I guess my Observer...

…was missing some info in the A-10 roundup…we are in the A-10 right? we are local right? i realize there’s a lot going on, but not even a box score? That sucks!

that space was used up because of the entire front page advertiesment for unc-chapel hill. they took up the entire front page and almost all of the last page. that’s all it was. a damn advertisement promoting the tarholes.

i was not expecting our game story on the front page but i did expect the BIG panther game to be the primary story. i think the observer sports editor has told us many times the panthers are the top priority in charlotte. we all know how truthful and ethical he is.

on the other hand if last night took us to 8-0 things would be different too

[QUOTE=ninerID;142881]on the other hand if last night took us to 8-0 things would be different too[/QUOTE]

i respectfully disagree (or were you using a little sarcasm?). the tarholes take priority over us and would stil have the entire front page even if they were 0-8.

are certain members of the big o staff still having meetings with outsiders to determine how to maintain the acc popularity in charlotte? i know they were worried at one time because most of the out-of-staters moving in could care less about the acc.

Devil’s Advocate: The Tarholes were projected to do NOTHING this year given all they lost. And they took a freshman-loaded team into Kentucky and pulled off a huge upset. I may be wrong, but I think that was the first time any UNC team has even won there. Not exactly what I wanted to see splattered across my front page but in my opinion, it’s the biggest story of the day. You could make a case for the Panthers/Falcons game though.

[QUOTE=iam4uncc;142877]…was missing some info in the A-10 roundup…we are in the A-10 right? we are local right? i realize there’s a lot going on, but not even a box score? That sucks![/QUOTE]

It made the version I get in Lincoln county. Very short and it did refer to us as Bobcats as someone else pointed out. Large photo. From waht I understand, budget is tight because of Knight-Ridder’s financial problems so we get AP stories and Observer News Services instead of beat-writer.

the sports editor has told us numerous times that the panthers and nascar are by far the biggest stories in town. they should be. not the tarholes.

they need to fire the entire sports staff and breing a team from the west coast or other area that will not be biased and prejudiced and tarhole loving in their coverage.

way too many “close” ties the way it is now.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;142886]Devil’s Advocate: The Tarholes were projected to do NOTHING this year given all they lost. And they took a freshman-loaded team into Kentucky and pulled off a huge upset. I may be wrong, but I think that was the first time any UNC team has even won there. Not exactly what I wanted to see splattered across my front page but in my opinion, it’s the biggest story of the day. You could make a case for the Panthers/Falcons game though.[/QUOTE]

It is a good story and yes more Basketball fans in Charlotte care about Carolina-Kentucky than Charlotte-Laffayette.

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;142889]It is a good story and yes more Basketball fans in Charlotte care about Carolina-Kentucky than Charlotte-Laffayette.[/QUOTE]

they should. the observer runs front page advertisements for unc-chapel hill all the time. i assure they do not want our popularity to increase.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;142887]From waht I understand, budget is tight because of Knight-Ridder’s financial problems so we get AP stories and Observer News Services instead of beat-writer.[/QUOTE]

tight budget? then why did they give unc-chapel hill TWO ENTIRE PAGES?

i have access to a survey that says less than 20% of people in charlotte like the tarholes. i’m writing knight ridder and ask them why they let the sports editor make the other 80+ percent suffer.

i respectfully disagree (or were you using a little sarcasm?). the tarholes take priority over us and would stil have the entire front page even if they were 0-8.

are certain members of the big o staff still having meetings with outsiders to determine how to maintain the acc popularity in charlotte? i know they were worried at one time because most of the out-of-staters moving in could care less about the acc.

if we were 8-0 it would at least get a bigger mention, i hate the heels as much as the next person, but having ACC stories pays the bills. Us beating LL isnt really a huge story. Davidson was a story b/c it combined two smaller markets and made a much larger one. Davidson beat Appalachin yesterday, was their article bigger? We have to do our job on the court before we worry about the job that people at the O do. What analysis are you looking to gain from the O anyway? I would rather have no mention than have sorenson throw in his two cents anyday. People dont read the paper as much as they used to, its mostly internet, celebrate the fact that we now have this site, espn, cnnsi.com, and of course jason jordan so that we dont all become zombies who think chapel hill gives a crap about us while we go to the basketball hoop on the shed of the neighborhood trailer park dreaming we are playing for horseface wearing our walmart carolina gear.

many of you have recently posted we do not have much following from the charlotte community. how can we when the observer has smothered any success we have had in recent years with their acc/chapel hill advertising?

most sports fans in charlotte do not realize we’ve been as successful as we have. as others have stated numerous times. it is not by accident.

“budget crunch” and they still devote TWO pages to the unc-chapel hill win. that’s total BS.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;142888]the sports editor has told us numerous times that the panthers and nascar are by far the biggest stories in town. they should be. not the tarholes.

they need to fire the entire sports staff and breing a team from the west coast or other area that will not be biased and prejudiced and tarhole loving in their coverage.

way too many “close” ties the way it is now.[/QUOTE]

You better be careful or Persinger will come on here and start threatening to sue people again.

Now THAT is FUNNY

luckily the Observer/Knight Ridder is For Sale, hope for a good buyer

Who cares about the disturber. After all, they’re located in chapel hole anyway. I’m hanging on to my quarter.

They beat Kentucky. We beat Louisiana. Was the coverage excessive? Perhaps. But was it front page material? Yes.

In the Concord edition, I guess a 10:00pm game ending is far too late to have any mention in the Little O at all.

Guys – I want coverage as much as anyone here. But ya gotta undestand simple newspaper rules - print what sells. A newspaper is out there to make money. While the Niners would sell papers, you know the Tarheels sell more due to their following here. I don’t think anyone will argue that we’re more popular than UNC. And honestly, with the beginning of this season, we haven’t done a whole lot to warrant more coverage. We’ve lost to some teams we definitely shouldn’t have and barely beaten the others we should have beaten easily.

[QUOTE=SF4Nynah;142917]Guys – I want coverage as much as anyone here. But ya gotta undestand simple newspaper rules - print what sells. A newspaper is out there to make money. While the Niners would sell papers, you know the Tarheels sell more due to their following here. I don’t think anyone will argue that we’re more popular than UNC. And honestly, with the beginning of this season, we haven’t done a whole lot to warrant more coverage. We’ve lost to some teams we definitely shouldn’t have and barely beaten the others we should have beaten easily.[/QUOTE]

I’m from a totally different school of thought.

I’ll use St. John’s as an example. That’s a school out of New York City whose program has fallen on some pretty rough times. Say you pick up a New York Daily Post or a New York Daily News - you will see that it is the #1 covered men’s basketball team. Win or lose, the team makes headlines. The newspapers obviously hope the local team wins so they can sell more newspapers, but they don’t abandon the team to give publicity to a better team 100 miles away.

Because of the coverage, the school has built a following. People in that area may never have set foot on the campus, but will recognize the name ‘Mike Jarvis’. If that school tasted the success we’ve had in the past 10 years…oh my god, the newspapers and the casual fans would flip. Does our hometown newspaper and casual fans flip over our success? Hell no. We’re practically apologetic. And for some inexplicable reason, we try to rationalize other teams getting more coverage.

“no way to fight the fact” Tom? I can think of one way to “fight” it. WRITE ABOUT IT IN THE SPORTS PAGES OF YOUR NEWSPAPER!