Irwin Belk (1922-2018) - sponsored bill to create UNCC

Longtime UNCC supporter Irwin “Ike” Belk passed away this past weekend.

A couple of paragraphs from the Big O piece about him:

[Quote]As a state senator in 1965, Belk introduced the legislation creating UNCC as the fourth member of the University of North Carolina. He also coordinated the coalition that backed the bill, turning Charlotte College into the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. He later served on the UNC System Board of Governors and the UNCC Board of Trustees.

At UNCC, Belk is the largest overall donor to 49er athletics, and the track and field complex on the main campus bears his name, the university said. Three residence halls on campus are dedicated to his children, and he also commissioned or donated more than 25 sculptures around campus.
[/quote]
Charlotteobserver.com: Prominent member of Belk family who helped create UNC Charlotte dies at age 95

UNCC .com: UNC CHARLOTTE REMEMBERS ITS LONGTIME CHAMPION IRWIN “IKE” BELK

Great guy, and UNC Charlotte/Charlotte 49ers would not be anything like we are today if not specifically for him. He was a man that understood that the future of the city required a significant university, and he set about building it. I am not sure Charlotte (city) has men like this anymore.

[quote=“Nugget, post:2, topic:32398”]Great guy, and UNC Charlotte/Charlotte 49ers would not be anything like we are today if not specifically for him. He was a man that understood that the future of the city required a significant university, and he set about building it. I am not sure Charlotte (city) has men like this anymore.[/quote]it does but they’re all old enough that they could be gone any day.

Good man. R.I.P.

Never met the man, but his influence on the University is obvious. RIP to one of the great benefactors and visionaries for the University.

Rest in peace to a kind and generous man. Forever grateful.