Jarvis Lang

[SIZE=3]Wikipedia page:

[SIZE=2]presently nonexistent.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][SIZE=3]
Basketpedya page (which has us listed incorrectly):[/SIZE]

[URL]http://www.basketpedya.com/Acc002InfJug.php?idjug=7654[/URL]

[SIZE=3]Career Statistics:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]1991: 28 games, 195 field goals made, 154 free throws made, 548 points, average of 19.6 per game

1992: 2[/SIZE][SIZE=2] games, 7 field goals made, 6 free throws made, 20 points, average of 10.0 per game[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]1993: 27 games, 122 field goals made, 125 free throws made, 369 points, average of 13.7 game[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]1994: 28 games, 167 field goals made, 125 free throws made, 459 points, average of 16.4 per game[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]1995: 28 games, 156 field goals made, 128 free throws made, 459 points, average of 16.4 per game

Totals: [/SIZE][SIZE=2]113 games, 647 field goals made, 538 free throws made, 1855 points, average of 16.4 per game

[/SIZE][SIZE=3]Records (Career):[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Total points: 1,855 (5th place)

Dunks: 162 (1st place)

FTs Made: 538 (1st place)

FTs Attempted: 752 (1st Place)
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Records (Single Season):[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Dunks: 54 (1st place)

[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]- Freshman -

[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Rebounds: 298 (1st place, [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Led nation’s Freshmen)
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Scoring Average: 19.6 (1st place)

Rebounding Average: 10.6 (1st place)

[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Free Throws Made: 154 (1st place)

Free Throw Attempts: 216 (1st place)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Honors:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]1990-1991:
Metro Conference Freshman of the Year
Metro All Freshman Team
1st Team A-A Freshmen (ESPN)
2nd Team A-A Freshmen (UPI; Sport)

1992-93:
Metro Second Team All-League

1993-94:
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Metro First Team All-League
Metro All-Tournament Team
All-District
HM A-A (AP; The Sporting News; B. Weekly; B. Times)

[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]1994-95:
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Metro Conference Player of the Year
Metro First Team All-League
All-District
HM A-A (AP; The Sporting News; B. Weekly; B. Times)

[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Jersey Number 23 retired

[/SIZE][SIZE=2][B]If you have any information about Dinkins’ career or playing style (as well as any personal stories), please share them. If you have any relevant pictures, please use this Photobucket account (username: Niners4901, password: 40niners) to post them in the thread. If you have any relevant video (or audio), PM TheNinerAlchemist, and I will include them. [/B][/SIZE]

Blurb on him from an SI article:

[b]The Unknown Freshman [/b]

Take a poll to determine the nation’s best freshman and Damon Bailey of Indiana, Shawn Bradley of BYU, Jamal Mashburn of Kentucky and Rodney Rogers of Wake Forest would all draw quite a few votes. Jarvis Lang of North Carolina-Charlotte wouldn’t. He should.

Lang, a 6’6" forward from Farmville, N.C., is the leading freshman scorer (19.6 points a game) and rebounder (10.6) in the country. The 14-14 49ers have finished their season, so if no one catches Lang—and no one is close—he will join Oklahoma’s Wayman Tisdale (1982-83) and Jeff Ruland of Iona ('77-78) as the only players to lead the country’s freshmen in both categories. And Lang hasn’t put those stats together just against patsies. He had 30 points and 12 rebounds against Duke, 22 and 10 against Syracuse and 20 and 13 against East Tennessee State.

If Lang has escaped your notice, you’re not alone. “I was kind of a late bloomer,” he says. “I got cut from my middle school team, and I was only 6’1” when I started high school. I got a few letters from some bigger schools like Duke, but none of them made me feel like they were really that interested."

They did become interested when Lang, a remarkable leaper, blossomed in his senior season, but by then he had committed to the 49ers. “I don’t regret coming to Charlotte,” he says, “but when we play some of those big schools, I feel like I owe them a little something.”

The competition Lang now faces can’t be any more intimidating than what he encountered while growing up as the ninth of 13 children. He played against his older siblings, including sister Lisa, who was a women’s junior college All-America at Louisburg (N.C.) College last season and is now a starting forward for 11th-ranked Western Kentucky. “She used to push me around on the court,” says Lang. “She told a reporter earlier this season that I’m still a wimp. I think she was only kidding.”

He must have thought that the Sun Belt Conference also was only joking when it named forward Kendrick Warren of Virginia Commonwealth as its Freshman of the Year, even though Warren averaged only 15.7 points and 8.5 rebounds. Warren had a fine season, but there has been speculation that Lang was passed over because North Carolina-Charlotte is planning to leave the Sun Belt for the Metro Conference next season. Whatever the reason, it wasn’t the first time Lang got overlooked.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1118961/2/index.htm