Ideas: Remembering 4.30.19 at the Gardner Webb game this Fall

I had two ideas, would love to see what you guys might be able to come up with as well:

1. Have the families of Riley and Reed, classroom survivors and the first responders at midfield for 49 seconds of silence prior to kickoff.

2. Instead of players having their usual last name on their jerseys, I’d love to see all the players have either HOWELL or PARLIER on the back.

I get this on one level, but would this have a positive or negative effect on the team and fans gearing up for a season opening football game of a new coach ? Just asking.

It will be incorporated somehow, just not sure how. Not sure the families of the dead or the victims will be ready for that on August 29 either.

1 Like

Great ideas 2k. I’m sure our leaders are working on something and I fully trust what they will come up with.

I think the Good ole NCAA cracked down on names on the back of jerseys a few years ago. You are only allowed to put the players last name and nothing else.

Remember when we started football we had the G.O.L.D. Standard and guys who were chosen to wear #49 would have things like GRIT, OPPORTUNITY, LEADERSHIP & DETERMINATION on the name plate? The NCAA said we couldn’t do that anymore after season 1. There was another team, I think it was in the SEC that did something similar and it got the NCAA’s attention.

ODU women’s basketball all wore the name of a former player, who I think had just recently died, when they played against us this season. Don’t know if they obtained a waiver or just did it. If they NCAA did allow that, then surely they would allow us to do something like that next fall.

We can certainly put a patch with their names on our jerseys, or a sticker on our helmets.

We need a moment of silence at the next game by all of our teams, but I don’t think that needs to be done at all subsequent games.

1 Like

Baseball had this sticker on their helmets this weekend. Also had the initials of the fallen 49ers written on the fronts of their hats.

3 Likes