I hate to look ahead

Yea I agree. When Phil gets the ball with space in the lane. I want to see him take the J each time. He has a nice shot. His hook is still raw, but he can work on that. Big man camp this summer would do wonders for him imo.

Iā€™d like to see him go up a lot stronger when he is close to the basket.

He's had a couple of good games.

I am not saying Phil Jones is going to be Tim Duncan, but he certain is the best center prospect weā€™ve had in a while. He just needs time to develop. Big men always take a long time to develop. Look at Okafor (again, I donā€™t think Jones is Okafor), he wasnā€™t a big time recruit coming out of high school, but he developed his game and became a big time player.

Yea I agree, I mean we could always get Iti Jr.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;295204]Iā€™d like to see him go up a lot stronger when he is close to the basket.[/QUOTE]

You and everyone else. He is just not Coley or even Gaby (who I think should see more minutes). But, if he can get stronger and build his endurance, he will be a force in the middle. He could be a 10/10 guy by his senior year, and we wont even need him to be the shot blocker he will be, because Gaby will be manning the paint as well. Weā€™re going to be very hard to score on when they are starting.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;295190]Lamont will be the number 1 three-point threat. I disagree with your hovering theory however. He only takes threes early in the shot clock, because he looks to receive a pass at the beginning of the possesion, if he doesnā€™t receive the ball he heads inside. I just hope Bowden can really fill up the basket. If Javarris Barnett gets 10-15 min/game, Iā€™ll be pleasantly surprised. He is redshirting for a reason. When was the last time we had a non-medical redshirt play a ton of minutes the next year? Or even several years later? He doesnā€™t seem to make a lot of shots in practice or warm-ups. If he ever actually finds his shot, he could be dangerous. Seems to have a quite a bit of upside, but I seriously doubt heā€™ll see more than five minutes per game next season, that is being generous.[/QUOTE]

If we have a 6ā€™6" guard that is that uncoordinated, I will be very upset. He could be getting a redshirt because he is growing so quickly and canā€™t handle his body. Also, we have too many people at the SG position already. I donā€™t know what he will do, but I do know that kind of size at that position is hard to come by. He probably wont be a superstar next year, but I hope we find some way to see how he plays in the flow of the game.

Lamont Mack does not shoot the three well enough to be our #1 threat. Teams play off of him now outside the arc, because he isnā€™t a real threat. I would imagine that opposing coaches WANT him to shoot for oh so many reasons. Ian is a threat, but he is not starter material right now.

Lamont will be the number 1 three-point threat. I disagree with your hovering theory however. He only takes threes early in the shot clock, because he looks to receive a pass at the beginning of the possesion, if he doesn't receive the ball he heads inside. I just hope Bowden can really fill up the basket. If Javarris Barnett gets 10-15 min/game, I'll be pleasantly surprised. He is redshirting for a reason. When was the last time we had a non-medical redshirt play a ton of minutes the next year? Or even several years later? He doesn't seem to make a lot of shots in practice or warm-ups. If he ever actually finds his shot, he could be dangerous. Seems to have a quite a bit of upside, but I seriously doubt he'll see more than five minutes per game next season, that is being generous.

Not sure what the situation was surrounding Dewhurst but he seems to be a key figure this year. I guess I was just being optimistic that barnett could improve. I was skeptical about signing him because he wasnā€™t recruited at all until one fabulous weekend of HS basketball.

I agree that mack will probably take more 3 point shots, but I disagree that he will be the #1 threat. He should only take 1 or 2 attempts per game.

Not sure what the situation was surrounding Dewhurst but he seems to be a key figure this year. I guess I was just being optimistic that barnett could improve. I was skeptical about signing him because he wasn't recruited at all until one fabulous weekend of HS basketball.

I agree that mack will probably take more 3 point shots, but I disagree that he will be the #1 threat. He should only take 1 or 2 attempts per game.

Dewberry was a medical redshirt. Heā€™ll take way more than 1 or 2 shots per game. He takes more than that now and with Lee graduating, heā€™ll take more still. He is the number 2 option right now and with the number 1 leaving, that puts him at number 1.

We should be able to replace a six-foot SG.

Then that is not good for us. He should be more of a F/PF type of guy instead of a F/SF

[QUOTE=uncommon-niner;295218]Then that is not good for us. He should be more of a F/PF type of guy instead of a F/SF[/QUOTE]

I think he should take 3-4 threes a game unless they are dropping. Especially if the defenses are playing off of him.

I think he should take 3-4 threes a game unless they are dropping. Especially if the defenses are playing off of him.

5 at the most, and thats if he has made 3 already. Seriously, we have guys who can shoot the three pointer and thats ALL they do (Andersen) so let them do thier job. Mack should be an inside the arc jump shooter.

[QUOTE=uncommon-niner;295223]5 at the most, and thats if he has made 3 already. Seriously, we have guys who can shoot the three pointer and thats ALL they do (Andersen) so let them do thier job. Mack should be an inside the arc jump shooter.[/QUOTE]

Youā€™re preaching to the choir here.

He had one three where he was wide open from the top of the key (the defender was probably 8 feet away) and he bricked it. But I was actually happy with him taking that one, as I think he can hit those when he's that open. Some of the other shots from way way out, when he got the first pass down the floor, were really bad decisions. Those are the shots Lutz needs to get him to stop shooting. At least one of those led directly to a Xavier fast break for a lay-up too.

The problem with Mack inside is he is on the short side for inside, but doesnā€™t make up for height in quickness, he just isnā€™t very quick.

His mid-range game is his best game, but because we usually only have 2 guys on the court at the same time that can shoot (Lee & Mack), he is outside of the 3 point line.

Lutz needs more shooters than he currently has to run the offense the way he wants to.

Fun to read the Phil discussion. I am not so sure he has a great shot, his shots appear off and rushed. My question is will Lutz actually use him effectively? I believe the 3ā€™s you see Leemire taking will be taken by Ian and or Mack next season. Mack already appears to be 3 point happy. I would love to see us throw the ball down low and let Phil post up consistantly as he gets better. But I never felt we effectively used Curtis in the post and I am doubtful we will with Phi. Bobby loves the 3 folks.

I hope I am wrong but the way we play and the way we appear to be coached, I just hope that we recruit GREAT 3 point shooters and guys rebound the missed shots and we score that way.

Fun to read the Phil discussion. I am not so sure he has a great shot, his shots appear off and rushed. My question is will Lutz actually use him effectively? I believe the 3's you see Leemire taking will be taken by Ian and or Mack next season. Mack already appears to be 3 point happy. I would love to see us throw the ball down low and let Phil post up consistantly as he gets better. But I never felt we effectively used Curtis in the post and I am doubtful we will with Phi. Bobby loves the 3 folks.

I hope I am wrong but the way we play and the way we appear to be coached, I just hope that we recruit GREAT 3 point shooters and guys rebound the missed shots and we score that way.

Andersenā€™s shot is too deliberate, heā€™ll get blocked all day if he starts

But I never felt we effectively used Curtis in the post and I am doubtful we will with Phi. Bobby loves the 3 folks.
Our use of Withers his senior season still pisses me off. We rarely got him the ball in a good position to score, particularly against some of the smaller A-10 teams. He had the ability to dominate down low and draw a ton of fouls, and we often relegated him to rebounding bricked threes. What a travesty!
Our use of Withers his senior season still pisses me off. We rarely got him the ball in a good position to score, particularly against some of the smaller A-10 teams. He had the ability to dominate down low and draw a ton of fouls, and we often relegated him to rebounding bricked threes. What a travesty!

It didnt help that Mitch couldnt figure out the entry pass to save his life. Our lack of a point guard really killed us the past 2 yrs.

[QUOTE=9erken;295250]Our use of Withers his senior season still pisses me off. We rarely got him the ball in a good position to score, particularly against some of the smaller A-10 teams. He had the ability to dominate down low and draw a ton of fouls, and we often relegated him to rebounding bricked threes. What a travesty![/QUOTE]

The first word of this post is off. It isnā€™t ā€œourā€ use, it was Lutzā€™s. The rest of the post is money.

Iā€™ll never forget drinking with Cincy fans after the 04 game. They told me to thank Lutz for not giving Curt the ball the final seven minutes.

Or seeing us on the deuce his senior year after he abused somebody one on one, and the commentator said, ā€œwhy do the Niners not just do that every time down the floor?ā€

Or against a Duqense team that might have won three games in 06. I want to say Curt fouled out at least three players on his own. They couldnā€™t stop his moves, so they would just grab his elbow as he was passing by them.

I would love to see a transition from outside game to inside game in the next 2-3 years. I think lutz will have a better chance at landing the 3 point stud if he can solidify the inside, which in my opinion is the core, most important part of a team.

What is a team of 3 point shooters if its one and done 3/4 shots taken? We need to shoot 10-15 3 point attempts per game and get the rest of our points on mid range jumpers, dunks and free throws. Its fundamental!

The first word of this post is off. It isn't "our" use, it was Lutz's. The rest of the post is money.

Iā€™ll never forget drinking with Cincy fans after the 04 game. They told me to thank Lutz for not giving Curt the ball the final seven minutes.

Or seeing us on the deuce his senior year after he abused somebody one on one, and the commentator said, ā€œwhy do the Niners not just do that every time down the floor?ā€

Or against a Duqense team that might have won three games in 06. I want to say Curt fouled out at least three players on his own. They couldnā€™t stop his moves, so they would just grab his elbow as he was passing by them.

You need to bail on the Lutz hating thing. You act like the past 2 years is the only part of his resume. Remember its all about performing in comparison to your resources.