Inaugural A-10 hoops legends announced

Cedric Maxwell and Paula Bennett represent the Niners in the A-10’s inaugural list of hoops legends for each of the conference’s 16 institutions. They will be honored in March during the conference tournament in Brooklyn.

Atlantic10.com: Atlantic 10 Conference Announces Inaugural Men’s Basketball Legends

Charlotte49ers.com: Maxwell Announced As A-10 Men’s Basketball Legend

Atlantic10.com: Atlantic 10 Announces Inaugural Women’s Basketball Legends

Charlotte49ers.com: Bennett Announced as A-10 Women’s Hoop Legend

Ummmm… sorry A10… but Cornbread is not an A10 legend.

You can keep a legend who played in your conference, but you can’t claim a guy who played before your conference even existed.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:2, topic:27380”]Ummmm… sorry A10… but Cornbread is not an A10 legend.

You can keep a legend who played in your conference, but you can’t claim a guy who played before your conference even existed.[/quote]

Yeah, thought this was a little odd. Is this a new thing they’re doing?

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:3, topic:27380”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:2, topic:27380”]Ummmm… sorry A10… but Cornbread is not an A10 legend.

You can keep a legend who played in your conference, but you can’t claim a guy who played before your conference even existed.[/quote]

Yeah, thought this was a little odd. Is this a new thing they’re doing?[/quote] Yes. I was told that the A10 requires the schools (meaning our athletic dept) to pay expenses to have the “legends” appear during the tournament in Brooklyn. Wonder if Maxwell will step up and reimburse.
BTW, the women’s player never played in the A10 either. I’m thinking Temple is not crazy about this either. Would have been nice if they waited one more year.

I’m okay with the premise of this as stated in the release. Also think it’s interesting that not all of the legends were players.

About the only selection I would quibble with on the men’s side is Bona’s - Earl Belcher over Bob Lanier?! That’s a real head scratcher. I would have picked Jim Baron over Belcher, but when the choices include Lanier, it would seem a no brainer. Hmmm…

Who is The Dobber?