I think Dubois and the BOT owes us some answers on the Richardson decision

I agree with transparency about why they made the decision. If the answer is because we are screwed & there is no way out of the contract will that satisfy everyone? Probably not. But yes an explanation would be nice. I was very surprised with the decision not to remove his name. To me the only explanation is because they canā€™t.

But the problem with this generation of people is that they donā€™t want to just talk about it. They will want to protest or defame the facility. How does it help us as fans if they boycott the stadium? Do we lose the football program because we know that the University wonā€™t blow up the stadium and start over? Where does it end?

CHP should come out and say that they are legally contracted to keep the name and the issue will be over. The new issue is who takes the blame and loses their job. No one will destroy the stadium over a bad contract, but they will over social injustice.

We just have to pay the money he has given us back. I canā€™t imagine he wants a legal battle since he hasnā€™t said jack shit about the situation.

Thatā€™s where Iā€™m at too. I donā€™t know that heā€™ll put up a big fight. Heā€™s a recluse at this point, and has been for a long time. Now we try and back out once heā€™s dead, his heirs will probably fight in his honor.

What doesnā€™t get funded over $6million weā€™d have to get back? Not sure, but with the capital campaign and an (assumed) more effective 49er Club, I donā€™t think that is insurmountable. Could be covered potentially by University $$$ as well.

Richardson is a recluse, is he really going to fight this in the public eye? I doubt that at this point.

Regarding transparency, itā€™d be nice to know if weā€™ve even talked to Richardson about the situation to discuss ending this amicably, renegotiating terms, etc.

I agree. Canā€™t imagine why he would fight this if we pay him back. If I donated $10 million to someone & they decided to give it back I would be totally OK with that. I still wonder if anyone from the University has talked to him. If not why havenā€™t they.

He has only given like 5 or 6 million so far. The ten million was a combined for field and stadium and was 1M a year. We pay that crap back and go sell the name for more money.

$6 million to date.

Seriouslyā€¦thatā€™s the answer.

Weā€™re not giving back $10milā€¦weā€™re giving back just what heā€™s paid.

Give it back and let Mike Hill go find a real stadium naming rights deal.

The only issue is that with the season starting itā€™s probably to late to change/remove the name on the field/buildings until the season is over but that shouldnā€™t prevent us from doing that if that were to be the decision.

Not trying to be too negative here, but Jerry knew when he signed on the dotted line he had NDAā€™s. He very well may have made that part of the donation. He very well may have made that clear with Dubois and the crew. This may be why Phil is trying to keep the name, and keep this on the hush.

There is no way we knew. Mark it down.

1 Like

clt is more familiar with bird law, but cannot we just hang a banner over his name?

Yeah, the whole idea behind the NDA is so no one finds out. Only Jerry, the other parties, and the lawyers were privy.

The author states ā€œsupporters often note no morals clause preventing thisā€ referring to canceling the Richardson contract. I donā€™t know that you are a supporter if you state a fact that there is no moral clause. I believe that almost all of us would like to see something other that the status quo, but most believe that nothing can be done due to contract language.

As a counter the author brings up the following:

ā€œUNC Charlotte legal policy states that if an individual whose name is honored by UNC Charlotte is convicted of criminal behavior or ā€œengages in conduct that, in the sole discretion of the University, is injurious to the reputation of the University,ā€ the naming contract can be rescinded.ā€

I believe someone stated that the current legal policy does not predate the Richardson contract. In typical contracts any legal policies would have been an addendum to the Richardson contract. I didnā€™t see it there even if it did exist prior. You can have any policy in place, but if that policy is not known to the contractā€™s other party, it isnā€™t worth the paper it is written on.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner. THAT is why JRā€™s name will remain on the stadium for the foreseeable future.