Is CLT still a commuter school?

The guy from ECU that recently did an overview of football for all AAC teams for 2023-24 season stated (I think) that CLT is a commuter school. I am pretty sure that I heard him correctly. I would not consider CLT to be a commuter school.

I believe the University states 7K students on campus. I guess there is another 1-2 K living within 1-2 miles of campus. I think University at Chapel Hill, South Carolina, NC State, and Georgia report their number of students on-campus at between 7-9k students.

CLT appears to be in the mix with other larger schools in our area. I guess the other question is do students stick around on weekends. These are important questions to consider as our sports teams improve and more fans are expected to be in the stands.

Last thing to consider is the university experience. When I was at CLT it was pretty wide open. Then Reagan upped the drinking aga to 21. I assume that dramatically changed the college experience at CLT. Has the experience changed more dramatically at CLT than other schools? Has the administration cracked down hard on drinking or does the university turn a blind eye? And how does 5 points in Columbia still thrive when most of the students cannot legally drink?

I would like to hear from others with knowledge or first hand experience regarding my questions. Do you think CLT is still a commuter school? Why is it or isnā€™t it? Thanks for your response.

I canā€™t find my post, but a while back I pulled actual data and the # of students on and around campus is much higher than your estimates. I believe it was closer to 15k-17k within walking distance. We have added a good amount of dorm rooms and there are numerous new apartment complexes.

This is not anything close to a commuter campus. I went to Tennessee for grad school for 3 years and if we are a commuter school, so is UT. We probably have very comparable levels of students living on or nearby campus, with equivalent levels of weekend activity with ONE exception: 6 (7 in their case) Saturdays per year. Thatā€™s the one thing we need to fix.

But otherwise, hell no, the commuter school rhetoric is decades out of date. We have 30k+ students with about 60% of them living right there.

Iā€™d like to see the redevelopment of the Kohls shopping center as per those plans into a more student centric development. That will help too.

1 Like

Advocate I appreciate your comment. I think that you are one of the most knowledgeable posters on the CLT forum. Did I hear the ECU guy wrong? I donā€™t think so? So how is this outdated theory still being circulated and what can be done to change this viewpoint?

Old habits die hard. Itā€™s like Appys saying weā€™re in Concord. We havenā€™t been a commuter school for quite some time IMO.

2 Likes

Bring them on campus.

Seriously. A 15-20 minute slow drive through and around campus will immediately shut anyone up.

Short of that, a good area flyover video of the area along with the published numbers I referenced before (IIRC I took them right from the university site - I just canā€™t remember where) should also do the trick.

Stuff like that. Thereā€™s probably better. That was 30 seconds of effort.

1 Like

Heck, even though this is negative, itā€™s an example of all of the crazy apartment building by campus:

Ditto:

We have so many kids trying to live on campus that we cannot supply enough on campus housing, despite building so many new dorms. That is NOT indicative of a commuter school.

This is old data I think from 2021:

https://housing.charlotte.edu/housing-options/why-live-campus

There was a hard data survey of off campus apartments around the school that I cited, but I must have deleted the files.

No, we are not a commuter school.

These folks that call us that are confusing ā€œcommuterā€ with ā€œnon-traditionalā€ students.

We are still high on non-trads and thatā€™s fine. Itā€™s moving in the traditional student direction by the year.

1 Like

Some good, fairly current (2022) data on this site, but youā€™re gonna want to use an ad blocker browser like Brave (strongly recommend!):

24k undergrad, 22k of which are age 18-24. We have another 3600 grad students in their 20s, which is also ā€œtraditionalā€.

No there is no definition whereby this school is a commuter OR non traditional school.

1 Like

Ask ECU about their online numbers that keep them boosted in the rankings.

Some of our newer housing (but not all of it):

Those numbers donā€™t include newer dorms like phase 16 which has beds for another 692 students:

3 Likes

And the money they take out of the med school.

Thanks for the update. That info with your comments supports what I thought.

Believe it or not, I believe people that still like to put the hyphen ā€œ-ā€ in the school name helps this myth stick around.

Also, 30 years ago, they considered anyone not in an official university dorm or apartment as a commuter student. Even though for most of the off campus apartments students lived in, the students would walk/bike to campus.

They still do.

When I was there, I lived in 916 Scott Hall. Then the plan was for 30K students with roughly 33 percent of that being on campus students. Now that the university has hit 30k students, does anyone know the latest planned overall student population and on campus student population long term?

1 Like

clt says absolutely not.

We have more students on and living adjacent to campus than total students at some ā€œbigā€ schools. We have had and continue to have an image problem.

The only thing we lack is a Franklin Street, Hillsborough Street, or whatever the f&ck that street is named next to App.

That lack of a little downtown hurts the image because when you visit you cant just step off campus onto a retail and dining street.

Now if you look at the reality, who knows. A ton of our students probably party and eat all over the city including downtown Charlotte.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not the only thing we lack. Campus is still mostly dead on the weekends. No more on campus parking for freshmen and keep all the dining options open on the weekends. It will lead to a push for significantly more vibrant student life and more of the university feel.

3 Likes

I was told that freshman parking was already banned?