It apparently took Coastal Carolina ...

ā€¦ five years to get a FBS opponent onto the schedule. Programā€™s first game was in Sept. 2003

The Sun News, Myrtle Beach, S.C.
McClatchy-Tribune Information ServicesMar. 21ā€“A line has begun to form for what are expected to be the most sought-after tickets in the history of Coastal Carolina football.
The athletic department is taking ticket requests for the Aug. 30 game at Penn State, the first Football Bowl Subdivision opponent for Coastal.
Coastalā€™s allotment of 5,000 tickets has not yet arrived, but 400 Coastal fans have called to reserve some of the $61 tickets, according to Coastal Athletics Director Warren Koegel.
Koegel said there is no ticket limit per request and CCU is screening calls to make sure requests are being made by Coastal partisans.
ā€œWeā€™d love to see 5,000 Chanticleer fans at Penn State,ā€ Koegel said. ā€œThat would be the ultimate.ā€
Tickets can be requested by calling the ticket office at 843-347-8499 or toll free 877-424-2687. More information is available at www.goccusports.com.
Koegel said hotels are difficult to come by in State College, but nearby areas like Altoona have rooms available. Coastal is working on getting tailgate areas and charter buses to the game.
Beaver Stadium holds over 107,000 fans.
ā€œIt is a tremendous experience to watch a football game in that setting,ā€ said Koegel, who played at Penn State. ā€œWe might not get this opportunity again.ā€

Are you running out of spoons to stir the pot with?

1st
They have next to ZERO chance to even be competitive in this game and theyā€™ll have more CC fans [B]AT[/B] penn state than we have for a home basketball game.

2nd
There is a big difference in the capabilites of a 12k student Big South all sports school who has no desire to be 1-a, and a 22k (soon to be 35-40K) student on the brink of High major in all sports school who wants to jump to 1-A fast.

Just thought it was interesting. Donā€™t be so sensitive.

Just thought it was interesting. Don't be so sensitive.
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Sorry, thought it was another Observer shot at the Mac Everett math that included game guarantees.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] [/FONT]

For further comparison, UAB played Kansas in its programā€™s fourth season (and lost 72-0). Was second season in I-AA, though, as first two seasons were in Division II.

South Florida played first I-A opponent early in its third season (the only one of that year). In 2000 season it was four 1-A games and seven 1-AA games. Full 1A schedule in 2001.

I was initially surprised it took Coastal that long, but itā€™s not that far out of the ordinary. I looked at USF and UAB because those are two programs most often cited here as models.

[QUOTE=ninerID;307810][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Sorry, thought it was another Observer shot[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/QUOTE]I thought the same thing at first. But then I remembered Mike defended Niner football and the student fee increase when the rest of the Observer staff was throwing cheap shots at us. We need more fans like him.

[QUOTE=Chipper;307813]I thought the same thing at first. But then I remembered Mike defended Niner football and the student fee increase when the rest of the Observer staff was throwing cheap shots at us. We need more fans like him.[/QUOTE]

Iā€™m think adding football would be a good move. I wouldnā€™t say Iā€™m ā€œforā€ the fee increase at the current level.

I'm think adding football would be a good move. I wouldn't say I'm "for" the fee increase at the current level.

Itā€™s not that big of an increase when you factor the size of the schoolā€¦ but Iā€™m not going in that debateā€¦ glad to see youā€™re a believer Mike.