Isn't it exciting!

As a '93 Alum I have eagerly awaited a football program. However, campus rumor in my days blamed Bonnie Cone for the lack of football as she ellegedly threatened to stop funding the university if they started a team up. This would have made the costs double as they would lose start up and their biggest private funder. However, I had hoped with her passing the university would step up and promote a football team. Regardless, blaming Judy isn’t going to solve the program woes. If are team coul make it past the first round of the NCAAs that would improve recruitment and improve our national status. Look at Gonzaga, that is a university basketball program we should be emulating in our current situtation.

As a '93 Alum I have eagerly awaited a football program. However, campus rumor in my days blamed Bonnie Cone for the lack of football as she ellegedly threatened to stop funding the university if they started a team up. This would have made the costs double as they would lose start up and their biggest private funder.

This one still persists today, even when I was there from 95-99. It’s also not true.

Bonnie Cone gave money to the university but she was by no means a rich woman. She never threatend the university regarding football.

We aren’t able to fund fully all the sports we have now, much less millions for a football team.

We aren't able to fund fully all the sports we have now, much less millions for a football team.

Is anything being done to change this? Hiring an aggressive fund-raiser could do wonders.

Is anything being done to change this? Hiring an aggressive fund-raiser could do wonders.

We’re always trying to raise funds. Judy has done well in this regard. The baseball stadium improvements were due to her fund raising and going after local businesses. Only problem is they didn’t include funding for the metro statue out front. Another reason he’s bitter.

The challenges to raising the kinds of funds necessary for football are huge. We have an apathetic sports community in Charlotte, terrible alumni giving rates as compared to other schools and our academic funding isn’t what it ought to be either.

I want football, better conference affiliation etc. as much as anyone but I fully understand the difficulty in making that happen.

[QUOTE=MKNiner;147925]We’re always trying to raise funds. Judy has done well in this regard. The baseball stadium improvements were due to her fund raising and going after local businesses. Only problem is they didn’t include funding for the metro statue out front. Another reason he’s bitter.

The challenges to raising the kinds of funds necessary for football are huge. [/QUOTE]

um, no she hasnt.

I am not bitter either. I just know when getting worse is getting worse.

other schools make the funds happen.

nice try Pinnochio.

I think the last official fundraiser letter said we’re raising less ratio-wise then we were even a few years ago. That’s not good.

um, no she hasnt.
So you're saying she didn't raise the money for the new stadium improvements?
I am not bitter either.

Nice try Pinnochio. You’re still pissed because she came on the team bus and supposedly didn’t know who you were. Crime that it is.

other schools make the funds happen.

Other schools who don’t suffer with the same challenges we do and who make it a priority. We have different priorities right now, chief of which are in the academic areas.

It’s good to see that MK is still allowed to be rude and bullying.

Hopefully this post will get deleted as well.

It's good to see that MK is still allowed to be rude and bullying.

Hopefully this post will get deleted as well.

Bullying?:rolleyes:

football and funding, chicken and the egg

I like the A-10,
It’s a hell of a conference!!!

football and funding, chicken and the egg

Definently.

Olson did a real good article just before Christmas about the challenges of starting football. Sorenson chimed in as well. Pretty good reads. I think they’re on here somewhere.

Most telling in my opinion is from Sorenson.

Football teams are expensive. So anytime you complain to Charlotte about the absence of football, the school can pull out a study that cites the cost of starting and sustaining a program.

Then it can direct you to the ticket office, where plenty of good seats are available for baseball, softball, volleyball, golf, tennis, track, women’s basketball and soccer.

Not that most of these draw huge crowds, but it speaks to the larger problem of the support we have for our programs, basketball especially.

I find it interesting that Judy was able to get money donated for improvement and expansion of the baseball program, but claims there is no money for football. Think about it… if Wachovia was willing to help financially for the baseball fieldhouse… that NO ONE ever sees then why would they not help with a football program with higher profile.

Funding will continue to decline as our student base gets larger, but the school does not keep these students connected to the university. It will also decline aslong as our conference alignment continues to falter.

Funding is a chicken and the egg of football. If the school were to simply annouce that football IS in the future I think you would see funding increase, both for the football program AND all other programs. I would give more if I had some faith in the department and the leadership.

You want to sell out basketball… give us a football team and create some passion in the student body in September. Give them a reason to love Niner athletics rather than a reason to go to Raleigh and watch NCSU play.

[QUOTE=MKNiner;147930]So you’re saying she didn’t raise the money for the new stadium improvements?

Nice try Pinnochio. You’re still pissed because she came on the team bus and supposedly didn’t know who you were. Crime that it is.

Other schools who don’t suffer with the same challenges we do and who make it a priority. We have different priorities right now, chief of which are in the academic areas.[/QUOTE]

if you are gonna be argumentative (which is a given) then at least get it right…

I was not the one in question. She did not know who Bo Robinson nor James Matan was…first team All Americans. I was long gone. jeez.

other schools don’t face the same challenges??? for gods sake that is weak and flat untrue. I guess Akron doesn’t compete with Ohio St fans, nor U of O, or Cinci or etc… Does Richmond compete with UVA, Va Tech, VCU? Everyone faces the same circumstances.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;147940]I find it interesting that Judy was able to get money donated for improvement and expansion of the baseball program, but claims there is no money for football. Think about it… if Wachovia was willing to help financially for the baseball fieldhouse… that NO ONE ever sees then why would they not help with a football program with higher profile.

Funding will continue to decline as our student base gets larger, but the school does not keep these students connected to the university. It will also decline aslong as our conference alignment continues to falter.

Funding is a chicken and the egg of football. If the school were to simply annouce that football IS in the future I think you would see funding increase, both for the football program AND all other programs. I would give more if I had some faith in the department and the leadership.

You want to sell out basketball… give us a football team and create some passion in the student body in September. Give them a reason to love Niner athletics rather than a reason to go to Raleigh and watch NCSU play.[/QUOTE]

that Wachovia field house was built over a decade ago and badly needed for 3 sports.

[QUOTE=MKNiner;147938]Definently.

Olson did a real good article just before Christmas about the challenges of starting football. Sorenson chimed in as well. Pretty good reads. I think they’re on here somewhere.

Most telling in my opinion is from Sorenson.

Not that most of these draw huge crowds, but it speaks to the larger problem of the support we have for our programs, basketball especially.[/QUOTE]

again, whose job is it to stoke attendance and raise money?

do you give Judy a pass on the poor performance in these two areas simply to win this given argument??

deep down you know the program performs poor and in need of a new leader, you just want argue with your Daddy Metro.

Think about it... if Wachovia was willing to help financially for the baseball fieldhouse... that NO ONE ever sees then why would they not help with a football program with higher profile.

I think that’s a good question. My personal opinion is the money they gave for the field house is nothing compared to what we’d need from them, or another corporation, to start and maintain football. It’s not just starting it, it’s keeping it going. Most football programs are lucky to break even. We’d need sustained financial support from alumni and businesses to avoid going so far in the red that we have to fold other sports completely.

I wish the NCAA would exempt football from Title IX. Personally I think it’s a statute that has far outlived it’s usefullness but will never go away because of the politics involved. If football were exempted then I can see no reason why we wouldn’t be able to push forward having cut the costs in half at that point.

I don’t know that this would happen. Let’s be honest, the people that are really pushing for football and refuse to give more because we don’t have it are a vocal minority. The fact is there is no outcry from the majority of alumni or the community for it. Support is sparce at best. If we were to announce we’re starting play in 2010 I don’t know that funding would increase. I’m of the opinion at least a good portion of the money should be committed prior to moving forward.

You want to sell out basketball.... give us a football team and create some passion in the student body in September. Give them a reason to love Niner athletics rather than a reason to go to Raleigh and watch NCSU play.

We’ve sold out basketball many times without this and the only formula was a winning team. Look at the last games of the season last year. If this team is successful on the court we’ll sell games out. We don’t need football.

USoCal is one of the best teams in the country and this year they are averaging 2676 for home games.

football does one thing for hoops…it gets/keeps you in a real conference

that is what is so funny about all you anti footballers…you say “lets focus on hoops and get fully funded”

well obviously w/o football you see where your hoops conference affiliation goes. You wind up in the sorry A10

Big East 8 projected teams dancing
A10 …2

Not saying that the fieldhouse was not needed 10 years ago or today. I am simply saying that IF a major corporation helped with that then we should be able to line up corporate financial banking for a higher profile football program.

I was not the one in question. She did not know who Bo Robinson nor James Matan was...first team All Americans. I was long gone. jeez.

Just shows how much I truly don’t care.

other schools don't face the same challenges??? for gods sake that is weak and flat untrue. I guess Akron doesn't compete with Ohio St fans, nor U of O, or Cinci or etc... Does Richmond compete with UVA, Va Tech, VCU? Everyone faces the same circumstances.

They’ve also been playing football for over a century.

deep down you know the program performs poor and in need of a new leader, you just want argue with your Daddy Metro.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, that’s it.