Ideas for Improving School Spirit/Atmosphere

There is an obvious lack of school spirit and school atmosphere here at Charlotte. Maybe there is something that can be done to help it. Obviously football would help a ton but none of us have the money and we are already doing all we can with CFI. But there are other areas that could be helped and would not be as huge a problem to work with as football is. I mean if we get some seriously good ideas, perhaps we can move forward with them and suggest them to Dubois, other administration, and/or school organizations that deal with this stuff. If you read my last post you know how much the level of school spirit and school atmosphere bugs me and I would certainly like to fix that problem.

The one idea I had and the reason I created this topic actually has to do with something that the school doesn’t even own: Gray’s Bookstore. I said earlier that you wouldn’t know you were near UNCC if you couldn’t see the campus from 29 and 49 due to a lack of school related stuff anywhere around campus. I think Gray’s could do something to help this problem. The outside of Gray’s should be painted green, gold, and white and have various Niner stuff on it. I guess I got this idea from being down at USC. They have a bookstore there, and possibly more than one like this, that is painted with Gameco(k colors. It doesn’t look bad at all and I think it helps with the atmosphere of being in Gameco(k country. I think Gray’s should do the same thing. Thoughts?

In no paticular order, ninerID’s steps for better school spirit without the preschool education needed to know that football would help this school:

• a solid name would be a good step are we UNCC? UNC-Charlotte? UNC Charlotte? NC-Charlotte? Charlotte? set it as one thing and don’t sell a single item that says otherwise.

• Have you been to bojangles? that place looks awesome. we need more people to create atmospheres like that.

• more nike/adidas shirts. those look really nice. I am a huge niiner fan and up until a year ago i had one shirt. mainly b/c i didnt want to pay money for the crap that the school was putting out.

• make midnight madness more fun. we dont have football so most of us wait til mid october to care. then we wait 2 hours through a ton of crap finally to see the mens team play for 8 mins, continous clock. nobody cares about the womens team, or tantrum. give us more basketball. get a better soudsystem and use 20 min to do some cheer practice, teach new students about raising their hands at free throws

find ways to communicate to fans who aren’t there every game. always bring someone new to the games. like invite a buddy kind of thing.

I think this was talked about extensively last bball season remember?

I think this was talked about extensively last bball season remember?

What was?

[QUOTE=Gill2003;185380]I think this is talked about extensively every bball season remember?[/QUOTE]

fixed.

[I][B]I put this in another thread but it looked more appropriate here so…here you go:[/B][/I]

I think one way to help resolve this would be to have a MANDATORY Niner Pride class that ALL students must pass before graduating. There are ALOT of ACC fans that come here…some get converted and some don’t. The ones that get converted do so because they immerse themselves into the Charlotte college life. If we had a class that would teach UNC Charlotte school history & Charlotte 49er sports history…discuss how to get the most out of current campus life…and require that they get involved in certain Niner activities for class credit…that would help convert even more.

Just think…this class could have a section on sports with hi-lite reels, player history, team history of all sports. The class could require “book reports” on current Niner games/other on campus student activities to ensure these kids are getting out and experiencing Niner Nation and Niner Pride at different student events. You know if the kids go…they would have fun…enjoy the Niner experience…and convert/evolve into Niner Nation Maniacs quicker…or convert at all when maybe they never would any other way.

Just a thought.

Niner Pride 101…whatdayathink?

That would be retarted. This is an university, not a fun house.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;185401][I][B]I put this in another thread but it looked more appropriate here so…here you go:[/B][/I]

I think one way to help resolve this would be to have a MANDATORY Niner Pride class that ALL students must pass before graduating. There are ALOT of ACC fans that come here…some get converted and some don’t. The ones that get converted do so because they immerse themselves into the Charlotte college life. If we had a class that would teach UNC Charlotte school history & Charlotte 49er sports history…discuss how to get the most out of current campus life…and require that they get involved in certain Niner activities for class credit…that would help convert even more.

Just think…this class could have a section on sports with hi-lite reels, player history, team history of all sports. The class could require “book reports” on current Niner games/other on campus student activities to ensure these kids are getting out and experiencing Niner Nation and Niner Pride at different student events. You know if the kids go…they would have fun…enjoy the Niner experience…and convert/evolve into Niner Nation Maniacs quicker…or convert at all when maybe they never would any other way.

Just a thought.

Niner Pride 101…whatdayathink?[/QUOTE]

That’s what freshman seminar is supposed to be.

A lot of schools have a class like that.

That would be retarted. This is an university, not a fun house.

:hammer:

I think that class is a great idea. I would definitely take that and I am already in my 4th year here.

Best way to improve school spirit:

An incredible basketball record this year with a sweet sixteen appearance.

And, we can all help attain that goal by making a strong showing at home & away games and getting LOUD.

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;185443]Best way to improve school spirit:

An incredible basketball record this year with a sweet sixteen appearance.

And, we can all help attain that goal by making a strong showing at home & away games and getting LOUD.[/QUOTE]

That’s correct. Everyone loves a winner.