I guess my Observer...

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;143014]ā€¦but Iā€™m SHOCKED that the story could make it to print with a reference to the Bobcats. My 5 year old dog could sniff that mistake out.[/QUOTE]

That was on the web in the AP story, not in our city edition of the print version, so we caught it. I donā€™t have the early edition, but since some on here said the game wasnā€™t in the early edition, I donā€™t think we published that mistake.

I noticed Mike did not answer this question:

Gardner Webb almost beat chapel hill earlier this year. If Gardner Webb had won that game, would the write-up have taken up 2 pages, including the entire front page? In many ways, a win by Gardner Webb over chapel hill would have been an even bigger story.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;143017]That was on the web in the AP story, not in our city edition of the print version, so we caught it. I donā€™t have the early edition, but since some on here said the game wasnā€™t in the early edition, I donā€™t think we published that mistake.[/QUOTE]

Glad you did find itā€¦but I read it in a paper delivered to the 28269 ZIP Code, not online.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;143018]I noticed Mike did not answer this question:

Gardner Webb almost beat chapel hill earlier this year. If Gardner Webb had won that game, would the write-up have taken up 2 pages, including the entire front page? In many ways, a win by Gardner Webb over chapel hill would have been an even bigger story.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, Over40, it would have been a big story. The situation was different because it was a night game instead of a day game and Clemson-South Carolina football was the story of the day, but it would have been a big deal, and weā€™d have gone the next day, probably, to Boiling Springs to write about Gardner Webbā€™s program to follow our game coverage (which included a story and a picture as it was). As it is, weā€™ll be going there soon to write about them. Every situation is different. Next Sundayā€™s paper, for instance, will be a challenge because of all thatā€™s going on.

[QUOTE] We have skipped some games, and will skip some upcoming games (including North Carolina at Southern Cal; Duke in the preseason NIT semis and final, the ACC football championship, Wake Forest in Coaches for Cancer in New York, and N.C. State at Iowa in Big 10 ACC challenge, to name a few) to save travel money.[/QUOTE]

Well you are not the hometown papaer of the above listed schools. Iā€™m sure that Raleigh and Durham had writers covering these games, as they should. Itā€™s really not your papers resposibility to cover these games.

The issue is you act like you are the home town paper for Chapel Hill, Duke and NC State.

[QUOTE=49erpi;143023]Well you are not the hometown papaer of the above listed schools. Iā€™m sure that Raleigh and Durham had writers covering these games, as they should. Itā€™s really not your papers resposibility to cover these games.

The issue is you act like you are the home town paper for Chapel Hill, Duke and NC State.[/QUOTE]

Very true Mikeā€¦please respond!!!

Although I understand that ACC is a bigger draw around the area, I think that the first priority should be covering the hometown schools. Especially nationally recognized programs such as ours. If we feel this was, I canā€™t imagine how programs like Davidson and JCSU feel!!!

MIke, you have also dodged my question. You gave us the run-around without answering the question.

Here it is again, without the additional comment.

ā€œGardner Webb almost beat chapel hill earlier this year. If Gardner Webb had won that game, would the write-up have taken up 2 pages, including the entire front page?ā€

Allow me to answer it for you. The answer is NO.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;143026] Allow me to answer it for you. The answer is NO.[/QUOTE]

In that Sundayā€™s paper, youā€™re right.

[QUOTE=casstommy;143025] I think that the first priority should be covering the hometown schools. [/QUOTE]

Weā€™ll agree, again this year, to disagree. Some days, like when they play Cincinnati or Indiana or Wake Forest, the Niners are the biggest story. Some days theyā€™re not. You guys get more excited and point to certain games, and we all know which ones, and those are the kinds of games that sell papers, mostly when the team from the Carolinas wins. UNC-Kentucky clearly, CLEARLY fits that criteria.

I donā€™t have the option of being so parochial as to downplay the ACC, one of our most popular sports topics, just because of geography.

I think the Observer does a good job of covering the Niners. We donā€™t have the fan base of the bigger schools, which means most of Charlotte is not sitting on the edge of their seats to read about our team. Action 64 had to drop carrying our games due to bad ratings a couple of years ago. If we put a big time product on the floor, weā€™ll get bit time coverage.

the observer/media debate always reminds me of the godfather, when they are stategizing on getting vengence for vitoā€™s attempted murder, they want to take out the corrupt Police Captain. At first he was considered off limits, then michael notes that they have reporters on the payroll that would probably like some stories about the captains corruptionā€¦michael then gets justice and the newspaper proceeds to run stories on the corruption of the captain, that he was a ā€˜bad copā€™ to help the family in the PR deptā€¦of course this is a movie, but the substance of it is still true today. of course the mob also did this with the music industry, paying or knocking heads of the DJā€™s to play certain artistā€¦to CREATE demand

therefore the obvious solution to our media problem is for judy and lutz to go gangter and pay off Mr. Persinger for better coverage, or just make him an offer he canā€™t refuse;)

if Chapel Hill doesnā€™t have the Observer on the payroll, the observer should send them a bill.

I wonder how Winthrop feels about all of this. They received 4 votes for the top 25.

of course Billboards are another way to pay for advertisement and create demand, only problem is lutz doesnā€™t put a good product on the floor when they attempt this strategy.

When we beat IU and 'Cuse, both on the road, we got nice write ups both times, and deservedly so. We stink it up against teams we should beat and even I donā€™t care whatā€™s written or where. But thatā€™s just me.
Iā€™m STILL pissed that we were ranked as high as 18th late last year and lost our last 4 games. We were poised to make some noise down the stretch and the ONLY noise Iā€™ve heard SINCE is our team going doing the toilet and Lutz auditioning for other jobs. Unless we pull out of what seems to be a debacle of a year now, coverage by the local ā€œnewsā€ rag is the LAST thing Iā€™m gonna worry about.

First , when I hear things about the Big O being sold, and if I worked there, I would be concerned.

I have been thru three ā€œreorgsā€ with a very large insurance company, and the
bottom line is to cut costs. Donā€™t think you are invaluable.

Second, in the future I believe unless a printed newspaper can find a niche, ie provide coverage of LOCAL news and SPORTS they are doomed to failure,

Whether we like it or not, the news will go the way of the internet. Donā€™t fool yourself into thinking there will always be a written newspaper.

The printed sports page is the second most obsolete thing in sports, next to the local news sports which has been dead for 10 years.

[QUOTE=49erpi;143060]The printed sports page is the second most obsolete thing in sports.[/QUOTE]

Itā€™s not obsolete yet. It might be, but not when we make the healthy profit we make today. If it goes away, and yes I believe it could at some point because better deliver options will be available that donā€™t involve newsprint, who will ā€œpromoteā€ your program to those who donā€™t know about it? This website, which is visited only by devotees? Nope. Charlotte.com will, the third-most visited website in the Charlotte region behind Yahoo! and Google, because it will still be drawing the general, local audience from which ā€œnewā€ fans of your program will come. And we own that, too. So thereā€™s a model for the future, and The Observer will be heading that way, itā€™s clear. Whether your eyeballs fall on the printed paper or on our coverage online (and thereā€™s not better coverage of your program anywhere else), youā€™re helping our bottom line. For that, I thank you.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;143063]And we own that, too. So thereā€™s a model for the future, and The Observer will be heading that way, itā€™s clear. Whether your eyeballs fall on the printed paper or on our coverage online (and thereā€™s not better coverage of your program anywhere else), youā€™re helping our bottom line. For that, I thank you.[/QUOTE]

Donā€™t thank me. I donā€™t buy or read your paper and I donā€™t read Charlotte.com.

I think youā€™re missing my point. I donā€™t say that the printed sports is obsolete because of the on-line version. Donā€™t flatter yourself. It is the nationl online sports media that is killing printed local sports.

And yes, the sports page is obsolete and has been for years. Why wait until the next day to see a box score only to find out that the observer didnā€™t run it beccause the game ended after 8pm. Please.

I donā€™t know one person that thinks the observer is worth a sh*t. It is an embarrassment to the city. Nothing but AP articles, strip club ads and losers like tom sorenson writing meaningless drab.

[QUOTE]Itā€™s not obsolete yet. It might be, but not when we make the healthy profit we make today.[/QUOTE]

Where is this ā€œhealthy profitā€ when you claim you canā€™t hire people because of funding and you canā€™t cover acc events and Niner games because of money.

There is a lot of double talk out of you, but that is nothing new.

Iā€™ve already said all that I have to say on this subject - I think both sides have good points, but Iā€™m biased towards the position that the Observer is failing in its local coverage, Niners included.

But I canā€™t help reposting this email from someone I know. The people in her office are a cross section of the Observerā€™s age 20-40 demo, including fans of several teams and sports. Hereā€™s the email:

[QUOTE]All the guys in my office were just complaining about the Observer Sports section. [Name omitted] did the new Charlotte Marathon this week and they didnā€™t get much coverage. There were pics of feet running from the race and not much else. It sparked talk of how the Sports writers donā€™t do enough local coverage for the paper. All they care about is football, NASCAR (and itā€™s been over for 2 weeks) and the ACC basketball teams - primarily UNC. They talked about how Davidson, UNCC and Winthrop donā€™t get nearly enough coverage and locally we have good teams. Basically they all said the Observer Sports guys suck.[/QUOTE]

I think the Observerā€™s coverage is ok. Not great but ok. But Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m beginning to see a change in reporting habits. Today we have another story on the front page regarding Ric Flairā€™s divorce. Is this really news? I can understand the road rage incident being reported but his divorce is personal. It seems to me the Observer is turning into a weekly tabloid that you find in the grocery store lines. Find something else to occupy the front pages with, such as oh I donā€™t the war in Iraq or something else newsworthy.