How will Hill handle his decision to keep Ron?

I donā€™t think its possible for us to get that lucky

Have you heard him? Hes building something special in his mind. He also makes three quarters of a mil a year with zero accountabiliry. Iā€™d bet my life savings he doesnt voluntarily step down.

The only progress Sanchez has made is continuing to bury the basketball program deeper into the realm of the irrelevant abyss. If Hill brings Sanchez back, heā€™s signing his own termination papers as well.

Whoever thinks Mike Hill is going to lose his job over bringing back Ron is on some serious drugs.

3 Likes

You canā€™t really say that. What he took over was a steaming pile of shat. We are at least winning the majority of home games and have won more on the road this year. If he is kept, this has to be it. We have to win more games against the top 150, or he has to go.

I sit behind the bench, and have seen plenty of changes. We need more defensive minded players that will commit to running our D.

Im not wanting to keep him, because i think this team has peaked and is a slightly above average team. That wonā€™t win in the AAC.

No signature wins, no NCAA tournaments. No casual fan can recall the last time this team won a game of consequence. Theyā€™re boring. They donā€™t matter in the city right now. I get what you noted are improvements - but it isnā€™t enough. Canā€™t even win a horrendous conference. The program is irrelevant until they find a way to get back to the NCAA Tournament.

Hoops is going to be the quickest way for the overall program to get back on the radar.

Maybe Iā€™m being too hard with my assessment - but this stretch of futility is absolutely unacceptable. Tired of hearing excuses.

Well, he answered me. I am hesitant to post everything he says to me, because Iā€™d like to have a more candid conversation with him. But I think this is pretty straightforward:

2 Likes

Perhaps you could paraphrase the other things that Mike said without revealing any details and still maintain your confidentiality.

clt says hill needs an @charlotte.edu address.

Hill will follow through with the narrative that we were in such a bad position when Sanchez took over, that it takes time to establish a winning culture and to build the pillars of a successful program, point to the ā€œimprovementsā€ this year, and spin the narrative to the fan base that we are heading in the right direction as a program

1 Like

I think you are probably right. Thing is he isnā€™t totally wrong - the program was a total dumpster fire. We are in a better place than we were. We are winning at home and we got a bye in the conf tournament. So we have improvement. The problem is it just isnt good enough for year 4 and it really doesnā€™t feel like we are on the cusp of anything. There is feel good .500 and limping .500. Many of our games we saw the same issues, we got blown out a few times, lost major leads and barely won.
All that makes it hard to see around .500 as progress.

Assuming Ron stays Iā€™ll try t have a conversation with Mike and Chris and see why I should get on board with another year. I donā€™t see me spending the money for the behind the bench seats again. Will go back to a single in 226.

Sorry this screen clip is a little hard to read but this is a response to an email to Hill that someone posted over on the Agent49 discord. This is what we all knew but it pretty much confirms that Sanchez ainā€™t going anywhere.

Thatā€™s fine. Weā€™ll see how football and basketball do this next year and maybe we have a ā€œFire Mike Hill?ā€ poll after. I hope the coaches Hill has put in place to take our 2 most important sports to the next level succeed. If they donā€™t, someone needs to be held accountable and thatā€™s Hill. Iā€™m afraid if Sanchez gets to #4 in CUSA & NET 150 heā€™ll still be given another year. Thereā€™s no excuse for Sanchez to not be competing for CUSA titles in his 4th year, let alone 5th year.

Even Judy Rose knew how to cut a total loser loose. Looks like Phil got what he wanted.

Well, looks like another season of not buying season tickets for basketball.

For all of Judyā€™s faults, she at least knew when to cut a loser loose.

Iā€™ve already grown tired of Hill. Heā€™s just as invisible as Judy and seems to be even more dense.

I wanna know what Sanchez has lined up that has Mike believing next year will be any better. We are losing Butler and some other guys.

The answer wasnā€™t on the bench this season or we would have seen it.

We only have one recruit for next season and while he sounds promising, you donā€™t rely on freshmen to turn things around.

Itā€™s better be something like Jaelyn Withers transferring in, etc. Probably more than that.

Otherwise, Hill is basically hitching his future to Sanchezā€™s.

I think the thing that probably rubs some fans the wrong way is that Sanchez has known this all along which is why he comes across as smug and unconcerned in his remarks. Thereā€™s no pressure.

We are beyond the point of saying wait til next season. Now we already know what to expect next season and itā€™s not good. I had a bad feeling he would get another season but itā€™s still disappointing to see it pretty much spelled out like that. There is really nothing to be gained by keeping him around another season other than the $450K in buyout money we will save. Seems pretty hopeless when we are trading that for what feels like a throw away season.

Agreed.

Short of bringing in a couple of NBA players, this seems like another wasted year.

People have rightly observed and complained that CUSA runs the basketball tournament like they are just trying to keep costs down. Sadly, thatā€™s how this comes off as well. Thatā€™s just not going to cut it with engaging the fan base. I didnā€™t buy season tickets this year, and thereā€™s absolutely no reason to do so next season now either. Losing my desire to even watch. Itā€™ll go away completely if we lose any key players like Young or Aly.

Thatā€™s the problem I have. Quite frankly, outside of Young, it doesnā€™t seem like we have any tremendous pieces coming back or coming into the program. Maybe Williams or Aly make a huge jump next year. Or maybe we have a tremendous transfer coming in.

But on top of that, I know people have said they donā€™t care what top of system we use, as long as were winning, but I donā€™t believe theyā€™re being completely honest. The UVA system is painful to watch at times, with or without the team having success.

I canā€™t stand watching a defensive system that either has to slow the offensive game to an unwatchable crawl to fake defensive efficiency, or is exposed as bad (eg #247 rated defense) when the offense plays a more watchable tempo.

And tempo aside, how many times did we watch an opposing player drive right to the basket and finish with ease?

Itā€™s just not good basketball.