I posted this as reply to your first post above.

This bleeds into sports decay in general and Nascar does a bad job of it.
$7 of a paid seat when you charge $5 - $7 for a soda is better than an unpaid empty seat going for $50. It also creates fans who decide that next season they want to get a better more expensive seat.

Shinn was a chump that wanted to live in New Orleans so he banked all of his money for the move.

No one said Shinn should have charged $50 for an upper deck seat in the corner. If he had charged $12 and raised the other seats by $5, he would have had plenty of money to have kept Alonzo.

Shinn only pocketed 50% of the consession sales and he only received that after his 2nd or 3rd amended lease. Originally all the concession sales went to the Coliseum Authority.

The Shinn model, charge little and fill up the seats, did not work. He went broke in Charlotte, brought in Ray Whoever to bail him out, moved to New Orleans and was going under there until Katrina allowed him to move to Oklahoma City, which bailed him out again. The NBA forced him back to New Orleans and he went under for a third time and the NBA took the team from him.