How did we win??

Attendance... 8923 - F'IN IMPRESSIVE!
our best attendance games in Halton this season will be SoCon teams.
SERIOUSLY, GET THE PESSIMISM OUT OF HERE.

STOP.

Davidson is a great team.

thereā€™s no pessimism! its an objective Q and A.
you donā€™t lose the rebounding margin by 14 and win often, plus shoot .520 from the line. Quite franklyā€¦ its unheard of.

Davidson is 2-4, not a great team, unless your into moral victories

So when ESPN does another love fest column on Davidson's schedule, or next time they show their schedule on TV, they will actually mention Charlotte right?

QFT,
I am so sick of the force feeding of Davidsonā€™s greatness. They have not won a quality game since 2005

We won because of Lee late. Still horrible on the boards and free throws. Hope we can continue to win and learn while these issues are there. Very proud of the effort again, big win against a quality team. GO NINERS!

[QUOTE=metro;274050]thereā€™s no pessimism! its an objective Q and A.
you donā€™t lose the rebounding margin by 14 and win often, plus shoot .520 from the line. Quite franklyā€¦ its unheard of.[/quote]

We pulled some of out best rebounders out to chase Curry. It was PAINFUL to watch, but in retrospect, it makes sense. Plus, we let #5 have his way on the glass, which was inexcusable. He constantly had superior position.

Now the FT shootingā€¦ YIKES!! We must fix this. We will see Saturday how important FTs are in a lower scoring game.

[quote]Davidson is 2-4, not a great team, unless your into moral victories[/QUOTE]

That is a very poor comment. Look at who they played. They have one bad loss against a team that shot 60% from the floor for the game.

We pulled some of out best rebounders out to chase Curry. It was PAINFUL to watch, but in retrospect, it makes sense. Plus, we let #5 have his way on the glass, which was inexcusable. He constantly had superior position.

Now the FT shootingā€¦ YIKES!! We must fix this. We will see Saturday how important FTs are in a lower scoring game.

That is a very poor comment. Look at who they played. They have one bad loss against a team that shot 60% from the floor for the game.

no its not, Ninerball49 said ā€œthey are a great teamā€ and that is not true. Davidson has been overrated for 18 months. No quality wins since 2005.

The Davidson/Bob McKillop marketing machine has managed to sell oceanfront property in Arizona.

I think Davidson is a nice D1 team, out of 330 schools they are 100-150 range. Playing some good squads close is meaningless.

we shot .520 from the FT line

we were out-rebounded 47-33

I guess Leemireā€™s 3 pointers sums it up

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/boxscore?gid=200712050395

We won because we made it a fast, sloppy, high foul game. Thatā€™s what I said before that we had to do. When the game was slowed down and half court, they controlled it. Besides, itā€™s ok for our senior leader to bail us out every now and then, and boy did he. It was the Lee and Curry show, and Lee finished him off at the end.

By the way. **** all Davidson snobs and their talk about how we are thugs. I now hate these snobs worse than Wakeā€™s snobs. They have no reason to make an ignorant comment like that. This team works there asses off and wins with pure heart everytime we put a W on the schedule. We are all effort and guts. Where I sat was a bunch of Davidson people talking about the ā€œthugsā€ we have on the court. Please, go back to Davidson and cry yourself to sleep wondering why you didnā€™t get into Duke and how you got beat by a bunch of ā€œthugs.ā€ Oh, and KISS OUR GREEN ASSES!!!

OK, now that Iā€™m completely off topic. I LOVE THIS TEAM!!
:49ers:

That is a very poor comment. Look at who they played. They have one bad loss against a team that shot 60% from the floor for the game.[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree with Metro. Unless they beat Cal-Los Angeles on Saturday, they have no shot at an at-large bid. The D-1 teams that theyā€™ve beaten so far are a combined 4-14, and their other win is the dreaded ā€œNon-Division 1.ā€ The SOCON just wonā€™t be able to help them move up. The current SOCON RPI is 18, and I donā€™t see that moving up drastically.

We appear to be one of those teams that wins ugly. You never really can explain how they do it, but somehow they pull it out. It usually means guys are playing hard and hustling, often playing good defense. Still doesnā€™t sound like we play good team defense, but weā€™ve got some good individual defenders out there. We won the turnover margin again.

I really wish we wouldnā€™t shoot so many threes (especially Mack 2-7 and Andersen 1-5). But itā€™s hard to argue if theyā€™re wide open. I like Andersenā€™s energy, but he appears to need some more seasoning/development, as right now heā€™s a liability on both ends. The main reason for playing him is to nail the threes, but heā€™s shooting at 33% clip right now. He is still just a sophomore, so I hope he turns it around.

One thing I will say for Lutz, he appears to have inspired the guys to play hard, particularly in the 2nd half. What is he saying at halftime? Whatever it is, the guys usually come out strong.

Why didnā€™t Jones play more? He sat most of the 2nd half. Is he hurt? Seems like his size would help us in a game like this.

Correction: Ian is shooting 39% this year not including tonights 1-5 (33% over his career). Not as bad as I thought.

[QUOTE=Smoothieking;274058]I gotta agree with Metro. Unless they beat Cal-Los Angeles on Saturday, they have no shot at an at-large bid. The D-1 teams that theyā€™ve beaten so far are a combined 4-14, and their other win is the dreaded ā€œNon-Division 1.ā€ The SOCON just wonā€™t be able to help them move up. The current SOCON RPI is 18, and I donā€™t see that moving up drastically.[/QUOTE]

I didnā€™t say they are great or an NCAA team (though I do think they will win the SoCon). But they arenā€™t a ā€œ2-4ā€ team eitherā€¦ The only reason they are 2-4 is that they loaded their schedule up something awful. We would be brutalized with that schedule.

They are a solid team. This was a quality win. I donā€™t begrudge them their little run of fame. They are unlikely to sustain it.

I didn't say they are great or an NCAA team (though I do think they will win the SoCon). But they aren't a "2-4" team either.... The only reason they are 2-4 is that they loaded their schedule up something awful. We would be brutalized with that schedule.

They are a solid team. This was a quality win. I donā€™t begrudge them their little run of fame. They are unlikely to sustain it.

NA,
read the thread in chronological order. Ninerballin called Davidson a ā€œgreat teamā€ and I replied they are 2-4 (and implied that a couple close losses are worthless), and have not won a good game since 2005.

for whatever reason you thought that was a poor comment, which it clearly is not objectively.

Any Niner fan that buys into the Davison hype machine, to make this win look larger than it is, is kidding themselves. Davidson is a top 150-ish team, we should of beat then at Halton.

[QUOTE=metro;274068]Davidson is a [B]top 150-ish team[/B], we should of beat then at Halton.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely do not disagree with that characterization at all. But Iā€™m not going to argue with you.

Geez, reading this thread Iā€™d never know we won.

Davidson is a solid team but theyā€™re not as good as their hype. That I agree with.

However this was still a quality win against a very good team. They had an off night from the floor, other than Curry, and I credit our defense with some of that.

If you showed me the stat line and didnā€™t give me the score Iā€™d say no way we won. But we made the plays that counted down the stretch and pulled it out. Thatā€™s something our teams of the last few years have not done. How many leads did we see get blown only to lose in the last minute? A lot. But it didnā€™t happen tonight.

This team won ugly, but they still won. And Iā€™ll take it anyday.

GO NINERS!

Leemoan made shots, we won. That about sums it up. Iā€™ll be there Saturday, before during and after. I think that makes me all in.:49ers:

18 assists, 12 turnovers.
Outscored their bench 11-3.
Points in the paint 22-16.

How many times wouldā€™ve we seen those stats in the past 3 years?

Geez, reading this thread I'd never know we won.

Davidson is a solid team but theyā€™re not as good as their hype. That I agree with.

However this was still a quality win against a very good team. They had an off night from the floor, other than Curry, and I credit our defense with some of that.

If you showed me the stat line and didnā€™t give me the score Iā€™d say no way we won. But we made the plays that counted down the stretch and pulled it out. Thatā€™s something our teams of the last few years have not done. How many leads did we see get blown only to lose in the last minute? A lot. But it didnā€™t happen tonight.

This team won ugly, but they still won. And Iā€™ll take it anyday.

GO NINERS!

I said the comment before the game. I donā€™t think we will have a blowout the whole year. Whether we win or lose, we will do with our style; close games. But, wait, theres a good side to this. This team is getting very battle tested and they are young. Growing up fast will help us in the future.

Geez, reading this thread I'd never know we won.

Davidson is a solid team but theyā€™re not as good as their hype.

However this was still a quality win against a very good team.

If you showed me the stat line and didnā€™t give me the score Iā€™d say no way we won.

GO NINERS!

that is all Iā€™m sayinā€¦

[QUOTE=Smoothieking;274079]18 assists, 12 turnovers.
Outscored their bench 11-3.
Points in the paint 22-16.

How many times wouldā€™ve we seen those stats in the past 3 years?[/QUOTE]

we shoulda had more points in the paint, but for 4-5 straight possessions midway through the 2nd we shot 3pters for some reason :confused:

I almost fainted when the announcer said ā€œand a great post feed fromā€¦ā€ I had to doublecheck the name on the jerseys and the colors to make sure I was still watching Charlotte. :slight_smile:

Davidon had an RPI last year of 49, they only lost 4 games the entire season, BUT they didnā€™t beat 1 top 100 team!! How are you a top 50 team without beating anyone in the top 100??? I know they only had 4 shots at a top 100 team but you canā€™t give credit for playing a ā€œcloseā€ game. Metro has a point just because you play a team close doesnā€™t mean you are close to that team.

Great game by Leemireā€¦ he was due for one of those and I had a feeling it might come tonight.

Curry can definitely shoot lights out, but I wasnā€™t that impressed with many other areas of his gameā€¦ ok but not great at creating his own shot, his defense was hit and miss. he was gaurding Lee when Lee nailed some of those 3s late in the game. They ran a lot of screens for Curry too and he wasnā€™t missing when he was open. If we could have kept him from getting those open looks late in the game, we would have won this game much easier.

The officiating was bad all night. both ways.

Fun, exciting game. Good atmosphere. Davidson didnā€™t bring nearly as many fans as I thought they wouldā€¦ having a team that had been ranked and all. They tried to get chants going a couple of times but I couldnā€™t understand them.

They destroyed us by 28 points (?) or something last yearā€¦ they returned their top 11 players for this season. We have 8 or so new guys and beat them by 7 this year. That says a lot about how much weā€™ve improved.

Davidson could be staring 3-5 in the face after their next game against UCLA. That would be tough after all the preseason hype around them.

ok, iā€™ll stop rambling now