Im comin

clt recommends vegas, just go to vegas.

Basden05, thatā€™s pretty ambitious. Do you have time to go up both coasts? Travelling both coasts is like travelling halfway around Australia, except with traffic lights and cops.

If youā€™re here for a month, seriously think about paring down the places you want to hit.

Otherwise, keep us up to date so we can make sure you get good bball tickets for your first time to Halton. :smile:

Hey All

Thanks for all of your replies. To answer some of your questions im sure my drivers license will work over there. Iā€™ll make sure I sort it our before I come over.
Like i said im just getting some ideaā€™s together now. Obviously ill go see a travel agent and she will advice me what is best and most cost effective. But yes I would like to see as much as possible in the month im there. I doubt i will have time to travel down both coasts but i definently wanna travel buy car through a part. Most likely the west coast part.

Thanks for all your input so far

Well dude, you know you can stay with me when you are in NC and I will get you an ace ticket for a ball game.

When you are closer to coming, let me know the exact dates and how long you will be in NC and I will try and get some time off from school.

[QUOTE=49or bust;377867]I stayed in a hostel in Edinburgh with my brother one time. [/QUOTE]

Was it the hostel near the castle? I stayed there for a couple of nights back in '99.

If you come through Richmond I can show you some old stuff.

Hey All

Thanks for all of your replies. To answer some of your questions im sure my drivers license will work over there. Iā€™ll make sure I sort it our before I come over.
Like i said im just getting some ideaā€™s together now. Obviously ill go see a travel agent and she will advice me what is best and most cost effective. But yes I would like to see as much as possible in the month im there. I doubt i will have time to travel down both coasts but i definently wanna travel buy car through a part. Most likely the west coast part.

Thanks for all your input so far

My suggestions tend to lean heavily towards natural beauty:
Itā€™s nice to travel by car down from San Fran to LA (or vice versa) on Highway one, it runs right on cliffs of the coast, through the Big Sur area. Really beautiful scenery. Halfway up is Monterrey Bay, which has a great aquarium, with mostly local species. Some ways inland is Sequoia national park, a little out of the way, but it does get you up into the bigger Sierra Nevada mountains. And Muir Woods just north of San Fransisco is nice for tall redwoods and not too far out of the way. San Fran is interesting, great food, but can be expensive (try Chinatown for dinner). Most of California and NY city are much more expensive than elsewhere.

My favorite scenic place in the US is Olympic National Park near Seattle Washington. Great hikes along mountain ridges right on the coast, temperate rainforests, and some pretty amazing rocky beaches full of interesting tide pools. But you need at least 3-4 days to tour it right so might not work for your trip.

If youā€™re going all the way to Grand Canyon, you might see if you have time for Zion, Canyonlands, Arches, or Glen Canyon parks in Utah, for some interesting moonscapes.

The museums in DC are very good and mostly free.

Charlotteā€™s Museum of the New South downtown is interesting imo, and has history of the civil rights movement here.

NC mountains in December? Unless thereā€™s snow, which would make travel tough, scenery is a bit drab while trees have no leaves. In summer, itā€™s beautiful.

Unless you like tourist-trap, trashy, theme park stuff, stay away from Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, Daytona Beach, much of LA and times square in NY (though the last is interesting to see for spectacle, just go somewhere else to stay and eat).

I agree with most, Florida will not be all that great with two exceptions: the Florida keys and Everglades national park. But you could find similar in Australia I bet.

Unfortunately, youā€™d probably end up wanting a car on both coasts.

Arches and Maub in Utah are awesome.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;377860]Motel 6 is quite possibly the greatest thing ever to happen to the road trip.
:smile:[/QUOTE]

As well as for the worldā€™s oldest profession ā€¦

So how did you get interested in the Niners & Panthers from Australia?
Iā€™ll meet you at Halton in Dec. '09. Iā€™ll buy you a Fosters afterwards so you can feel at home.

You may want to consider coming to Halton when they play Saint Louis. Saint Louis next year will be featuring two Aussies, Cody Ellis, a forward, and guard Christian Salecich. Both are currently now attending the Australian Institute of Sport and what I hear, Ellis is one of Australiaā€™s top forwards.

The unfortunate part is both schools donā€™t usually come out with the schedule till August at the earliest.

Anyway, sounds like a great trip you are planning.

Well I was a big pistons fan and I didnā€™t have a college team. Right around draft time when there was a big buzz around Rodney White I started checking out Charlotte and itā€™s stuck ever since. For the first couple of years I just checked the box scores every so often. The game that really got me into them was Plavichā€™s 10 threeā€™s against Syracuse. Then a couple of games later i remember being up at 2 in the morning for the Charlotte @ Cinncy game and remember watching the scores tick over on this little website. Good times.

Oh and then 2 years ago i got a 49ers tattoo. Have a look below, treat yourself:

http://exp.bmezine.com/search/srch2004.exe?pic=tattoo/A50621/high/bmegl084229.jpg&tsect=tattoo/sports001.html&desc=Charlotte+49ers%3Cbr%3E%3Cfont+size%3D-1%3Eby+LukeĀ±+Lord+of+the+SkinsĀ±+Perth%2C+Australia

[QUOTE=Basden05;378409]Well I was a big pistons fan and I didnā€™t have a college team. Right around draft time when there was a big buzz around Rodney White I started checking out Charlotte and itā€™s stuck ever since. For the first couple of years I just checked the box scores every so often. The game that really got me into them was Plavichā€™s 10 threeā€™s against Syracuse. Then a couple of games later i remember being up at 2 in the morning for the Charlotte @ Cinncy game and remember watching the scores tick over on this little website. Good times.

Oh and then 2 years ago i got a 49ers tattoo. Have a look below, treat yourself:

http://exp.bmezine.com/search/srch2004.exe?pic=tattoo/A50621/high/bmegl084229.jpg&tsect=tattoo/sports001.html&desc=Charlotte+49ers%3Cbr%3E%3Cfont+size%3D-1%3Eby+LukeĀ±+Lord+of+the+SkinsĀ±+Perth%2C+Australia[/QUOTE]

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

[QUOTE=hootie;378539]A thing of beauty is a joy forever.[/QUOTE]

Amazing what winning and having a lottery pick will do.

Hey again all

Your 2009 NNNIT Poster of the year here.

So now I can start to plan my trip to the USA for later this year. Jim posted the first dates for some of the 49ers away games for the upcoming season.
ā€œThe 49ers will play at Big East champion Louisville on Saturday, Dec. 5 and at SEC power Tennessee on Wednesday, Jan. 6. Charlotte will also play at local rival Winthrop on Saturday, Dec. 19ā€

So what my initial plans are is to fly into Louisville on the 4th of December. Then catch my first ever live 49ers game when they take on the Cardinals in Freedom Hall. Then I will have to fly out that night or early Sunday morning to Charlotte to see the Panthers take on the Tampa Bay Bucs at lunch time. It will be a tight turn around but it will be the weekend on my life. After that I will fly to New York and go from there.
But Ill be back in NC around the 18th-19th because the 49ers take on Winthrop on the 19th and it only takes around 45min from Charlottes Uni to Winthrop (As described by my spanish freind bleedsgreenandgold). Then wait for it. The Panthers take on the Minnesota Vikings the following day on a Sunday night at Bank of America. Now only a couple of 49ers dates have been announced as u know and there already matching up with Panthers games. This is awesome. I hope and pray that the 49ers play a game at Halton either around the 17th or the 21st (before or after the weekend) So I could see a game at Halton.

Itā€™s 1 in the morning and I canā€™t sleep cause im so excited with this news. I look forward to more dates being announced so I can start planning more. Im looking to finish my trip in Vegas around the start of Jan '10. But with the news that the will 49ers play at Tennesse on the 6th I might just stay longer and then end my trip in Tennesse and ill get to see the 49ers spank the Vols. Hell the panthers also play in New Orleans on the 3rd of Jan. Might catch that one too. Is New Orleans close to or on the way to Tennesse? Youll have to help me out on that one.

Well I best be off to Bed. Speak to yall soon

All of these cities also have hostels, which should help significantly cut the lodging costs...if you don't mind sharing a bathroom, that is.
No way I could stay in a Hostel..... Damn the movies!!!!!!!!!
Is New Orleans close to or on the way to Tennesse? Youll have to help me out on that one.
Nope, not at all. Tennessee (the college in particular) is very close to us, near the east coast. New Orleans is way down south along the gulf of Mexico. It's a good little distance down there from Tennessee. It's probably a somewhat short flight from Tennessee tho. A few hours I guess. [EDIT] Ok, out of curiosity I looked up flight times from Charlotte and Knoxville, TN to NO. It's a 1:16 flight from Knoxville and 1:35 from Charlotte. For your convenience, Knoxville's airport code is TYS and New Orleans's is MSY.

That trip sounds freakin awesome man! Itā€™s going to be very cool to meet you and have you up here for our games. Iā€™m sure it will be an amazing time.

I know seeing us play the Vols would be great, but if it means missing out on Vegas then Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d pick the Niners in your situation. Iā€™ve never been there, but I hear itā€™s very worth it haha. Great way to end your trip. Maybe you could do both tho.

No way I could stay in a Hostel..... Damn the movies!!!!!!!!!
I stayed in one (before that movie came out). It wasn't that bad. Kinda weird but it was cool. My brother and I met some cool aussies and a south african and hung out with them that night in Edinburgh. Nothing to be afraid of.. of course Eastern Europe isn't exactly the same as the British Isles heh.

[QUOTE=Basden05;377778]Hey All

As some of you are aware im a big fan from down under. Perth, Australia to be exact. Anyway ivā€™e been wanting to come to the states for at least 3 years now. Mainly to see a 49ers game in Halton arena and a Panthers game.
Ivā€™e decided that this is the year that im coming to the States to check out everything. If I dont do it this year then it probably will never happen.
Im going to meet my cousin (who is a big bball fan too) in early december. We want to check out all there is to see and will be over for about a month. Im just praying too god there is a good game at Halton around early to mid december. That way i can plan the trip around that. Also if the 49ers are playing any away games that i might be near im there.
I know a little about america and what sites and cities i should see. What i was planing to do is start my trip in New York. Then travel down to Charlotte obviously. Wouldnā€™t mind seeing Virginia and Boston too. Then i want to finish the east coast in Florida and then fly over too the west. Where i would like too see San Fransisco, Hollywood and then spend new years eve in Vegas.

Like i said im just getting some ideaā€™s together. If anyone has any ideaā€™s for me for places to see or things to do im all ears. I donā€™t know anyone in America so you guys are all ivā€™e got. Thatā€™s sweet of me isnā€™t it haha.

Anywho im really exciting and canā€™t wait to finally get over there. One more thing iā€™d like to drive for a part of the trip and just take everything in that way. What i was originally thinking is getting a car when i get to the west coast and driving to the Grand Canyon and stuff like that. But if you guys have any other ideaā€™s please let me know.

Seeee ya and Go Charlotte[/QUOTE]

How did you become a Niners fan in Perth? What are your connections to the states and Charlotte? Just wondering. Glad to have you.

Basden05 you rock. Your trip sounds like a blast. Itā€™ll be great to have a Niner in Freedom Hall if we can pull out a victory.