IU fans not happy with the clock operator

All of the posters on the IU board are saying that it was 1.44 sec from catch to shot for BP. They want the timekeeper tarred, feathered, and left out in the Bloomington snowstorm.

Best line: Maybe the timekeeper hates Mike Davis too!

They are also saying that IU’s last bucket was an offensive goal tend and maybe should not of counted, I did not notice that one.

Isn’t the clock operator the 4th official? They can’t gripe about it being an IU employee that has it out for Mike Davis but they can gripe about the zebras, won’t do them any good though !!

Man, if y’all ever think you don’t have freedom of speech here, just go visit their board tonight. The Mods there are deleting the majority of the negative posts over there. Those guys can’t even properly vent tonight without being censored. :lol:

I agree with the one guy that pretty much said 'hey, it was OUR court and he hit a half court shot…so what if the clock was questionable??"

[i]Originally posted by 49erInMichigan[/i]@Dec 22 2004, 10:50 PM [b] Isn't the clock operator the 4th official? They can't gripe about it being an IU employee that has it out for Mike Davis but they can gripe about the zebras, won't do them any good though !! [/b]
No, the home team supplies the clock operator and official scorer.
[i]Originally posted by Smoothieking+Dec 22 2004, 10:54 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Smoothieking @ Dec 22 2004, 10:54 PM)

Was just over there reading their whining errr postings. Not like it was home cooking costing them a game. Suck it up & move on. I’m still pissed about our player (I believe it was Dinkins) getting SHOVED out of bounds in Rupp Arena & the call was traveling, just so Kentucky could win their very own beloved Big Cat tournament many years ago, but hey I’ve (kinda) moved on. BTW, that play made Sports Illustrated magazines biggest Rip Offs of the Decade list … I believe it was #2 or #3 if memory serves me.

As long as you are using a human clock operator, there will always be a slight delay between when the player actually touches the ball and when the lock starts because you cannot just predict when the player will catch it because if he lets it hit the ground and the clock operator had already started the clock then the clock operator would totally mess up the game, so it is just part of the way games are run that there is a slight delay because of human reaction time.

Brendan Plavich didn’t get lucky. Charlotte got lucky that we have Brendan Plavich on our team.

[i]Originally posted by amnesiac[/i]@Dec 22 2004, 10:49 PM [b] They are also saying that IU's last bucket was an offensive goal tend and maybe should not of counted, I did not notice that one. [/b]
Listened to the online broadcast and the announcer was all over that tip in. Couldn't believe it wasn't waved off.

As for the game, it’s a W and hopefully a momentum builder.

Actually, there is going to be a delay no matter what. The official signals the start of the clock and the clock operator is keyed on that not the touch of the ball. So you have a chain reaction of touch of ball, signal of ref, starting of clock. You probably get a half second or so right there. I guess being score keep and clock operator at those Y games paid off after all :wacko: . Also, sometimes the refs can be lax in giving the clock start signal…

-Mac