HPU and App State message boards

Figured Iā€™d throw this in here:

http://www.goasu.com/article/11263/

November 7, 2007 - As the final week of preseason practice draws to a close and the season opener at Charlotte draws closer on the horizon, Houston Fancher and the Mountaineers are smoothing out the teamā€™s last rough edges before setting their sights fully on the 49ers.

ā€œThis week we are spending as much time as possible on ourselves,ā€ said Fancher. ā€œThis week is all about Appalachian and our team. After Charlotteā€™s game on Friday, weā€™ll begin to implement our gameplan for them and spend two hard days preparing for what we may see from them.ā€

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;266495]I know App has 12-15,000ish students and another 15,000 residents in the town, but a 10,000 seat arena for a SoCon team that hasnā€™t done much in its history seems quite excessive. Why would they build something that big? Do they have a lot of other events in there or is it primarily just basketball?[/QUOTE]

Last time I was up there, it reminded me of a big gym. Have they built something new since 2000?

Very nice facility, Holmes Convocation Center.

Wow!

We just had our preseason ā€œcelebrationā€ and it was definitely different this year. Our coach called out the student body for not attending enough games, and he appears very confident this could be an NCAA team. He was hyping up the matchup with Davidson, but they also mentioned our game in a few days aginst you guys, and he wants anyone living aroud Charlotte to be there.

As for the actual teamā€¦BIG! I mean BIG! Weā€™ve got three guys around 6ā€™9 and theyā€™ve been pumping some iron, should be strong inside. Shooting seems fairly good. They played some inter-squad ball, and obviously you can only take so much from that, but its obvious that we need some guard work.

I also noticed our guys seemed a bit slow on their feet when crossing the court, if Charlotte runs a lot that will be a factor. But I really think that our Post Game is looking very good, and Charlotte is going to need to come up with some gameplan to either shut down our big guys down low OR just try to out score us. Because Minter looks like a beast

Overall, I think Turnovers will the ā€œdecidingā€ point. Early in the season, both squads getting adjusted to the gameplay, ball handling will be very important.

Should be a very good game.

Agentpaul, we wonā€™t need a gameplan to shut down your big men. You will need a game plan to shut down Big Phil and company. I guarantee you that you donā€™t have anyone as athletic as Mack and Coley. I watched you guys play against Elon last year when you blew a lead down the stretch to an awful team. Should be an interesting coaching matchup between Lutz and Fancher.

[QUOTE=agentpaul001;267156]Wow!

We just had our preseason ā€œcelebrationā€ and it was definitely different this year. Our coach called out the student body for not attending enough games, and he appears very confident this could be an NCAA team. He was hyping up the matchup with Davidson, but they also mentioned our game in a few days aginst you guys, and he wants anyone living aroud Charlotte to be there.

As for the actual teamā€¦BIG! I mean BIG! Weā€™ve got three guys around 6ā€™9 and theyā€™ve been pumping some iron, should be strong inside. Shooting seems fairly good. They played some inter-squad ball, and obviously you can only take so much from that, but its obvious that we need some guard work.

I also noticed our guys seemed a bit slow on their feet when crossing the court, if Charlotte runs a lot that will be a factor. But I really think that our Post Game is looking very good, and Charlotte is going to need to come up with some gameplan to either shut down our big guys down low OR just try to out score us. Because Minter looks like a beast

Overall, I think Turnovers will the ā€œdecidingā€ point. Early in the season, both squads getting adjusted to the gameplay, ball handling will be very important.

Should be a very good game.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting. Some good info here.

It sounds like you bring stuff to the table that is very different than High Point- a team that is small & quick. Not a lot of time between games for Charlotte to come up with a different gameplan, either.

[QUOTE=survivor45;267161]Very interesting. Some good info here.

It sounds like you bring stuff to the table that is very different than High Point- a team that is small & quick. Not a lot of time between games for Charlotte to come up with a different gameplan, either.[/QUOTE]

glad we have two days between games now. instead of that back to back game basically last year.

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;267159]Agentpaul, we wonā€™t need a gameplan to shut down your big men. You will need a game plan to shut down Big Phil and company. I guarantee you that you donā€™t have anyone as athletic as Mack and Coley. I watched you guys play against Elon last year when you blew a lead down the stretch to an awful team. Should be an interesting coaching matchup between Lutz and Fancher.[/QUOTE]

From what Iā€™ve seen from Mack, he isnā€™t all that athletic, just can shoot well from anywhere on the floor, and can actually play some post D.

Now Anjuan, Coley, and Dewhurst, well athleticism off the charts.

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;267159]Agentpaul, we wonā€™t need a gameplan to shut down your big men. You will need a game plan to shut down Big Phil and company. [/QUOTE]

Hells yeah, tell him Ruckus, we donā€™t gameplan against anyone, we just take names and dominate!!! :smile:

glad we have two days between games now. instead of that back to back game basically last year.

What do you mean basically last year? It was last year, what a catastrophe that was, beat Hofstra on Saturday, get embarrassed by North Texas on Sunday. That was no good. I think we learned our lesson though.

To clarify, youā€™ll have to outscore us to beat us, durrr :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE]I watched you guys play against Elon last year when you blew a lead down the stretch to an awful team. [/QUOTE]

That was arguably the worst game we played all season, or one of the worst. In-fact its the ONLY game Coach Fancher mentioned at the rally and he was still pissed about it. Most of the school considers that a big part of why we didnā€™t make the NCAA tourney.

If you are basing most of your assumptiong about App based on that game, I think your in for a rude awakening :slight_smile:

Believe me this will be an intense game, and itā€™ll be an important win for either team.

[QUOTE=survivor45;267161]It sounds like you bring stuff to the table that is very different than High Point- a team that is small & quick. Not a lot of time between games for Charlotte to come up with a different gameplan, either.[/QUOTE]

Psh, whatever table they bring it on doesnā€™t matter. Charlie Coley will dunk over it stillā€¦ :biggrin:

and whoā€™s fault was that???

Hello All, Appalachian State Student here.
Just want you to know I support you guys in the fight for football, you have no idea what it can do for your University. Will be making it down the mountain to watch the game on Monday (graduated from Providence High in 04). Hopefully I will get there early enough to show you guys how to tailgate! Besides Appcountry.com, check out forums.delphiforums.com/appstate/messages for some older, viewpoints.

Niners beat a team tonight that is better than App State. AZ Reid is the real deal.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;267447]Niners beat a team tonight that is better than App State. [/QUOTE]

lolā€¦ Lutz just said the exact opposite in his post game interview.

I agreeā€¦ Reid does not suck.

haha, well, I doubt they have a player close to as good as Reid was. He was a real play maker.

I just wonder if he is going to get stuck with the tweener tag in pro ball and not make it, cause he has all the skills.

haha, well, I doubt they have a player close to as good as Reid was. He was a real play maker.

I just wonder if he is going to get stuck with the tweener tag in pro ball and not make it, cause he has all the skills.

heā€™s got the skillā€¦i think heā€™s gotta play the 3 if that in nbaā€¦heā€™s only 6ā€™5 and thatā€™s a joke at PF.

Well 3 or 2.

I just donā€™t know that heā€™s big enough to be a solid 3 in the NBA, but he does have a nice shot. I wish we had him.

[QUOTE=ninerball49;267467]heā€™s got the skillā€¦i think heā€™s gotta play the 3 if that in nbaā€¦heā€™s only 6ā€™5 and thatā€™s a joke at PF.[/QUOTE]

Yea but at High Point they donā€™t have the luxuary of big men like bigger schools do. AZ is an EXCELLENT rebounder so you play him at the 4 to maximize his rebounding potential (especially at the defensive end). I thought we defended him great tonight, even though he still had over 20 i believe. I thought the gameplan was great, defend AZ the best you can and attack the other players when they get the ball.