Jerry Richardson Stadium naming rights agreement

Iā€™m not a lawyer, so this is all blah blah blah to me, but there appears to be a rule against perpetuities in NC law in some cases. Maybe it applies to this?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://scholarship.law.unc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D3675%26context%3Dnclr&ved=2ahUKEwjSzfie0KncAhUhiOAKHYAEBJMQFjACegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2nEjb9HA1GHFcaYTc2ZYR1

FYI:

WBTV piece on this:

clt says issue is resolved,

How about we give this a rest. Maybe we can eventually change the name after the final installment in 2022 and Jerry passes away. His family may not even care 10 or 15 years from now.

I like where your head is at, but the Rule Against Perpetuities has to do with lineal transfers of property, not naming rights. Iā€™d explain further, but for everyoneā€™s sake, weā€™ll leave it at that. Itā€™s the #1 most convoluted topic you learn in your first year of law school and most lawyers donā€™t even understand it unless they practice estate planning.

Do they release any transcripts of the investigation?

What investigation?

Blockquote

The NFLā€™s investigation of Richardson.

Ah, I highly doubt that.

Iā€™m just curious ā€œexactlyā€ what he was found guilty of. We know there were accusations of sexual harassment. But in regards to the notes referenced in the accusations, was the accuser corresponding back and forth with him?

All we know for sure is that he bought them out and they had to sign NDAā€™s. The NFL substantiated the claims, hence the large fine.

Didnā€™t the SI articles cover this fairly completely? I suggest you check those out.

I believe the SI article had the accusers accusations and letters written to her. But I donā€™t think weā€™ve heard anything from Richardsonā€™s side.

Ie. Did he write notes without ever getting a response? Or was there an open dialogue?

Richardson has declined to address the allegations. Thatā€™s the lone barrier to getting your answers. I know you know that, but without his cooperation itā€™s a pretty easy conviction in the eyes of public opinion.

I suspect Richardsonā€™s position is: ā€œIā€™m old, I am a billionaire, and you can all go to hell!ā€ It will not surprise me if he sues the SI source for breaking her NDA. He can twist her up in court for a while and make her use the hush money she took on lawyers. Donā€™t mess with a guy who quit the NFL because he wanted $250 more per season, and then turned a $3000 investment into a billion dollar fortune. What the Big Cat did was inappropriate, but if they donā€™t let him fade quietly into the sunset I think people are going find out how tough he can be.

1 Like

IIRC (it has been a month since Iā€™ve read the article) the SI sourceā€™s justification for speaking was Richardson invalidated his half of the NDA via a conversation shared by Robert McNair of the Houston Texans.

That sounds correct.

Yes. What NLP said was the reasoning.

Sort of. As I understand it the NFL looked into this, but is not talking. McNair implied that Richardson shared his side of the story with the owners, but the NFL is not confirming that. The ā€œvictimā€ (and I believe her story) is taking that implication as her release from the NDA. If this goes to court in a civil case, Richardsonā€™s attorneys will have no problem proving what she did, but herā€™s may have a bear of a time trying to prove what he did. Besides, did the NDA prohibit him from talking about this? I have signed several NDAs in my career and they were all completely one-sided. I canā€™t imagine why he would create an NDA and pay her to sign it, but it bound him to anything. We donā€™t have enough facts to know any of this, and I am no attorney, but even if a civil case ended in a tie this lady could lose everything she has. I am saying she may have the tiger by the tailā€¦and now what?