How Many Non-Sport Fans Will Convert?

How many non-sport fans will show up just when we’re winning?

I noticed on John Boy & Billy this morning, the old man, Robert D. Raeford, who has spoken for years AGAINST sports & is a USC grad, announced this morning he was at the 50-yard-line during the Bama-Usc game. Gee, what a shocker. Even anti-sports people like a winner. :))

Zero non-sports fans will show no matter what we do. THEY ARE NON-SPORTS FANS. Who wants some egg-headed professor in the stands giving a slow clap after good plays anyway?

Nah, if there is one sport which unites sports fans and non sports fans its football.

Nah, if there is one sport which unites sports fans and non sports fans its football.[/quote]

I’d like to think it’s possible to “convert” non-sports fans into fans, but I don’t see football in and of itself as a panacea to do so. I don’t know about Raeford’s particular stance on sports in general, but I do know he was anti-US getting it. The example of him going to see his alma mater play in an important game doesn’t convince me, because I don’t know how he felt about GAMECOCKS Sports beforehand. I think you have to have a natural predisposition to liking something for it to be something you want to participate in. If a husband drags his wife to a game does that make her a fan or a reluctant participant?

People that don’t care about sports will show up at a sporting event, if it’s big, just to say “I was there”. They like to feel important. Raeford probably couldn’t tell you South Carolina’s record prior to going to the game or who they had played prior to Alabama.

Football on this campus will bring in non-sports fan because that is what college football does. The football games in many places are almost over shadowed by all the other activities. People will be there because it’s the place to be not because its a sport.

But will they go in and buy a ticket, or just enjoy the relatively “free” activities in the parking lots? I know lots of folks that show up at Panthers games whom I’ve never seen inside the stadium. Its great to have a great tailgating atmosphere but if it doesn’t translate into the stadium when the clock starts it doesn’t really help. I saw a recent thread on CAAZone.com where Delaware fans were lamenting the poor student turnout in the stadium when compared to the student turnout OUTSIDE the stadium.

But will they go in and buy a ticket, or just enjoy the relatively “free” activities in the parking lots? I know lots of folks that show up at Panthers games whom I’ve never seen inside the stadium. Its great to have a great tailgating atmosphere but if it doesn’t translate into the stadium when the clock starts it doesn’t really help. I saw a recent thread on CAAZone.com where Delaware fans were lamenting the poor student turnout in the stadium when compared to the student turnout OUTSIDE the stadium.[/quote]

You’re kidding me?! You saw people outside the stadium that you didn’t see inside it?

But will they go in and buy a ticket, or just enjoy the relatively “free” activities in the parking lots? I know lots of folks that show up at Panthers games whom I’ve never seen inside the stadium. Its great to have a great tailgating atmosphere but if it doesn’t translate into the stadium when the clock starts it doesn’t really help. I saw a recent thread on CAAZone.com where Delaware fans were lamenting the poor student turnout in the stadium when compared to the student turnout OUTSIDE the stadium.[/quote]

You’re kidding me?! You saw people outside the stadium that you didn’t see inside it?[/quote]

I know at least 4 guys that pay for parking spaces and leave when everyone goes in. They’re there for the party. There’s a surprising number of people leaving uptown at the start of Panther’s (not JUST this year). I work uptown some Sunday’s so I’ve seen the mini-exodus more than once. Most folks are pretty free with their beer and brots with “fellow fans” and never really make sure they have tickets, why would they?

I didn’t know people were free with their beer & brats, damn it. I could have been tailgating for years, & then taking the train shuttle back home to watch the Panthers. Who is this guy, & where is he located? I’m looking for him the next home tailgate.

Nah, if there is one sport which unites sports fans and non sports fans its football.[/quote]

I’d like to think it’s possible to “convert” non-sports fans into fans, but I don’t see football in and of itself as a panacea to do so. I don’t know about Raeford’s particular stance on sports in general, but I do know he was anti-US getting it. The example of him going to see his alma mater play in an important game doesn’t convince me, because I don’t know how he felt about GAMECOCKS Sports beforehand. I think you have to have a natural predisposition to liking something for it to be something you want to participate in. If a husband drags his wife to a game does that make her a fan or a reluctant participant?[/quote]

I would go as far as saying I don’t think its possible to convert non-sports fans into fans. However, like I said above, football is one sport that unites them.

Whole families go out to football games, people invite friends from their office etc. By far I have known more friends who don’t enjoy sports come to football games then any other sports.

This weekend actually, I have a friend, lets call her Brunette. Charlotte grad. Excited about football, but I think in the 4 years she was here she went to one bball game. Just wasn’t for her, there was always something else going on. This weekend she went to an NCSU football game. I poked fun of her, because I know she doesn’t like sports much, yet Brunette wanted to go because her friends invited her to go. To quote her ‘I don’t get it, but its fun’.

This was an event she prepared for, as in someone asked her a few weeks ago, got a bunch of tickets and planned a whole weekend around this one event. She doesn’t understand football, and probably doesn’t care much for it anyways. Yet, to tailgate and experience the game it was worth it.

/speech. I rambled a little, but you get what I am driving at?

Our tailgate group has between 2 to 8 participants a week that show up to tailgate and then leave when the rest of us head into the stadium. It’s possible they may be the only ones tailgating by the end of the season because at least half the PSL/season ticket owners in our group have already started ditching tickets to the remaining games.