HPU and App State message boards

eason you’ll probably see me there in full body paint cover green head to toe anyways.

plus from dying my hair green so much i think it dyed my brain green too.

[QUOTE=switchfoot;266221]I am surprised App has a basketball side to their message board. It’s like when I hear Duke fans discuss football…oh wait, never have.[/QUOTE]

Dook ONLY funds football so they can remain in the acc.

[QUOTE=dax;266234]eason you’ll probably see me there in full body paint cover green head to toe anyways.

plus from dying my hair green so much i think it dyed my brain green too.[/QUOTE]

Liar, I don’t believe it!

I did notice all the App fans referred to us as Charlotte and not UNCC. That’s much better than you will see on the Wake board when we play them.

(App Fan)

Hey guys. Saw a couple of your forum members hop on over and post a bit. Nice to see another active message board with some cool people. Right now App Men’s Basketball isn’t that big on campus with all the Football talk, but I think some of you would be suprised at how its growing. Last year the Men’s team had a great showing and attendance saw a big increase. Still a dismal 2,500~, even though we have a very nice 10,000 Seat arena. However this year there is definitely some hope that we’ll see a return to the NCAA tourney.

Anyways on to the team. Although we’ve lost 3 Senior Starters, we still have a couple very good players coming back. Namely the transfer from UVA Donte Minter, who is seeing his first full injury-free season (hopefully). We also have Clayton, a great defender and solid forward. Other then that however, a lot of Juniors/Sophomore coming in to plug the gaps. A few freshmen who I also expect to see aiming for some starting spots. It should be a good team, although given the lack of senior leaders on the team, we could make or break early on, so this 49’ers game could be big (heading into several road games before we finally head home against Davidson).

This game should be interesting because from what Dax has told me, the 49’ers are young but very athletic. Perhaps a lot of running. That’ll be in contrast to App, where Fancher appears to be building a lineup thats big down low, putting the pressure inside where we’ll kick it out to our solid shoot guards if we can’t create anything underneath the basket. Not nearly as many fastbreak points expected now that DJ Thompson and D. Scott have graduated. We will be playing with a new point guard, either a soph/fresh player. So I’m sure turnovers will occur as the team still learns to play as a unit.

If I was the 49’ers I would try to control the tempo, make it a fast “sloppy” game where your more athletic players can take advantage of our “slower” offense. Keeping App “on edge” would work well to charlottes advantage. Whereas, I think App will try to keep the game under control and make it a battle of FG%.

Honestly don’t know enough about the 49’ers and App to make a decent prediction yet. But as an App Fan, I’m thinking that our more expierenced players/seniors/juniors will pull a win out.

App had a closed scrimmaged vs WSSU, who we dominated although they’re one of the worst squads in all of Division 1 basketball, so almost not worth a comparison.

Cheers :slight_smile: Should be a great game, hoping to be there.

I know App has 12-15,000ish students and another 15,000 residents in the town, but a 10,000 seat arena for a SoCon team that hasn’t done much in its history seems quite excessive. Why would they build something that big? Do they have a lot of other events in there or is it primarily just basketball?

(App Fan)

Hey guys. Saw a couple of your forum members hop on over and post a bit. Nice to see another active message board with some cool people. Right now App Men’s Basketball isn’t that big on campus with all the Football talk, but I think some of you would be suprised at how its growing. Last year the Men’s team had a great showing and attendance saw a big increase. Still a dismal 2,500~, even though we have a very nice 10,000 Seat arena. However this year there is definitely some hope that we’ll see a return to the NCAA tourney.

Anyways on to the team. Although we’ve lost 3 Senior Starters, we still have a couple very good players coming back. Namely the transfer from UVA Donte Minter, who is seeing his first full injury-free season (hopefully). We also have Clayton, a great defender and solid forward. Other then that however, a lot of Juniors/Sophomore coming in to plug the gaps. A few freshmen who I also expect to see aiming for some starting spots. It should be a good team, although given the lack of senior leaders on the team, we could make or break early on, so this 49’ers game could be big (heading into several road games before we finally head home against Davidson).

This game should be interesting because from what Dax has told me, the 49’ers are young but very athletic. Perhaps a lot of running. That’ll be in contrast to App, where Fancher appears to be building a lineup thats big down low, putting the pressure inside where we’ll kick it out to our solid shoot guards if we can’t create anything underneath the basket. Not nearly as many fastbreak points expected now that DJ Thompson and D. Scott have graduated. We will be playing with a new point guard, either a soph/fresh player. So I’m sure turnovers will occur as the team still learns to play as a unit.

If I was the 49’ers I would try to control the tempo, make it a fast “sloppy” game where your more athletic players can take advantage of our “slower” offense. Keeping App “on edge” would work well to charlottes advantage. Whereas, I think App will try to keep the game under control and make it a battle of FG%.

Honestly don’t know enough about the 49’ers and App to make a decent prediction yet. But as an App Fan, I’m thinking that our more expierenced players/seniors/juniors will pull a win out.

App had a closed scrimmaged vs WSSU, who we dominated although they’re one of the worst squads in all of Division 1 basketball, so almost not worth a comparison.

Welcome! Thanks for the write up. I’m not sure you will get anyone who will be able to really break this team down to give you an clear picture of what to expect, as we have absolutely no clue what to expect ourselves.

We seem to be very athletic, but how that will translate into production is yet to be seen. Good luck on the season. I hope we beat the dog **** out of you guys on Monday. :tongue:

(App Fan)

we’re also pressing a lot more on defense so if you have an unexperienced pg, that could hurt. should be a good game.

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;266495]I know App has 12-15,000ish students and another 15,000 residents in the town, but a 10,000 seat arena for a SoCon team that hasn’t done much in its history seems quite excessive. Why would they build something that big? Do they have a lot of other events in there or is it primarily just basketball?[/QUOTE]

I drove by their Arena one time and it looked really nice. It’s fairly new. I think they have concerts and other events there also.

Yipee, they’re gonna be on TV!

[URL=http://goasu.com/article/11256/][B][U]Season Opener At Charlotte To Be Broadcast on Time Warner Cable[/U][/B][/URL], GoASU.com

Yah, to be honest the Arena is pretty incredible. Its our only “top class” stadium on campus. Everything else is really nice, but a new 10,000 Seat arena can’t be beat. However to get the funds necessary it obviously serves other purposes, so officially its the Holmes Convocation Center. There is a stupid rubberized track that goes the length of the concourse (sigh), but at least inside it looks great lol.

Sadly we have a hard time filling the stadium. Our only sold out game was against UNC a while back, and lately we’re lucky to see 5,000+ on big games. Hopefully when the 49’ers comeback a year from now we’ll have a bit more people inside :slight_smile:

Yah our starting PG will be “fresh”, likely Abaraham. However he’s a pretty decent ball handler with a fairly lower turnover percentage.

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;266495]I know App has 12-15,000ish students and another 15,000 residents in the town, but a 10,000 seat arena for a SoCon team that hasn’t done much in its history seems quite excessive. Why would they build something that big? Do they have a lot of other events in there or is it primarily just basketball?[/QUOTE]
It was built to be a multi-purpose facility, like Barnhart, but is used primarily for athletics. They do have concerts there.

[QUOTE][B]Holmes Convocation Center[/B]
[I]Home of Men’s Basketball, Women’s Basketball, Volleyball and Indoor Track and Field[/I]

The cornerstone of the Appalachian State University campus is the George M. Holmes Convocation Center. Containing Seby Jones Arena, the facility serves as the home of Mountaineer volleyball as well as the men’s and women’s basketball programs and indoor track and field squads.

Standing at the end of Rivers Street, the 200,840-square-foot structure houses the Department of Health, Leisure and Exercise Science, and includes a multipurpose arena for community and cultural events, graduation and convocation ceremonies, trade shows, concerts, and athletic events.

The athletics facilities on campus have long been considered among the finest in the Southern Conference. The constant emphasis placed on the maintenance and upgrading of these sites shows the institution’s dedication to its teams and student-athletes. Throughout the past several years there have been many additions and renovations to the athletic facilities, as well as academic buildings on campus, to help propel ASU into the 21st century.

The 8,325-seat arena is complete with HLES offices, classrooms, state-of-the-art laboratories, team areas and retractable seating for concerts, special events, volleyball and basketball competition and more.

A 300-meter state-of-the-art directional Mondo track circles the upper concourse and is used by the indoor track and field teams for both practice and competition.

The facility was opened with a celebration followed by a men’s basketball contest between Appalachian and North Carolina. With much anticipation, every seat was sold recording the first a pre-gameday sellout in school history for any sporting event. The athletics ticket office sold the full allotment of tickets for the inaugural contest in the Holmes Center 12 minutes after opening.

The Appalachian student section is a priority. Student seating is located at midcourt for both volleyball and basketball.

Public service, a cornerstone upon which Appalachian was founded, is the hallmark of two individuals who names will adorn the University’s convocation center.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;266290]Liar, I don’t believe it![/QUOTE]
talked to jim and i’m bringing like 5 other people to the game possibly and i’m paying to get in. you better believe it.

We’ll take your money, dax the traitor! :tongue:

[QUOTE=HP49er;266521]We’ll take your money, dax the traitor! :tongue:[/QUOTE]i’ve been paying for games for about 3 years now. even when i was a student. i think the AD likes my buying tickets when i really didn’t have to.

App’s largest home crowd was against us the last time we played them up there. That season used to be the season we didn’t like to talk about. The arena was about half full… half empty too.

Their win was considered a major upset at the time. My drive back to Charlotte was much longer than the drive up.

[QUOTE=agentpaul001;266483](App Fan)

Cheers :slight_smile: Should be a great game, hoping to be there.[/QUOTE]

Good to see you Agent Paul, I noticed how you were the most active poster on App Country (well at least the basketball section).

The game should be fun, I know App will have at least a decent prescence. BTW, Welcome to Niner Nation.

Yah I’m fairly active at AppCountry and a few of the other SOCON Message boards (DavidsonCats.com is the biggest overall I’d say).

With the new App Rivals website and the already large Mountaineer Message Board, it gets busy trying to concentrate one one lol, however Dax was right in pointing you to AC, since its more a student and younger alumni forum and it should heat up even more during basketball season.

Looks like you guys are really busy over here though, I bet your gameday threads are just about realtime :stuck_out_tongue:

Either way I can’t wait for next monday, looks like I’ll be making the trip down to Charlotte with a group as well, need to see this game in person :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=agentpaul001;266612]Yah I’m fairly active at AppCountry and a few of the other SOCON Message boards (DavidsonCats.com is the biggest overall I’d say).

With the new App Rivals website and the already large Mountaineer Message Board, it gets busy trying to concentrate one one lol, however Dax was right in pointing you to AC, since its more a student and younger alumni forum and it should heat up even more during basketball season.

Looks like you guys are really busy over here though, I bet your gameday threads are just about realtime :stuck_out_tongue:

Either way I can’t wait for next monday, looks like I’ll be making the trip down to Charlotte with a group as well, need to see this game in person :)[/QUOTE]

look for me. i’ll more than likely have a charlotte jersey on (constructed of body paint). app country is a great website. bunch of nice guys on that board.

[QUOTE=agentpaul001;266612]Yah I’m fairly active at AppCountry and a few of the other SOCON Message boards (DavidsonCats.com is the biggest overall I’d say).

Either way I can’t wait for next monday, looks like I’ll be making the trip down to Charlotte with a group as well, need to see this game in person :)[/QUOTE]

Usually the gameday threads don’t get overly long in length like at other sites you see because of the shoutbox… The shoutbox helps limit that by A LOT!