I’ve got a question/Charlotte Observer

Thank you very much. Am I correct that there is zero mention of Julius peppers making the hall of fame? That is outlandish.

On website. Was too late for deadline and was held for Sunday print edition. Saturday we don’t have one.

Best place to check is website or app

https://x.com/langstonwertzjr/status/1756487476158284023?s=46&t=yF1MzQy261v7PM6rODiyVA

4 Likes

Xtra is a national section(s).

We have been co-opted into anything. As I explained before. About 18 years ago our chain was bought by the one that owns Raleigh and Rock Hill. We stopped
covering ACC with our people. Ditto them for Panthers/Hornets/NASCAR. We now get all
of their coverage of Triangle teams.

Call it what you wish, but ever since McClatchy started calling the shots, reading the Observer’s sports page has felt like reading the Raleigh News and Observer when it comes to college sports. You just explained why that’s the case.

No writer sitting in Raleigh can be expected to have a sense of what’s going on in Charlotte athletics or, equally important, how the university has grown and changed in its complexion over the past 20 years; expanding and fundamentally changing the nature of interest in Charlotte athletics.

You came on here asking what you’d have to do to draw consistent readership from coverage of athletics. Well, first of all, provide some; not just football or basketball, but the non-revenue sports as well.

In addition to reporting results, begin to give readers insight into the human side of Charlotte athletics. In other words, personalize it. There are a myriad interesting and potentially captivating stories behind the athletes and coaches. Use those to put a face on Charlotte athletics.

This is the sort of coverage that can only be expected to come from someone who works in Charlotte, rather than 3 hours away. I don’t care how “connected” our internet existence might seem to have made us to some who sit in glass towers, but there is still great value in having someone work a beat who is actually present where the people making the news work and reside.

Langston, I recall a time back in the 90’s when the Observer was receiving criticism for the lack of local high school sports coverage it was providing. You took on the beat, upped the amount of high school content, and also did a great job of capturing the human story behind the results. The same sort of thing needs to be done for Charlotte athletics.

The old stereotypes die hard, but they need to die. The university has grown to become the second largest in the state’s university system, and many have chosen to stick around and work here. Meanwhile, Charlotte athletics has become much more than it was 15-20 years ago. The substance for great content and the audience are present. All we need now is someone here to consistently devote some insightful coverage to it.

2 Likes

Would someone be able to do me a big favor. I would be happy to pay $25-$30 if someone was willing to send me a physical copy of todays Charlotte observer in good condition.

I would be happy to Venmo or PayPal or whatever works for you. I frame newspaper front pages and hang them in my basement. Julius peppers has always been my favorite athlete and really want to get him going into the HOF framed.

Hoping a fellow niner alumni could come through. I reached out to the observer already and was told no which is wild to me. For example I know the New York post is willing to do it. Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help.

Go niners let’s beat temple.

Also willing to go higher in price for the inconvenience

You may be able to go by a Walmart and see if they have the paper there. Or find out the where the Observers are sold. Just a suggestion.

I live in NJ so nowhere around here would have it unfortunately.

Sorry about that, I am in Georgia else I would be glad to look up one for you without charging you for it.

No worries at all. Very much appreciated.

I can try to do that for you. I’ll be going to a super bowl party so on the way there I can try to snag a paper. I’m pretty busy, so shipping it out to you may take a little while, but I’d like for you to have it.

If you could do that I would greatly appreciate you.

I called the observer on Friday and they told me flat out no. They said I could print out the e edition. I then reached out to Langston on Twitter and he pretty much said the same thing. That it was not an option and that I could print out the e e edition. I would think people in the newspaper industry would know the e edition is just not the same as a newspaper. I have been able to call the New York post and Baton Rouge advocate, both who i don’t have a subscription with and they were able to accommodate me easily.

But if you were able to do that, like I said I would be very grateful. And no worries at all on the timing of the shipping. You are doing me a favor, I just want to make sure I can secure one. Whenever it comes would be fine.

clt would try to help, but not for a UNC CHeat player

He’s going into the pro HOF, which is perfectly appropriate since he was a pro straight out of high school.

*1.824 GPA *

Nine of the 10 classes in which Peppers earned a B-plus, B or B-minus that could’ve helped ensure his eligibility came in the AFAM department in which he was majoring, according to the transcript. Three were listed as independent study classes, another problem area cited in the school’s probe for a lack of supervision of work – often a research paper – performed by students.

lol not the path I was hoping this conversation to go down.

Yeah man I bought the paper for you just a couple hours ago. I can send it. I’m new to this forum page so I don’t know how DMs work but I’ll figure it out. Just send me your address and I’ll ship it over when I can

4 Likes

Good for you Harry. I’ll buy u beer sometime if I can figure out who u are. I like it when people are good to each other. Especially Niner Nation

4 Likes