I hesitate to post this...

I hesitate to post this, but saw this AM in the O that Steph Curry would be happy to one day play for the home team.

As much as I hate his soon-to-be alma mater [whose name is not worthy to be mentioned here], I would be thrilled to have him here in CLT playing for the Bobcats. I look at this a lot like I look at Cam Newton - I was NOT happy when we picked him up due to his playing at Auburn [sorry, UNCCTF] and all the sketch that encompassed his single season there. But, before the season ever started I embraced the idea of him becoming a Panther, because I believed that he could be a superstar [thus far, he’s on the right track] and he played for MY team.

So - thoughts on whether we’d embrace Curry returning to CLT to play for MJ and the Cats [maybe they’ll be the Hornets again by then]??

Note: I think he’d be successful here, as long as he doesn’t have to play Leemire!

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2011/09/playing-at-home-appeals-to-steph-curry.html

I would be ecstatic if the Bcats landed Curry. He is a flat out scoring machine. I don’t care where he went to school.

Will the NBA even have a season this year? Maybe they should shut down for a year or 2 and then start all over again and try to play basketball this time instead of the crap that league has become.

Ahh yes the same old BS.

Everything was better back in the days right…

The league has financial issues due to some terrible management and IMO too many teams, but the play on the court over the past 5-7 years has been very good.

The league has financial issues due to some terrible management

True and that is because most people no longer give a damn about the NBA.

but the play on the court over the past 5-7 years has been very good.

That is true but only during the playoffs. And the NBA is now terrible when it comes to favoring the teams that bring the most money in the form of tv viewership. The league needs to change the rules to encourage defensive play other than reaching and grabbing. They also need to add a traveling violation to the rule book because at times it looks like one does not exist. They also need to stop trying appeal only to the hip hop crowd and try appealing to an audience consisting of normal fans.

All the NBA needs to do is get rid of the luxury tax and implement a hard salary cap. The luxury tax allows super rich teams to compete.

The fact that only a handful of teams have won the NBA championship in the last 30 years is a big problem. Hard to get excited about your local team when you know the champion is likely to be one of 4 or 5 teams every season.

More parity is good for the league.

That will be an excellent start. The next thing they need to do is get rid of the bush lerague Illegal-Defense rule. That rule would be similar to baseball not allowing teams to shift defensively for a power hitter or not allowing a team to intentionally walk a batter. In football it would be the same as not allowing defenses to blitz because it may take away from offensive performances.

[quote=“Niner National, post:7, topic:25742”]All the NBA needs to do is get rid of the luxury tax and implement a hard salary cap. The luxury tax allows super rich teams to compete.

The fact that only a handful of teams have won the NBA championship in the last 30 years is a big problem. Hard to get excited about your local team when you know the champion is likely to be one of 4 or 5 teams every season.

More parity is good for the league.[/quote]

I would tell the players they have a choice non guarantee contracts and a soft cap or guarantee contracts with a hard cap. Your choice, but you can’t have both.

I agree though whatever they do they need to create parity. You have to get to a point where small markets have a shot.

Hard cap will definitely help, but not as much as it has in football or it would in baseball because there are less players on the court and on the rosters. Still, it’s the only way the little market teams will ever have a chance. And, with a hard cap, the NBA can expand to 32 teams and maybe more. Little markets could then compete knowing that the Lakers, etc, can’t outspend them to buy championships. It won’t change the NBA’s perversion of basketball and the rules, but it will help create more parity and gain audience simply because it will be a more competitive league.

I like Steph. But we’ve got Kemba. I’d say PG might be the least of the Bobcats concerns. Or at least I hope.

Good point but as you stated even a change like that will not fix all that is broken.

It won't change the NBA's perversion of basketball and the rules

IMO the perversion of basketball and the rules need changing as much as the equalization of the markets. The pro game’s boredom caused me to fall asleep at one of the Bobcat games I attended last year but that was partially due to the fact the arena was empty. The beer I had consumed had nothing to do with it.