I still Don't Get it

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;384092]my god, GW is absolutely horrid.

They may be worse than NC A&T from a few years ago (Martin Itiā€™s highlight video). Of course, Iā€™m probably exaggerating a bit because I never expected A&T to be good, but I expected SOMETHING from GW.

I would not wish GW season tickets on Joaquin Phoenix.
If you donā€™t understand that reference check this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXpYk7WGN5Y[/QUOTE]

gw is bad but that nc a&t team was the worst college team i have ever seen. it was so bad that you actually felt bad for them.

Wow Missouri beat Nebraska by 23 today and they took 25 3 point shots and only made 9 (36%) WTF??? And yet they were shooting so well from 2 (16-24ā€¦66%). What the heck is wrong with these coaches??? Fire them allā€¦this is just terrible!! Take a wide open 3 with a big leadā€¦thatā€™s just plain stupid I tell you.

Wow look Xavier beat Fordham by 35 today and look at that....they shot 27 3 pointers.....how dare they shoot so many 3's when they are dominating from 2 (17-31)....shame on them....just poorly coached!! 27 3's and 31 2's against an inferior team....sounds familiar.

3-POINT FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGES

Team G FG FGA Pct

1.Rhode Islandā€¦ 25 159 402 .396
2.Xavierā€¦ 24 157 398 .394
3.Templeā€¦ 23 179 467 .383
4.Massachusettsā€¦ 22 188 508 .370
5.George Washingtonā€¦ 21 122 340 .359
6.Duquesneā€¦ 23 196 554 .354
7.Saint Louisā€¦ 24 129 374 .345
8.Richmondā€¦ 24 168 488 .344
9.La Salleā€¦ 23 120 354 .339
10.Saint Josephā€™sā€¦ 23 120 358 .335
11.Daytonā€¦ 25 140 429 .326
12.St. Bonaventureā€¦ 23 103 323 .319
13.Charlotteā€¦ 23 155 517 .300
14.Fordhamā€¦ 21 131 450 .291

The difference is they CAN shoot the 3ā€¦we canā€™t. If we shot nearly 40% (like Xavier) from 3 pt range I wouldnā€™t care about revolving our offense around it.

But when we shoot barely 30% from 3ā€¦and we prove to be MUCH more efficient inside the arcā€¦why is it so wrong to question why we shoot so many QUICK 3ā€™s early in the possession??

....Take a wide open 3 with a big lead....that's just plain stupid I tell you.

OKā€¦youā€™re either a dumb@ss or just ignorant.

My point has nothing to do with a big lead. NOTHING. I mean really, we have rarely led at all this yearā€¦much less have a big lead.

My point is (big lead, small lead, tied, losing, or losing big)ā€¦why run an offense around the 3pt shot when we canā€™t shoot it?

Especially when weā€™re pretty efficient in getting good looks inside the arc??

We average 22.5 shots from 3 pt range per game (38% of all of our shots)ā€¦and we shoot 29.9%. Just doesnā€™t make sense for me.

Sorry.

[QUOTE=TRLeader;384098]OKā€¦youā€™re either a dumb@ss or just ignorant.

My point has nothing to do with a big lead. NOTHING. I mean really, we have rarely led at all this yearā€¦much less have a big lead.

My point is (big lead, small lead, tied, losing, or losing big)ā€¦why run an offense around the 3pt shot when we canā€™t shoot it?

Especially when weā€™re pretty efficient in getting good looks inside the arc??

We average 22.5 shots from 3 pt range per game (38% of all of our shots)ā€¦and we shoot 29.9%. Just doesnā€™t make sense for me.

Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Sorry TRā€¦bit of frustration with the whole argument I guess. Knew we lacked an outside shooter when Bowden went down on day one. The kid can flat out shoot and would probably lift our % to over 35%. Our problem is we gave his looks to other folks (Ian and Lamont) primarily who just arenā€™t as efficient. Tough to pass up a look when there isnā€™t a defender within 10 feet of the shooter. We have seen nights where Mack and Anderson are hot. The question is when do you sayā€¦or for that matter, do you say stop shooting that wide open shot. Tough predicament I think. IMO weā€™ve done a much better job this year (particularly the past 5 games) than the previous 2-3 at working the ball around for a good shot. Our primary problem most of the season has been rebounding. 30% from 3 is like shooting 45% from 2.

Sorry TR....bit of frustration with the whole argument I guess. Knew we lacked an outside shooter when Bowden went down on day one. The kid can flat out shoot and would probably lift our % to over 35%. Our problem is we gave his looks to other folks (Ian and Lamont) primarily who just aren't as efficient. Tough to pass up a look when there isn't a defender within 10 feet of the shooter. We have seen nights where Mack and Anderson are hot. The question is when do you say....or for that matter, do you say stop shooting that wide open shot. Tough predicament I think. IMO we've done a much better job this year (particularly the past 5 games) than the previous 2-3 at working the ball around for a good shot. Our primary problem most of the season has been rebounding. 30% from 3 is like shooting 45% from 2.

Problem is AndersEn does not shoot a wide open shot most of the time. He is not a good percentage shooter off screens. If he is set and ready, then by all means fire away.

This is what TR drives at. We donā€™t have good 3 pt shooters coming off screens, so why do we keep running so many quick hitters to Andersen off screens or let Mack hoist without running down more clock. These plays are the highlight of offenses past (see Leemire last year), but they are bad plays this yr.

EDIT: X shoots well b/c of penetration. We donā€™t have the same luxury.

[QUOTE=EJNiner;384100] 30% from 3 is like shooting 45% from 2.[/QUOTE]

Except for it isnā€™t. That is a statistic I hate seen thrown around.

If I shoot 30-100 threes, that gives the opponent a chance at 70 rebounds.
If I shoot 45-100 2 pts, the opponent is only getting 55 shots at the rebound.

If I shoot a three early in the shot clock, or on the fast break (which we do regularly), I donā€™t have my teammates in position and the rebound will typically be a long one. That opens up the fast break for the other team.

The closer you can shoot to the basket, the easier it is to follow your shot. The ball is also less likely to richocet into spaces where your offensive players canā€™t get it unless you are linedriving the ball from close range (at which point you shouldnā€™t be shooting anyway).

I hate, hate, hate those 5 second into the shot clock threes. Some of our players arenā€™t even down the court yet and the other team goes on the break with our team still running to get into position.

So, while shooting 30% from three will net you the same amount of points, it is not the same thing as shooting 45% for 2.

If I shoot a three early in the shot clock, or on the fast break (which we do regularly), I don't have my teammates in position and the rebound will typically be a long one. That opens up the fast break for the other team.

And who that kills is DiJuan. Another reason why the three is such a bad play this yr. On Ian bad misses, other teams break, which means DiJuan has to sprint back and waste energy.

Even if your shot is blocked on a two, less fast breaks can occur since most players are packed inside the horn.

Sometimes a shotclock violation would serve us better than a missed three.

Before today, year to date our 3 point % was one of the worst in the nation. We ranked 315 out of 344. Our 3 point Defense is even worse believe it or not.

Stats donā€™t lie. We are a terrible team that continues to emphasize terrible habits.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?y=2009&team=Charlotte

Before today, year to date our 3 point % was one of the worst in the nation. We ranked 315 out of 344....Stats don't lie. We are a terrible team that continues to emphasize terrible habits.

D.O.B.A.

Bad shooters should only shoot 3 pointers as a last resortā€¦for us, it continues to be the primary option.

Iā€™ll say it againā€¦I just donā€™t get it.

[QUOTE=TRLeader;384075]I love the fact that we have proven that we CAN work the ball around for a good shot. So why would we ever jack up a three or run a play for a three early in the possession?

Let them work it for 25-30secs firstā€¦if nothing pans out we can always find a bad shooter for a three pointer as the clock runs down if thatā€™s what we want to do. My issue is the 10-15 possessions during the game where one of our awful jump shooters takes a three pointer 5 seconds into the possession without even TRYING to work it around for a good shot.

IMOā€¦When you have bad shootersā€¦you need to value each possession and at least TRY for a good shot first.

We donā€™t seem to do that on at least 10-15 possessions per game. Thatā€™s whatā€™s frustrating.[/QUOTE]

We are not a good shooting team. Everyone on here knows this. Youā€™re not breaking a headline news story posting this after [B]every[/B] game. Shooting 3ā€™s is the main part of Lutzā€™s offense. If you donā€™t like it, fine. Itā€™s not exactly new, though. We still have to take outside shots to try to get the defense to spread out so we can get the layups and dunks, whether we make all of them or not. Otherwise, they will pack it in, which will mean we then have to shoot them because Harris does not penetrate against a zone. Itā€™s kind of like trying to run the ball against the Ravens or Steelers. Most of the time itā€™s going to be fruitless, but you still need to do it to set up the pass. Otherwise, theyā€™ll drop back in coverage and your day will really turn out rotten.

Hereā€™s another tidbit of information. GW is 7-15. Thereā€™s a reason we got so many easy shots today, though our passing was better overall. They were 4-19 from 3-land. What is wrong with that defense? Iā€™ll take Xavier shooting 21.1% from behind the arc this Thursday and run with it. Even when we defend the 3 well, youā€™re still bitching about our perimeter defense. At least have a reason to. :huh:

[B]3-POINT FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGES[/B] ## Team G FG FGA Pct --------------------------------------------- 1.Rhode Island........ 25 159 402 .396 2.Xavier.............. 24 157 398 .394 3.Temple.............. 23 179 467 .383 4.Massachusetts....... 22 188 508 .370 5.George Washington... 21 122 340 .359 6.Duquesne............ 23 196 554 .354 7.Saint Louis......... 24 129 374 .345 8.Richmond............ 24 168 488 .344 9.La Salle............ 23 120 354 .339 10.Saint Joseph's...... 23 120 358 .335 11.Dayton.............. 25 140 429 .326 12.St. Bonaventure..... 23 103 323 .319 13.Charlotte........... 23 155 517 .300 14.Fordham............. 21 131 450 .291

The difference is they CAN shoot the 3ā€¦we canā€™t. If we shot nearly 40% (like Xavier) from 3 pt range I wouldnā€™t care about revolving our offense around it.

But when we shoot barely 30% from 3ā€¦and we prove to be MUCH more efficient inside the arcā€¦

My guess is Xavier and the other teams mentioned also shoot a higher percentage than we do from 2. So the logic still applies. They are taking a lower percentage shot.

The other thing to consider is that in an offensive scheme that shoots a lot 3s, the percentage is going to be lower. In general, the more 3s you shoot the lower the percentage is going to be.

why is it so wrong to question why we shoot so many QUICK 3's early in the possession??

I see what youā€™re saying. But Iā€™ve mentioned this a number of times, watch Duke, Florida and Louisville play. They do the same thing. They took numerous 3s on fast breaks. Iā€™m not saying you should I agree with that. Just saying itā€™s a system that is used by other schools too.

Yeah, they do it. They have better shooters too. But those teams donā€™t win championships like that.

...Even when we defend the 3 well, you're still bitching about our perimeter defense. At least have a reason to. :huh:

I have never mentioned anything about our perimeter defense.

We still have to take outside shots to try to get the defense to spread out so we can get the layups and dunks, whether we make all of them or not. Otherwise, they will pack it in...

Newsflashā€¦teams already pack it in against usā€¦I would tooā€¦we shoot 29.9%.

...I've mentioned this a number of times, watch Duke, Florida and Louisville play. They do the same thing. They took numerous 3s on fast breaks. I'm not saying you should I agree with that. Just saying it's a system that is used by other schools too.

Againā€¦THEY have players that can make those shots. WE donā€™t. BIG difference. If we had players that could make themā€¦I wouldnā€™t care that we shot them. We donā€™tā€¦and we shoot them like we do.

Yeah, they do it. They have better shooters too. But those teams don't win championships like that.

There it is.

shooting threes causes opposing defenses to spread out on defense and look to deny the 3 ball. every coach iā€™ve seen yells when ian runs the baseline: SHOOTER SHOOTER!!! yeah, we take a lot of 3ā€™s, but thatā€™s how we spread the d so harris/wilderness/mack can drive and do their thing, and/or let phil post up with space, and/or charlie coley goes back-door to get an alleyā€¦ welcome to the condensed version of the charlotte offense

a couple of points, we donā€™t shoot well, so if it is a 3 or a 2 it really does not matter, we just donā€™t have good jump shooters on the team. We value the ball, turnovers and try to out rebound the other team, I get it, but I would much rather us play more offense where dijuan runs the break, even if the break ratio is not in our favor we could probably have a better scoring percentage.

In terms of zone defense, think about it we donā€™t have a true PF, 2G or center on the court most of the time. So if three of your five are not playing their primary position, then your better off at zone than man to man. If not, the other team will totally exploit your positions where you donā€™t have the right player at the right position.

Best examples of this are Arizona St. game (watch what that 2G and PF does to us), Nebraska NIT last year, go back and watch those games and see what happens.

Could you run to your computer and post this any faster than you did? Anytime ANY team is up 20 points at half there will be a tendancy to relax. Even when your up 30 like we were today. We should shoot about 18 3's every game. and we should make 6-8 of them. [B]You make 6 of 18 3's it's like shooting 50% from 2.[/B] 18 is not a lot in today's college game by any means.

Math is correct but the logic is bad. Hereā€™s why[list type=decimal]
[]You are extremely less likely to get fouled shooting a three versus a two.
[
]Going 6 of 18 from three vs 9 of 18 from two means you had three more fruitless possesions.
[*]Going 6 of 18 versus from three versus 9 of 18 from two means you just created three more possesions for the opposing team
[/LIST]X is correct, teams will try to run the ball against the Steelers and the Ravens even thoug they know they canā€™t. The difference is, most of those teams can run the ball against other teams outside of the Steelers and the Ravens. We canā€™t shoot the three versus anybody.

I think we played like champions. :wink:

Plus, Coleyā€™s dunk at the end of the first half was D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G, disgusting.

[QUOTE=J Felt;384140]I think we played like champions. :wink:

Plus, Coleyā€™s dunk at the end of the first half was D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G, disgusting.[/QUOTE]

Im with J Felt on this one! I dont care who we were playing today we got the W and thats all that matters!! Im not bitching about a W!!

Bobby needs to keep the Green Jacket on!!!

:49ers::49ers::49ers::49ers:

Coleman ever shooting a ball from beyond 15 feet is a head scratcher imo. I enjoyed the game... but we should've won by 30.

If not for all the injuries and if we had Dew, we would have won by 30. :wink: