Hornets want their own D-league team

http://www.wbtv.com/story/28965604/charlotte-hornets-want-to-own-operate-a-development-league-team

Smart idea, gives you a chance to develop more guys. NBA has the money to do this for all teams, develop your product.

Somewhat ironic given half the orignal 8 teams were located in the Carolinas: Asheville, Charleston, Fayetteville, and Greenville (SC). That said, Hornets do need their own minor league affiliate to develop the likes of Vonleh, etc.

If mlb can have 3 levels of a farm system, I guess the least an NBA team could do is have 1. I think they can afford it.

You mean the Hornets aren’t in the D-league?

This is cool.

So what’s the team name going to be?

This is all important.

They can easily afford it, but they’ve always chosen to use college as their farm system. I’m still hopeful that each NBA franchise will have their own farm team, that they will adopt the same method MLB uses for drafting players (can opt to go pro out of high school, after 2 years of junior college, or after 3 years of college), and that the NBA and college basketball will in the end benefit from it.

[quote=“Gassman, post:5, topic:29588”]This is cool.

This is all important.[/quote]they’re just going to legitimize the heels as a for profit professional sports entity and take their name and arena.

They could play in Raleigh - Dorton Arena doesn’t have a permanent tenant. I think that would probably draw kind of well up here.

This is all important.[/quote]

The Drones.

This type of drone:

Not this type:

The Bobcats - perfect D-league name and history.

[quote=“JediWupAss, post:10, topic:29588”][quote=“Gassman, post:5, topic:29588”]This is cool.

The Bobcats - perfect D-league name and history.[/quote]

:))

Raleigh is not going to like being targeted for a minor league team of a Charlotte NBA team. It reminds them that they are a smaller market.

That’s a long drive though.

10 bucks they land this team in the triad for quick back and forth.

Plenty of places to play up there I’m guessing.

Raleigh is not going to like being targeted for a minor league team of a Charlotte NBA team. It reminds them that they are a smaller market.

Plenty of places to play up there I’m guessing.[/quote]

Asheville isn’t really much further, 2 hours, and I’m sure they’d be thrilled to have the team. The baseball team gets decent support, and they already have a place to play.

I think Charleston would be the most fun place to watch a game.

Not that it would matter much to the Hornets or NBA in general; but I doubt any serious college basketball team in a potential location city (like C of Charleston) would appreciate a D-League team very much. They might not draw away anything from the college team, but you never know. On the other hand a D-League team could help a college team in a town without serious college basketball, like USC-Upstate in Greenville.

Plenty of places to play up there I’m guessing.[/quote]
The Checkers are the minor league affiliate of the Hurricanes.

Perhaps the Canes and the Checkers should trade towns. That would put Raleigh in their place.

I endorse this. Maybe then I could root for the canes.

I don’t think switching Canes for Checkers is realistic. What would be realistic is Hornets & Hurricanes switching for 1-2 games a year in each other’s arenas.
Also, we can’t support a NHL & NBA team at the same time.

clt says Boone should get a nba team.