I need a fix

I need a college sports fix badly! Based on what I’m reading so far, it looks like I’ll have to travel across the border to the Palmetto state in order to see any decent football this fall. What has happened to the North Carolina football programs? I can understand the situations at Duke and Wake Forest but East Carolina’s program has fallen apart and App State isn’t what they’ve been accustomed to in the recent past. Can hoops practice get here sooner?

ACC Preseason Poll

1. Florida State
  2. Miami
  3. Virginia
    4. Clemson
  4. Maryland
  5. Virginia Tech
    7. NC State
  6. Georgia Tech
    [b]9. Wake Forest
  7. North Carolina
  8. Duke[/b]

Southern Conference Preseason Poll
1. Furman
2. Wofford

3. Georgia Southern
4. Appalachian State
5. Western Carolina

6. Chattanooga
7. The Citadel
8. Elon

Conference USA Preseason Poll

1. Louisville
  2. Memphis
  3. Southern Mississippi
  4. Texas Christian
  5. Houston
  6. Alabama Birmingham
  7. South Florida
  8. Cincinnati
  9. Tulane
    10. East Carolina
  10. Army

Wow. NC State dropped quite a bit after losing Rivers. Weren’t they #2 in the ACC preseason poll last year?

If you invert that ACC poll, you will have something close to what the basketball poll will look like.

Is Va Tech really supposed to be that bad this year? I guess losing the younger Vick will hurt more than we thought.

VT is just young but I think they’re being underrated. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if they challenge for the 3rd place spot behind FSU/Miami. Seems about right for the Wolfpack though. You simply don’t lose Phillip Rivers and expect to be close to where you were with him. With that said, they could finish 5th if they steal a couple games.

Virginia Tech is the biggest fraud program in college football. Every year they come out of the gates strong feasting on marginal teams then the collapse at the end of the year against decent conference competition. The same will hold true in the ACC only the competition wil be even stronger, no more Temple and Rutgers.
The glory years of Va Tech football left with Micheal Vick and the will be bound for the bottem half of the ACC from here on out. Bringing Va Tech into the ACC will be the biggest mistake they have ever made, especially considering in doing so they left out Syracuse which made much more sense and would have been better for football and a 100 times better for basketball.

Tell us how you really feel about the Hokies Jimmy. :stuck_out_tongue: :smirk:

[b]The glory years of Va Tech football left with Micheal Vick and the will be bound for the bottem half of the ACC from here on out. Bringing Va Tech into the ACC will be the biggest mistake they have ever made, especially considering in doing so they left out Syracuse which made much more sense and would have been better for football and a 100 times better for basketball.[/b]

Syracuse football left with McNabb. If this had been a basketball move by the ACC, I would agree with you. It wasn’t, because by adding any team they would be screwing up what they already have/had with tradition, etc. It was all about $$$$$, which led to adding football schools, most importantly Miami. Syracuse has a whopping 10-14 record over the last two years, and 4-10 Big East record for those two seasons. They went 10-3 in 2001 and beat Kansas State in a bowl game that year, but have had no better than a 7-5 record any other year since McNabb left. Since Vick departed, Tech has a 24-13 record and has made bowl appearances each year. The only thing 'Cuse had over Tech was the NY media market, which they don’t get a major part of being nearly in Canada and especially not when they’re losing. Tech made more sense in adding from their recent success as well as from a rivalry standpoint. They play Virginia every year, and have many more alumni in and around where the ACC schools are than Syracuse does. Tech will obviously hurt the ACC in basketball for a while if not always, but for football and rivalry sake they were a better choice. The ACC wanted that New York media market, but I’m glad the Virginia legislature stepped in to make Tech a part of the expansion. I personally would have rather had South Carolina and West Virginia added to the conference than Miami or BC. It would have made more sense from a rivalry standpoint, and I would love to watch SC get their @$$ kicked by ACC schools on regular basis.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Jul 27 2004, 04:46 PM [b] The glory years of Va Tech football left with Micheal Vick and the will be bound for the bottem half of the ACC from here on out. [/b]
Wake Forest must not believe in what you are saying, the Virginia Tech game is the highest priced ticket on their home schedule this season, even more than the usual over-priced University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill game.

9/18 NC A&T, $25.00 & $15.00
9/25 Boston College, $25.00 & $15.00
10/9 Virginia Tech, $40.00
10/23 Florida State, homecoming, $25.00 & $15.00
10/30 Duke, $25.00 & $15.00
11/13 North Carolina, $32.00

I will say, however, the Deacons have two excellent packages of season tickets in the Red Zone (sections 1 and 9) on the home side for $69 per seat and blanket sitting on the Deacon Hill end zone (2 adults and 2 kids) for $179. They’ve done a great job of marketing Deacon Hill to young families in Winston-Salem.

If only the football team was decent on a regular basis…

I agree HP. I bought tickets (through the Seminole website) to the Wake/FSU game and I can’t wait. Don’t really have a dog in the fight but you can’t beat college football on a crisp October afternoon. Plus, it gives me a chance to go get some wings at Ronnie’s in Clemmons as well. :slight_smile:

Jimmy, better look up VT’s bowl record in the last ten years. BTW, why are they a fraud, if winning the National Championship is your measure, there are a helluva lotta frauds.

Glad to see you agree with me Hootie.
I took your advice and looked it up, they are a very fraud like 4-6 in their last 10 bowl appearances.

Hp their tickets are so high because they’re fan’s travel so well. Let me clarify, I think they have great fans and Va Tech is one of the best places I’ve ever seen a college football game. But the football programis a paper tiger with a reputation built by Vick that they are still living off of today. I really wish they were a legitimate football power, because that’s what the ACC thought they were getting. But football powers don’t come into a supposively weak football conference and get picked to finish 6th.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Jul 28 2004, 10:46 AM [b] Glad to see you agree with me Hootie. I took your advice and looked it up, they are a very fraud like 4-6 in their last 10 bowl appearances.

Hp their tickets are so high because they’re fan’s travel so well. Let me clarify, I think they have great fans and Va Tech is one of the best places I’ve ever seen a college football game. But the football programis a paper tiger with a reputation built by Vick that they are still living off of today. I really wish they were a legitimate football power, because that’s what the ACC thought they were getting. But football powers don’t come into a supposively weak football conference and get picked to finish 6th. [/b]

First of all, I don’t think you can consider the ACC a “weak” football conference when they could carry 6-8 teams in the top 25 (depending on how well State, Clemson, Ga. Tech do.) Second, I think picking them to finish 6th, says more about the strength of the conference than it does about the weakness of Virginia Tech.

I’m not saying they’re to be put on a pedestal with Miami or FSU, but I don’t think they’re a paper tiger either. They’ll make the ACC a stronger football conference and will continue to be a top 25 team, regardless of Vick leaving. They’re a young team this year and when pitted in a conference with teams like Miami, FSU, Maryland, etc., it’s hard to rank them much higher than where they are.

jcl49er let me try to make my point more clearly:
First: The ACC is a very good football conference and now with the expansion I think a case can be made the the ACC is th ebest football conference top to bottem. I think alot of so called experts have said the ACC was a weak football confernce traditionally though I think if you were to look at conference bowl records they would show otherwise. Thats why I said that VT should be a dominate team in a “supposively” weak football conference.

Second: The only reason to bring VT into the ACC is if they are a football power and will elevate ACC football to a level above where it already was. Does 6th in the league do that?? Not in my book. The have been a fine program over the last decade a top 25 program if you will, all I’m saying is they aren’t an elite team like a Miami the will elevate the ACC much like FSU did. I just see VT a bunch of coat tailers who got forced on the ACC by the Virginia Legislature. What if the North Carolina Legislature had demanded ECU be included in expansion??? If you really study their histories are they really that different of programs?? Granted recently VT has certainly been better, but not that much better and they are probably about equal basketball programs. I think in long run they both get you about the same and that in the long run will be very average to below average.

Thirdly look at Syracuse’s football history I think it rates with VT in fact they have beated VT 2 out of the last three. And if you a ACC school do you really get that much more excited to have VT come play football at you school than you would if Syracuse was coming?? Now it’s basketball season and because of expansion UNC and Duke don’t play at your home arena this year, but guess what?? VT will be rolling in in Feb for a big game. Wouldn’t that blow be soften if it was Syracuse coming in??

I just don’t see that VT really brings anything to the table that the ACC didn’t already have.

This thread is a good example of why we need a football team BAD.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jul 28 2004, 10:20 AM [b] Plus, it gives me a chance to go get some wings at Ronnie's in Clemmons as well. :) [/b]
This is the only good thing in this thread. Ronnies is $$$$$$$$$$. Nothing beats their pizza+wings. If you go away hungry, you're not American.
[b]And if you a ACC school do you really get that much more excited to have VT come play football at you school than you would if Syracuse was coming?? [/b]

To be blunt, yes. I, and most ACC fans could care less about Syracuse, especially their football program. Until defeated by Virginia during the last regular season game last year, Tech had been ranked consecutively each week in the AP Top 25 since 1998. Two of those seasons they had Vick, but someone other than the ACC must think they are good if they keep showing up in the NATIONAL football opinion poll.

[b]What if the North Carolina Legislature had demanded ECU be included in expansion??? [/b]

I wish that they would have. The Big 4 would never allow that. Why? Because they’re scared ECU will steal their pie and limelight. Ask any Big 4 fan why ECU should not be in the ACC, and the standard answer is “they suck”. Over the last 10 years, here are the records of all five and their bowl records as well:

ECU 63-54 2-3
State 68-52 4-2
UNC 65-54 5-1
Wake 42-72 2-0
Duke 26-87 0-1

ECU fared much better than Wake and Duke, and they weren’t much worse than State and Carolina. Yet the Big 4 still deems them inferior. :rolleyes: The ACC treats their football program much like they do our basketball program. If it were not for basketball, the ACC would kick Duke out. They really do suck in every other sport, and Wake isn’t much better. Last year was the worst record ECU has had since 1993, and the Big 4 will quickly point to that to. ECU has a 16-30 record against the Big 4, so they will also say that ECU can’t compete with them. Keep in mind that State quit playing ECU until they got their program regrouped where they didn’t feel threatened, and most of the time the Big 4 schools won’t play them except when they feel they can easily beat them. At any of the Big 4 stadiums, the ECU game is always a sellout. At Wake and Duke, it’s another ECU home game. Whatever the reasons are for leaving ECU out of the ACC picture, they weren’t good ones. You can argue money and TV market, but Blacksburg and Clemson aren’t exactly buzzing metropolis’. I would much rather have seen ECU in the ACC than a team from Massachusetts or New York.

[b]I just don't see that VT really brings anything to the table that the ACC didn't already have.[/b]

It’s another LOCAL rival. The fun of football games are rivalries, well heck, any sport, but moreso football because you get to hit somebody. Playing Syracuse would not excite many folks around here, unless they’ve moved here from New Yuck. With their record the last two years, they really would bring a yawn. -_-
The basketball argument is the only real one Syracuse has for getting in, and the only one Duke has for remaining.

Wings there are LUSH, however the pizza hasn’t been too good my past visits. Still, definitely worth it for the wings!! :drool:

If you want great pizza go across the street to Mario’s. They have the best pizza you’ve ever had in your life(if you a fan of NY style).

[i]Originally posted by Anborn+Jul 29 2004, 03:48 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Anborn @ Jul 29 2004, 03:48 AM)

Chars is great for footlongs :smiley: