I met Kentucky coach Billy Gillespie yesterday

I asked him if they were gonna play Louisville this year. He said yes, and I told him I hoped they beat the pants off them. I explained how I went to Charlotte and we used to play Louisville, etc.

I’ll try to recount the rest of the conversation as it happened:

Gillespie: "You went to Charlotte?"
Me: "Yeah"
Gillespie: "We played you guys a few years back, 2002 I think, when I was with Illinois, in the tournament."
Me: "Yeah, in Dayton. I was at that game. You guys beat the pants off us by like 18 points"
Gillespie: "Yeah, that was Rodney’s year, right?"
Me: (surprised that he remembered Rodney White): "Yeah, good memory!"
Gillespie: "That guy should have stayed in college."
Me: "yeah, he’s struggling in Europe last I heard."
Gillespie: "And we played Charlotte in 1999 I think, when I was with Tulsa. Beat the pants off you then, too."
Me: “Yeah, we’re pretty good at losing important games”

Seemed like a really nice guy. I was a little surprised that he had such specific memories of a random school like Charlotte from so many years ago. But I guess when you job and your life is basketball you probably would tend to retain more knowledge of it.

I don’t remember that 1999 game that he’s talking about. Either it happened in Tulsa or it was when he was an assistant at Tulsa. Anyone know what game that was?

I am sure he knows about Charlotte, Melvin helped make his career.

I believe it was in a early season tourney in the carribean. He is correct they beat us pretty good.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;253951]I am sure he knows about Charlotte, Melvin helped make his career.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. Duh.

We beat the **** out of his UTEP team (the only one of those he was actually the HC of), 86-58, on 12/18/02. Funny how he didn’t remember that.

I can’t find a box score, but I believe Demon Brown just buried another three on them.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;254030]We beat the **** out of his UTEP team (the only one of those he was actually the HC of), 86-58, on 12/18/02. Funny how he didn’t remember that.[/QUOTE]

Neither did Sideshow. Too bad, he could have stuck that to him.

Selective memory is a good thing to have in the coaching profession.

Yeah, my bad everyone.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;254030]We beat the **** out of his UTEP team (the only one of those he was actually the HC of), 86-58, on 12/18/02. Funny how he didn’t remember that.

I can’t find a box score, but I believe Demon Brown just buried another three on them.[/QUOTE]
You probably couldn’t find the box score because we played them on 12/18/[B][SIZE=3]01[/SIZE][/B], and their coach at the time was Jason Rabedeaux. So it’s a good thing Sideshow [I]didn’t[/I] bring that up, because he would’ve looked like a d!ckhead… hahaha

[URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/121801aaa.html]Charlotte 86, UTEP 58[/URL]

Tory Reed scored 13 points (5-6 FG) in 17 minutes on that UTEP team. My God…thats more embarrasing than any other stat you could find on that game.

[QUOTE=Iron9er;254043]Tory Reed scored 13 points (5-6 FG) in 17 minutes on that UTEP team. My God…thats more embarrasing than any other stat you could find on that game.[/QUOTE]
So true. Jobey was feelin’ it that night.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;254039]You probably couldn’t find the box score because we played them on 12/18/[B][SIZE=3]01[/SIZE][/B], and their coach at the time was Jason Rabedeaux. So it’s a good thing Sideshow [I]didn’t[/I] bring that up, because he would’ve looked like a d!ckhead… hahaha

[URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/121801aaa.html]Charlotte 86, UTEP 58[/URL][/QUOTE]

Coulda sworn he had taken over that year. He did take over in '02 though. I just had the date of the game wrong. We also pounded them [URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/122000aaa.html]the year before[/URL], in Texas, though the final score was closer. That was the game I remember Demon going off in. He had 28 and was scoring from all over the place. We were up 21 at half.

I was at that UTEP game. It was truly like watching men play boys. I was a sophomore in high school at the time and I brought a few friends up to the game. We heckled Victoriano pretty bad, haha not sure why he got singled out, but we laid into him hard.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;254070]I was at that UTEP game. It was truly like watching men play boys. I was a sophomore in high school at the time and I brought a few friends up to the game. We heckled Victoriano pretty bad, haha not sure why he got singled out, but we laid into him hard.[/QUOTE]
I think Roy Smallwood was the pep band’s chosen mark that night. I know, I know, real mature.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;253950]
Gillespie: "We played you guys a few years back, 2002 I think, when I was with Illinois, in the tournament."
Me: “Yeah, in Dayton. I was at that game. You guys beat the pants off us by like 18 points”
[/QUOTE]

More like fouled the pants off of us. That game still is a spur in my side. There were 18 fouls called on them that game, but it seemed like only about 1/3 of what they committed. In their next game against Arizona, Illinois was whistled for 36 fouls and tied the NCAA Tournament record for most players disqualified (6). Arizona set the single-game NCAA Tournament record for both free throws made (42) and free throws attempted (56) as a result of all the fouls and they were victorious.

I still remember some of our fans arguing that we needed to “lift more weights” and “we were soft”, etc., etc. We just weren’t told that football was going to played on a basketball court that game. Illinois played the same style in both games. The officials for our game were John Clougherty, Frank Bosone, and William Bush. For the Arizona game, they had Tim Higgins, Michael Kitts, and Reggie Greenwood. Don’t know if we got the little-school treatment or if Clougherty’s crew just decided that “let them play” meant let them continually assault us.

I’ll step off of my soapbox now.

I like your roadsign avatar, but I hear a rumor that the state is changing the name of Highway 49 to “One Of The Many State Roads On Which You Can Get Closer To Chapel Hill”, just to piss us off! :wink:

[QUOTE=49er1;254103]I like your roadsign avatar, but I hear a rumor that the state is changing the name of Highway 49 to “One Of The Many State Roads On Which You Can Get Closer To Chapel Hill”, just to piss us off! :wink:[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I got bored the other day and started playing around with my media software. It might be cool to see if we could clean that up (i.e. make it more professional-looking) and get car stickers made.

[QUOTE=49er1;254103]I like your roadsign avatar, but I hear a rumor that the state is changing the name of Highway 49 to “One Of The Many State Roads On Which You Can Get Closer To Chapel Hill”, just to piss us off! :wink:[/QUOTE]
:lmao: