I proposed to my girfriend

What a deal! check out rustysheridan.com to hear our song and see the webpage she was looking at when I asked her.

Congrats Rusty!!

You guys set a date yet?

No, no details set yet. Hopefully this coming summer.

Just saw this… congrats man!

Congratulations, man.

Runaway and get married - MUCH easier and cheaper!!

[i]Originally posted by CharlotteAlum[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 01:59 PM [b] Runaway and get married - MUCH easier and cheaper!! [/b]
Good advice. In hindsight, I wish we had done that but it was [i]her[/i] day so I was just along for the ride. I'm sure she would love to know that's I how I feel about it but it would have made SO much more since to take all the money we blew on the wedding and apply that to a very nice trip and use the rest towards our home. All worked out for the best so I can't complain.

But I’ll NEVER understand the mentality behind blowing thousands of dollars on a wedding. Such a waste of money in my opinion.

Hey, it was still my day… I enjoyed it! In fact, Exactly 1 year ago to the very minute we were saying ‘I Do’ in the Mayan Riviera. What a trip!!

[b]But I'll NEVER understand the mentality behind blowing thousands of dollars on a wedding. Such a waste of money in my opinion. [/b]

I absolutely agree. I bet if you asked 5 years after their wedding day all of the wives that believe(d) it was worth it then, that 3/4 of them would agree with you JCL. That money can be used for much more practical things, but then I’m a practical kind of guy. Not only is “the day” for her, it’s for all of her friends and both your families. Short, simple, and modest is the way to go if you don’t elope.

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 03:05 PM [b] I absolutely agree. I bet if you asked 5 years after their wedding day all of the wives that believe(d) it was worth it then, that 3/4 of them would agree with you JCL. That money can be used for much more practical things, but then I'm a practical kind of guy. Not only is "the day" for her, it's for all of her friends and both your families. Short, simple, and modest is the way to go if you don't elope.

Yep. One of the reasons so many couples get in debt so quick is because they blow so much money on their wedding. And then they spend the next 3-5 years strugglin’ with stuff like a home down payment, expenses of having a child, etc. I really wish we had kept it simple and just took a nice, but somewhat modest, trip for a couple weeks and put the rest towards our home.

Rusty, don’t let any of this deter you from walking the aisle. [/b]

Yep. One of the reasons so many couples get in debt so quick is because they blow so much money on their wedding. And then they spend the next 3-5 years strugglin’ with stuff like a home down payment, expenses of having a child, etc. I really wish we had kept it simple and just took a nice, but somewhat modest, trip for a couple weeks and put the rest towards our home. Fortunately, we didn’t really run into any financial problems but when I look back on how much money was spent on flowers, accomodations, booze, food, cake, etc. I can’t help but cringe.

Rusty, don’t let any of this deter you from walking the aisle. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh I’ve thought about eloping. But her family lives in Cleveland and we’re getting married there, so a wedding/reception will be the only opportunity for our families to meet. But it’ll be as cheap and simple as I can muster, you can count on that.