How good is this team?

At the beginning of the year I thought this was one of the deepest most talented teams I had seen in years but now I do not know what to think.

We have one good win against UAB and they just got beat by Tulane.
I was not impressed with Cincy at all and they punked us.
Cincy actually shoots 25% in the first half and still scores 80 on us.
We look just as good when Withers is not on the floor as when he is.
Nick Williams has a career nite against us.

I really do not know what to think of this team and what to expect from them?
Huggins and Pitino both say we have the most talent in the league but some fans say we need to recruit better players?

This is a confusing team.

All I can say is hopefully they will be better in March and will peak then. We definently don’t look like team we were “supposed” to be this season. I am amazed at how Withers has gotten wourse this year.

Though we lost to cincinatti by so much, i still believe it is the most talented i’ve seen in years. I agree to your statements in the second paragraph, but -

Huggins and Pitino both say we have the most talent in the league but some fans say we need to recruit better players?
… i don’t really agree with that… i think we do have the talent… i think we have great talent, we just aren’t using it to our full potential (as demonstrated at cincy). Sorry to compare us to wake here, but I think we have as much or more talent than wake does. wake PLAYS AS A TEAM though. Their players don’t care who scores what. If we had that mindset to go into the game and just WIN, and not worry about mvps, or who scored the most, or who made the most 3’s… we would be as successful as almost any team in the NCAA.

I think Basden would be the only player from our team that could start for Wake. I think he would then only be a role player.

I can see the comparison to Wake. I think there are some similarities, even though I think Wake would beat us. Where Wake is better in my opinion is mainly from a big men standpoint. They get consistant production out of Eric Williams. They can basically count on him for 12+ points a game. We can count on Iti for nothing really.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Jan 20 2005, 12:58 AM [b] I think Basden would be the only player from our team that could start for Wake. I think he would then only be a role player. [/b]
I don't. He could definitely start for WFU, but he certainly wouldn't just be a roleplayer. He may not lead them in scoring, but he would be one of, if not the, best defenders on their team (and the fact that they play better D would help him out tremendously) and would still do the little things. If nothing else, he would seem that much better on a team that could allow him to play his game like WFU could.
[i]Originally posted by Bballaeric20[/i]@Jan 20 2005, 12:54 AM [b] Sorry to compare us to wake here, but I think we have as much or more talent than wake does. wake PLAYS AS A TEAM though. Their players don't care who scores what. If we had that mindset to go into the game and just WIN, and not worry about mvps, or who scored the most, or who made the most 3's.. we would be as successful as almost any team in the NCAA. [/b]
Huh? Where in the world do you get that we have a bunch of selfish players? Our team has been very balanced this year.

If we could clone 4 more Eddies and just start all 5 of them, we’d be hard to beat, if not impossible. He may not score 30 points a game but he’s the most complete player on our team and there’s not a coach in this country that wouldn’t love to have him on the roster.