Ilija Ivankovic - Center - JUCO - Signed LOI

Those 5 fouls could’ve been the difference in a lot of games after Phil went out last season.

The difference? Maybe. He might be a workhorse kind of guy. I don’t know.

I really have no idea what type of player we’re getting with Major.

This!!! I’m actually very excited about this signing. Not because I expect big numbers from him but because we so desperately needed more post players off the bench. Now maybe Braz and KJ can get a breather and the team not be super-small. I didnt want to have to count on Thorne for that.[/quote]What makes you think this guy will be any better than Thorne? The quality of player Thorne played against in AAU is probably greater than that at the JUCO level.

I hope the guy does well, but I don’t think just because he is a JUCO player he will have a more immediate impact than Thorne. If we just signed Karron Johnson out of the JUCO ranks, I’d be a lot more excited.

Looks like he spent his freshman year at San Jacinto in Pasadena, TX according to this bio page.

SanJacSports.com: #42 Ilija Ivankovic

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=13px]More about Ilija…
Three words that describe me: young, handsome, pretty
My hidden talent is: playing the piano
The most interesting place I’ve been is: Split, Croatia.
The best advice I’ve ever been given is: Don’t eat yellow snow.[/size][/font]
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/size][/font]
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/size][size=13px] :)) [/size][/font]

Well, now Frank Zappa is “playing” in my head!!!

This!!! I’m actually very excited about this signing. Not because I expect big numbers from him but because we so desperately needed more post players off the bench. Now maybe Braz and KJ can get a breather and the team not be super-small. I didnt want to have to count on Thorne for that.[/quote]What makes you think this guy will be any better than Thorne? The quality of player Thorne played against in AAU is probably greater than that at the JUCO level.

I hope the guy does well, but I don’t think just because he is a JUCO player he will have a more immediate impact than Thorne. If we just signed Karron Johnson out of the JUCO ranks, I’d be a lot more excited.[/quote]

Nothing really…other than Jucos do tend to be more ready than freshman, but mainly I like it because he is another big guy in addition to Thorne off the bench. 2 is better than 1…

I hope the guy does well, but I don’t think just because he is a JUCO player he will have a more immediate impact than Thorne. If we just signed Karron Johnson out of the JUCO ranks, I’d be a lot more excited.[/quote]

Nothing really…other than Jucos do tend to be more ready than freshman, but mainly I like it because he is another big guy in addition to Thorne off the bench. 2 is better than 1…[/quote]definitely cannot disagree with you there.

Well, now Frank Zappa is “playing” in my head!!![/quote]
And for me it is Funkadelic. Interesting.

Well, now Frank Zappa is “playing” in my head!!![/quote]
And for me it is Funkadelic. Interesting.[/quote]
Lyrics from Zappa’s “Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow”:

[i]Dreamed I was an eskimo
Frozen wind began to blow
Under my boots and around my toes
The frost that bit the ground below
It was a hundred degrees below zero…

And my mama cried
And my mama cried
Nanook, a-no-no
Nanook, a-no-no
Don’t be a naughty eskimo
Save your money, don’t go to the show

Well I turned around and I said oh, oh oh
Well I turned around and I said oh, oh oh
Well I turned around and I said ho, ho
And the northern lights commenced to glow
And she said, with a tear in her eye
Watch out where the huskies go, and don’t you eat that yellow snow
Watch out where the huskies go, and don’t you eat that yellow snow
[/i]

Never believed in this argument. I could go out there and hack someone hard enough 5 times and keep them from scoring, doesn’t mean I should get a scholorship to play basketball.

It would be one thing if he was averaging 4 points a game at a top level JUCO with good players ahead of him, but this guys team was 13-13 last season. Hard to see him being better than what I’ve read about Thorne.

Never believed in this argument. I could go out there and hack someone hard enough 5 times and keep them from scoring, doesn’t mean I should get a scholorship to play basketball.

It would be one thing if he was averaging 4 points a game at a top level JUCO with good players ahead of him, but this guys team was 13-13 last season. Hard to see him being better than what I’ve read about Thorne.[/quote] As long as you insist on posting here, how about helping us out and vote for Tilton.!

Sure, just have to tell me what Tilton is first.

Here you go Stilljonesing.

[size=6]http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/baseball[/size]

It would be one thing if he was averaging 4 points a game at a top level JUCO with good players ahead of him, but this guys team was 13-13 last season. Hard to see him being better than what I’ve read about Thorne.[/quote]This.

I actually think Thorne has a very high ceiling and will be a good player for us (although not this season). With only two years of eligibility and such low stats on the JUCO circuit, I’m very skeptical of this signing.

Welcome to Charlotte

4 out of 5 is not bad. SIGNING THIS KID IS… :o

I don’t know enough about the recruit to say whether it was a good signing or not. Hard to argue with us needing extra bodies.

That said, I’m almost always skeptical of jucos, even if the stats are stellar. It’s just no way to build a program (as we know from our recent past), but I’m hopeful this is an extremely limited event under Major. I’d be tempted to wonder if the scholarship is better saved for a freshman recruit next year if we can’t get someone this year, but I’m also of the opinion that next year will be rebuilding, so why bother attempting short-term fixes. Others will feel differently, especially if the result is another year where we lack players and finish similarly to last year.

Hopefully, Ivankovic will prove the skeptics wrong and at least provide solid minutes in a backup role, if not better.

let’s remember, Braz likes to get in foul trouble. Thorne will be a Freshman, most young bigs like to get in foul trouble. I think Ilija will get a fair share of PT.

I honestly hope i’m wrong, but this makes no sense to me. He got very little PT in JUCO. I’m honestly dumbfounded. It must be a scholly that we had to use or lose and we weren’t getting anyone else, so we might as well take a 6’10 kid.