If you want Football at Charlotte READ THIS!!!

[QUOTE=forDniner;168153]The chancellor did. There was a write-up in the Observer several months back (sorry, don’t have the link).
[/QUOTE]

[B][U]from the Observer, December 22, 2005[/U][/B]

[QUOTE][B]Dubois isn’t interested in I-AA football, at which Charlotte might fit in the A-10 or the Southern or Big South conferences.

“I frankly don’t think I-AA is worth doing,” he said. “You can’t play on the soccer field, so you still have to build a smaller stadium. But it gets no attention. In a city like Charlotte, would that be attractive to anyone?”[/B][/QUOTE]

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/university_of_north_carolina_charlotte/13462338.htm?source=rss&channel=charlotte_university_of_north_carolina_charlotte][B][U][COLOR=DarkGreen]Observer: 49ers still punting on football[/COLOR][/U][/B]
[/URL]

The Chancellor seems to want to move up as soon as the NCAA will allow, which could be an economic problem for us. Also, it inhibits our chances of starting a program if that’s the only way we will get his support (i.e. we definitely don’t have the funding to play DI right now). The dollars aren’t there now to make the quick jump to DI in the minimum time, either. I think we could make something work if we stay I-AA for 10 years (+/- 3) or so until we establish the program, create an I-AA winner, and gain support from fellow alums and community members.

How about chill out on this until we get a website up. I have a feeling that until then, people won’t take it as seriously.

[QUOTE=Roasty;168201]How about chill out on this until we get a website up. I have a feeling that until then, people won’t take it as seriously.[/QUOTE]

From the response I’m getting people are taking it seriously and I would rather not wait since I’ve been wait for 20 years now and nothing has happened.

Once we get the site up, we’ll work hand in hand, but I see no reason to wait.

[B][U]from the Observer, December 22, 2005

[/U][/B]Quote:
[B]Dubois isn’t interested in I-AA football, at which Charlotte might fit in the A-10 or the Southern or Big South conferences.

“I frankly don’t think I-AA is worth doing,” he said. “You can’t play on the soccer field, so you still have to build a smaller stadium. But it gets no attention. In a city like Charlotte, would that be attractive to anyone?”[/B]

I have to completely disagree with the Chancellor on this.

When we joined the A-10, I told quite a few people that the move could be a golden opportunity to start a football program. I thought starting at C-USA’s level would prove to be more difficult.

He says the soccer field is impossible but does not say why. There are 3 teams that are in the A-10 for football and basketball: UMass, Rhode Island, and Richmond (Richmond could be a nice rivalry). Look at their home attendance from the 2005 season:

UMass
vs. Albany 10177
vs Rhode Island 15314
vs Northeastern 4257
vs James Madison 4476
vs New Hampshire 12539

Rhode Island
vs Fordham 1867
vs William & Mary 3303
vs Towson 2508
vs Hofstra 3987
vs Northeastern 2570

Richmond
vs UMass 6040
vs 'Nova 3508
vs Delaware 3115
vs Hofstra 4385
vs VMI 9853
vs William & Mary 8960
vs Furman 6603

Quite a variety - UMass can get 15k fans, Rhode Island never got 4k fans, and Richmond averaged about 4-5k fans.

The soccer/track&field facility can seat about 4000 people. What’s the problem? If less than 4000 fans show up for football, there’s no reason to build a small stadium. If the problem is that the demand for watching a Charlotte football game exceeds 10000 per game, then is that a reason not to start a program? A season with 4 home games on campus and 1 ‘bigger’ home game in another venue sounds perfectly logical to me.

And yet another part of the document:

UNC Charlotte currently sponsors eight women’s sports, including the high participation sports of track and soccer. Additional sports that might be evaluated are lacrosse, field hockey, golf, swimming/diving, crew, and rifle. The potential barriers to adding these sports are varied. Outside of swimming and crew, the squad sizes for the above are rather small (15-20), thus making a small dent
in the 100 target. Swimming requires an Olympic-sized pool that currently doesn’t exist on campus.

We used to have a swim team on campus. The pool was in Belk gym. Have requirements changed?

[QUOTE=survivor45;168210]There are 3 teams that are in the A-10 for football and basketball: UMass, Rhode Island, and Richmond (Richmond could be a nice rivalry).[/QUOTE]
UMass (7-4, 2005) and Richmond (9-4, 2005) have been traditionally pretty good in I-AA football circles. URI never has been good. The Atlantic 10 was rated at the number nine conference overall in the final 2004 Sagarin ratings, ahead of every I-AA league as well as Conference USA and the Sun Belt and Mid-American conferences.

Link: [URL=http://www.atlantic10.org/sports/football/mediaguides/2005/17_confrencehistory.pdf][B]Atlantic 10 football history[/B][/URL]

UMass (7-4, 2005) and Richmond (9-4, 2005) have been traditionally pretty good in I-AA football circles. URI never has been good. The Atlantic 10 was rated at the number nine conference overall in the final 2004 Sagarin ratings, ahead of every I-AA league as well as Conference USA and the Sun Belt and Mid-American conferences.

Link: Atlantic 10 football history

xxx

Reason for edit: I am a dumbass

[QUOTE=survivor45;168220]I noticed Brian Westbrook of the Eagles was one of the players drafted out of the non-scholarship A-10.[/QUOTE]
Nothing was said that the conference was non-scholarship.

Nothing was said that the conference was non-scholarship.

I guess I’m as lost as usual. :unhappy:

I thought IA meant scholarship, IAA meant non-scholarship and IAAA meant no team. It sounds like I’m wrong.

Ok in 4 hours we have the following:

14 people signed up

$7,050 in initial donations

$2450 in yearly donations

45 Season tickets sold

So basically this all starts with us and here is my proposal: I am going to start a list of Football supporters and contributors. I will compile this list until I have 1000 names and then I will submit it to the administration. This is what I need from all of you:

1. PM or email me your Name and contact info, year of graduation, How much money would you contribute to the initial start up, How much would you give yearly and would you buy season tickets.

2. I need each of you to reach beyond this message board and give me a list of at list 5 people you graduated or attend school with the info I asked for in #1.

We have about 200 active posters here who are hard core 49er fans, if all of us reach out and get 5 people to comit to this we have our 1000 people.

Pledge as much as you can realistically expect to contribute. For example I am Pledging $500 for start up and $250 a year and I would buy season tickets.

This will allow us and the administration to see how serious we are about football. If no one signs up then we know this will probably never happen in our lifetime, but if we really want this as much as we say this will go a long way to proving it and actually doing something to make it happen.

Time for all of us to put our money where our mouth is. I think the website is a great idea and this can go hand in hand with it (weekly update of pledges and so forth) but I really think this is the only way to find out how serious we are.

I look forward to you response and I can be emailed at jimmyhat32@yahoo.com

[QUOTE=survivor45;168222]I thought IA meant scholarship, IAA meant non-scholarship and IAAA meant no team.[/QUOTE]
Division III - no scholarships
Division II - 35 scholarships
Division I-AA - 65 scholarships
Division I-A - 85 scholarships

Ok in 4 hours we have the following:

14 people signed up

$7,050 in initial donations

$2450 in yearly donations

45 Season tickets sold

…Pledge as much as you can realistically expect to contribute. For example I am Pledging $500 for start up and $250 a year and I would buy season tickets.

This will allow us and the administration to see how serious we are about football. If no one signs up then we know this will probably never happen in our lifetime, but if we really want this as much as we say this will go a long way to proving it and actually doing something to make it happen.

Time for all of us to put our money where our mouth is. I think the website is a great idea and this can go hand in hand with it (weekly update of pledges and so forth) but I really think this is the only way to find out how serious we are.

I look forward to you response and I can be emailed at jimmyhat32@yahoo.com

Jimmy, this is EXACTLY the type of information that we need to collect and post on the web site. The web site will be easy to publicize to the masses and will be easy for them to find and add their information to it as well.

Coordinate with the guys doing the site and make sure the information you gather gets to them and on the site.

By the way, expect an e-mailed Truth Revolution Press Release that will detail expected contributions from CEO KTown in regards to the Football Initiative.

Also, The Truth Revolution encourages all those passionate Football fans and anyone interested in seeing this thru and all Truth Revolutionites to…PUT UP OR SHUT UP…Right Now!!

Let’s fry this tater to a crisp!!
and…QUE OUR SONG!!!

We could start at non-scholarship 1-aa in the Patriot w/ Davidson. Then work our way up to the Big South, & then scholarship 1-aa SoCon.
Then we could go to 1-a C-Usa or Mac.
I’d donate to start-up. Whether I get season tickets depends on if it’s on TV.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;168239]We could start at non-scholarship 1-aa in the Patriot w/ Davidson. Then work our way up to the Big South, & then scholarship 1-aa SoCon.
Then we could go to 1-a C-Usa or Mac.
I’d donate to start-up. Whether I get season tickets depends on if it’s on TV.[/QUOTE]

1AA is 65 scholarships.
1A is 85 scholarships.

Go ahead and plan on buying season tickets because I doubt we have any games on TV at first.

Also very important… We may not be able to just snap our fingers and jump to whatever conference we think it’s time to be in. CUSA may not let us in unless we also join for basketball, if then. Those trivial details can be worked out though. It will be interesting to see how the administration responds to this.

BUMP, please PM jimmyhat 45 season tickets is a joke we are making our athletic administration actually look smart

I claim rights to the first football based Observer bashing thread.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

BUMP, please PM jimmyhat 45 season tickets is a joke we are making our athletic administration actually look smart

What are you talking about? He has “sold” 45 season tickets to a team that doesnt even exist on a board that has like 200-300 regular posters. This is even the first or second day this has been going on. And you are calling that a joke? First of all, thats damn impressive if you ask me. The team doesnt even exist. You go and try to sell tickets for something that doesnt even exist and may not be around for many years and see how you do. Im not trying to be offensive but this is exactly the kind of attitude that has gotten us what we have now: NO football team. If everyone says it can’t be done or scoffs at people’s efforts then it will never happen. If you’ve got nothing constructive to say then please refrain from making comments. They really are a detriment to the effort. The more positive talk that goes around, the more people will believe that it is possible and the more support the effort will have.

I’m sorry if I’m seeming harsh but this is my main point of anger with the “Niner Nation.” To many of our citizens are pesimistic and nay sayers and all that jazz. Just believe. Will you all please, for once, believe that anything positive for this school is possible and even probable?? As I have said in the past, if no one has any hope, then we have no hope.

Yup I think I’m going to have to break it out. This seems to deserve it. Oh yea, its the really really angry face: :ticked:

Well, there are only 300 people on this board…maybe 150 that post regularly, so don’t expect 1500 Commitments.

That’s why we need the website…to reach the masses.

If that doesn’t work in getting a lot more significant committments, however, we will look as apathetic as we are perceived.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;168277]Well, there are only 300 people on this board…maybe 150 that post regularly, so don’t expect 1500 Commitments.

If that doesn’t work in getting a lot more significant committments, however, we will look as apathetic as we are perceived.[/QUOTE]

I know people that won’t likely buy season tickets, but they would come to some games. I would bring everybody I know.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;168277]Well, there are only 300 people on this board…maybe 150 that post regularly, so don’t expect 1500 Commitments.

If that doesn’t work in getting a lot more significant committments, however, we will look as apathetic as we are perceived.[/QUOTE]

That is why we need those 300 or 150 to each bring 5 or more people aboard, we need to turn this into shampoo commercial. This is not going to happen in a day, this is a one year process at least and it starts with everyone lettting every Niner you know what we are doing and getting them involved. If you or anyone you know wants a football team they need to be on the list. This is the only way to make football happen. If people don’t participate, we will continue in the same cycle of blame we have been in for the last 30 years. It’s time to honor Bonnie Cone and clear her good name. The best way to do that is to finally bring football to Charlotte.