Interview with Mike Hill

Football stadium expansion is like an illegitimate bastard child, it seems to not get brought up very much in these type of interviews.

Man Iā€™ve seen lots and lots of criticism of Ron, the program, the team, but very little individual player criticism. When I have seen it, itā€™s questioning why a particular player or players get so many minutes. Every program deals with this. It isnā€™t great, but itā€™s reality and any player specific comments represent a tiny minority of the overall comments. Theyā€™ve made that into a straw man for objective criticism.

Understood. This was on Twitter and it was uncalled for. I donā€™t want to repost it.

Yeah, I agree with both of you. Iā€™ve tried to make it a point to keep it about Ron myself and I think in general the posts here have been at most questioning rotation regarding players. Twitter thoughā€¦

The overwhelming majority are criticizing Ron

Ok. Point taken. Iā€™m not on twitter so Iā€™ll take Hill at his word. If twitter morons are being drunk keyboard cowboys I see his take.

I am on Twitter, basically daily, and Iā€™m just not seeing it. to the extent it has happened itā€™s being grossly exaggerated.

2 Likes

I agree. The majority of everything is against Ron.

There was basically one guy (drunkniner) that was shitting specifically on threadgill, and Threadgills mom clapped back,

Other than that, I havenā€™t seen anyone being critical of specific players in a malicious manner.

2 Likes

clt says social media needs to go away, starting with the tick tock

1 Like

Hopefully anyone bashing players on social are not anyone who participates on this board. I think we all know better. Hopefully that was a student who needs to grow up.

Personally I believe negatives toward players on social are a bad look and uncalled for. ESPECIALLY if they are in good standing with the team and the U having kept their nose clean, play hard, good teammate etc.

Complaining publicly about performance of college players is nonproductive.

Leave that for the pros IMO.

I donā€™t go after players but this is going to be a byproduct of kids being able to make money. Regardless of if they do or not the perception of college athletes is going to be more aligned to pros and the relationship between fans and players is going to change.

Thanks for linking that interview.

Thought the interviewer did a really good job, asking the Sun Belt question was really insightful.

Interesting to me how Southern Miss with lots of athletic program history/experience and a strong fanbase went for the Sun Belt opportunity.

If players are getting paid to play then they are open for criticism

2 Likes

Hereā€™s something to consider. Mike probably knows how valued the Charlotte job is more than anyone since he got a gauge on that when he hire Ron. So Mike has two jobs essentially, have a coach that is winning consistently (Not there yet) and raise the prestige of the job. Maybe keeping Ron is a show to future coaches that the AD will have your back in a time when coaches get a short leash. Just a thought.

1 Like

Absolutely why you donā€™t fire a coach after 3 years or after the Covid year. Makes hiring the next guy far more difficult.

I do think Ron has settled some things program wise.

All of those excuses are gone now though.