Is CLT still a commuter school?

905 Scott!!

Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line

I think most people, when they refer to a school as a ā€œcommuterā€ school, use it as a pejorative description. Itā€™s not a real college, itā€™s a night school or itā€™s students donā€™t careā€¦well, I suspect that the university is comparable to many peers and others in that we house several thousand, but many, many students live off campus. Iā€™d guess a 1/3 on campus or right next door in apartments.

Iā€™m not sure it would be a good idea for Charlotte to prevent freshman from having cars, although I understand the reason some suggest it. We may not be a ā€œcommuterā€ school in that traditional sense, but we also have a lot of freshman living at home to save money and a lot of non-tradtional ā€œfreshmenā€ who must have their car. It wouldnā€™t work well at Charlotte in my opinion.

I think you need to make freshman live on campus and take away parking, it may have some negetives but the amount of love for the school would definitley increase. That being said the past couple of times Iā€™ve been on campus during the weekend I would not call it dead. Alot more livley than 2017 when I graduated.

The lack of dining options on weekends is horrendous. School needs to do a better job keeping more of those open

1 Like

Itā€™s true, but thatā€™s on Chartwells. Itā€™s a similar situation to the Bookstore Iā€™m sure.

Seems like schools that require freshman on campus have no room for above freshman. Iā€™d rather have rooms for kids that want to be on campus. As a parent Iā€™d rather have my kid on campus no matter how uncool it might be in first few years.

1 Like

Commuter school is a derogatory term from other condescending people. My daughter said Charlotte is known as a party school now. I knew then that all the hard partying in the 1990ā€™s had paid off in terms of the Universityā€™s reputation

Commuter school is a way of putting down a school.

In the 70ā€™s I spent a year at Chapel Hell. Most all the upper level students lived off campus. Even in ā€˜76 there werenā€™t enough dorm rooms as freshmen were required to live on campus their first year.

Charlotte had 5700 students I believe when I arrived in the Spring of ā€˜76. We built Phase 1 (Hunt), Phase 2 (Martin) I think, and Smurf Village after. I lived in Moore then Hunt when it opened. Then moved off campus. I loved Hunt and those apartments. By ā€˜80 when I graduated there were over 9000 students. I guess we are a destination school.

I certainly did my part haha

We certainly began as a commuter school and was when I attended in the early 70s. However we are not a commuter school now and those who say we are, are just talking trash and really know the truth. Theyā€™re just trying to insult us. Forgetaboutit.

I donā€™t even entertain such conversations as it is just a waste of my breath. Every school has some percentage of students that are commuters and there is nothing wrong with that. Charlotte has come along way since the days of weekend black holes on campus. I agree with past comments that those that keep beating this horse shows their ignorance and jealousy of what their university may or may not be when compared to the explosion known as Charlotte. Iā€™m damn proud for my wife and I to be 98 grads and now my oldest becomes the next in the house to start his next path as an incoming freshman at Charlotte.

Go MFā€™ing NINERS!!!

3 Likes

Agreed 100%.

Not to mention that any school in a large city is going to have a large % of commuters because the kids can commute and they get a lot of applicants from the city.

Iā€™m sure there are many fine universities in big cities that have the same percentage of students living at home as we do.

1 Like

No university with 7000 beds on campus could be considered commuter, IMHO.

2 Likes

Plus a couple thousand of apartments and rental houses/rooms in walking distance. If not more.

1 Like

clt says we have more students on campus or campus adjacent than any school in NC.

maybe ncsu has more, until we pass them in enrollment

Pendelt Julius Welschof aus Deutschland?

Does Julius Welschof commute from Germany?