Is the NBA rigged?

Pro basketball is an even greater joke than college basketball

4 Likes

Probably a rabbit hole I shouldn’t enter, but why do you say that?

I’m also curious about that opinion.

Because I find the NBA to be a far superior on court product than college basketball AND the league is organized in a way that any team if properly managed, skillfully scouted and coached, and with a smidge of luck, can build a team to compete for the title.

That is not true of college.

2 Likes

It’s rigged from the games to the draft.

1 Like

Gotta vehemently disagree. The Bucks won the title a couple of years back for goodness sake. Denver did last year. The Mavs have won it. The Knicks are the biggest Market in the world and them and Brooklyn haven’t sniffed a title in 50 years.

The evidence doesn’t support the rigged thing. Although I will give you that I’ve heard the lottery was rigged for the Knicks to get Ewing from a good source. I’ll give you that one but they still didn’t win it

3 Likes

clt says the nba is awful, rather watch hockey

5 Likes

There is no evidence to support that view.

See the previous response about the Knicks for an example.

Have there been instances of impropriety in the NBA draft or officiating before?

There is evidence to support that but it’s few and far between.

The owners in the NBA are billionaires and they are not spending that much money to buy into a corrupt systems.

If it was rigged you would have seen the title spread much more widely than we have seen.

Good ownership, talent evaluation, cap management and some luck are what build title winners in the NBA.

4 Likes

I think the draft is rigged somewhat. Wemby was always going to Pops in SA. No way the league lets him come to the shit show the Hornets were with a transistion in ownership and the carousel of coaches. My biggest problem with NBA is letting the players collude and form super teams and bias officiating to the stars.

4 Likes

The NBA is rigged for traditional powers like OKC, Denver, and Minnesota?

1 Like

Golden State use to be an afterthought in the league.

Then they got Steph Curry and great ownership and got lucky there was a salary cap spike that the players refused to use cap smoothing to space out the time of the cap increase which allowed them to get Durant.

That was all fixed?

Portland took Sam Bowie instead of Jordan. Was that a fix?

The league nullified a trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers. So that was a fix for the lowly New Orleans Hornets?

Toronto made one of the greatest trades in league history to get Kawhai Leonard who hit a miraculous shot against Philadelphia and then led the lowly Raptors to the title. That was a fix??

Did the NBA cause several teams to pass on Luca Doncic so the owner who has been the biggest pain in their ass for years can get him?

The Denver Nuggets took the greatest player of the last 5 years and an all time hall of famer in Jokic with the 41st pick.

Was that orchestrated by the NBA???

You guys and your conspiracy theories!

3 Likes

Can we move this current stream to another thread.? I keep seeing “new posts” and my heart jumps thinking we have signed someone.

2 Likes

i absolutely do NOT the NBA is “rigged” in the manner that most of you are speaking of (certain teams have to win the title, get the top picks, etc.) but what IS “fixed” or at least allowed is the unbalanced officiating in favor of the top 5-10% of “big name” players" Anyone who has watched more than 2 minutes of an NBA game within the last decade+ can see that. Some guys (big names) can hack all day long and maybe get whistled once out of every 10 times. Those same players can walk/travel without a whistlle and can also initiate contact (terribly obvious) with a defender and get a foul called on the defender (no name player) every time. In fact, often times even without contact they will get the foul called against the defender. …for me, this is terribly annoying to watch.

1 Like

I have not watched the NBA enough lately to know if Star players get preferential treatment. However, they used to when I did watch years ago. Another reason I started watching less NBA games, is due to lack of hustle during the regular season and players not playing in all the games due to so called injury management. Playoff basketball is a much different game though and do like those games.

1 Like

it is WAY MORE prevalent today than it was 20-30 years ago.

clt says jordan pushed off against the jazz

2 Likes

I think uville is right about the officiating.

There is a long standing culture in the NBA of stars and veterans getting slightly preferential treatment over everyone else by the refs.

I do think it’s actually gotten better though.

And as far as the hustle thing. I think established players will load manage more, but I see tons of hustle from the less established players and from everyone when the games are in crunch time.

In fact I think the players play too recklessly and too hard in the regular season and this results in too many injuries (see Joel Embiid as an example).

I second the statement on the playoffs.

I urge anyone who has not watched th NBA in a while to watch some of the playoffs this year and enjoy what is in general some of the finest basketball you will ever see.

Unless a team knows they’re beaten in a series and it’s a close out game you are likely to see max effort and some fantastic basketball.

And if you like intensity, I urge you to take a road trip up to Greensboro and watch a Swarm G League game.

I did that this year and that was one of the better basketball experiences I have had.

Not a bad seat in the house (it’s the size of a HS gym) and the players in the G league are playing for their futures. The game i saw was super intense.

1 Like

Ever seen Duke or UNCCh play a team like, uuummm, hell us? It ain’t just the league

2 Likes

Yes----but the NBA is 10x worse.

2 Likes

Lol, no it’s not. I watch the NBA a lot and it’s a fair fight most all the time. Hell, LBJ gets fouled almost every time he drives and they don’t call it much and he’s the face of the league.

1 Like

I’m not in on the conspiracy theory, but I believe the league did own the Hornets during that time.