Jewish student told to "Burn in an oven"

http://www.algemeiner.com/2014/09/09/jewish-student-at-unc-charlotte-told-to-%E2%80%98burn-in-an-oven%E2%80%99/

JNS.org – A Jewish student from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNC Charlotte) was recently told “to go burn in an oven.”
On Sept. 4 in the school’s Student Union, a female student walking with a group of girls “looked at me with a straight face and said to ‘go burn in an oven,’” Neili Eggert told TruthRevolt.
“I didn’t know what to do or say to her, I was in complete shock… She walked away with the other girls laughing,” Eggert said.
Following the incident, Eggert has been fearful of walking around on campus. She reported the incident to the director of UNC Charlotte’s Multicultural Resource Center, the head of the school’s Religious & Spiritual Life Office, and the dean of students.
“I feel like I am being attacked because I wear my Star of David out in public, I wear shirts with the word Israel on it or shirts with Hebrew lettering, I have Israel stickers on my laptop, and I wear a hat with an Israeli flag on it,” Eggert said.
Previously, Eggert said she was “spit at by three male Muslim students on the second day of classes” on Aug. 19, in addition to other incidents.
“I have been called a terrorist, baby killer, woman killer, [told that] I use blood to make matzah and other foods, Christ killer, occupier, and much more,” she said.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:1, topic:29009”]http://www.algemeiner.com/2014/09/09/jewish-student-at-unc-charlotte-told-to-%E2%80%98burn-in-an-oven%E2%80%99/

JNS.org – A Jewish student from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNC Charlotte) was recently told “to go burn in an oven.”
On Sept. 4 in the school’s Student Union, a female student walking with a group of girls “looked at me with a straight face and said to ‘go burn in an oven,’” Neili Eggert told TruthRevolt.
“I didn’t know what to do or say to her, I was in complete shock… She walked away with the other girls laughing,” Eggert said.
Following the incident, Eggert has been fearful of walking around on campus. She reported the incident to the director of UNC Charlotte’s Multicultural Resource Center, the head of the school’s Religious & Spiritual Life Office, and the dean of students.
“I feel like I am being attacked because I wear my Star of David out in public, I wear shirts with the word Israel on it or shirts with Hebrew lettering, I have Israel stickers on my laptop, and I wear a hat with an Israeli flag on it,” Eggert said.
Previously, Eggert said she was “spit at by three male Muslim students on the second day of classes” on Aug. 19, in addition to other incidents.
“I have been called a terrorist, baby killer, woman killer, [told that] I use blood to make matzah and other foods, Christ killer, occupier, and much more,” she said.[/quote]
I was in school when Iran held 52 Americans hostage for 444 days. There was heated rhetoric and confrontations–much of it started by the media that was on campus every day. While I believe in free speech I also endorse civility. I don’t know that Eggert’s version of the story is correct, but assuming so: I think the mean girls have a right to say nasty things to Eggert, but I bet they aren’t smart enough to really even understand the issues. As for the Muslim students, somebody should have kicked their asses. Not because they were Muslim, but because they are stupid and attacked that girl. UNC Charlotte has a very diverse student body and the racists and intolerant ass-clowns chose the wrong school. They need to transfer.

Is this a common thing Jewish people have to deal with around here? I honestly dont know. I’ve literally never heard what i would consider a slur directed at a Jewish person and never known one to speak out about it. For this person to have experienced so many incidents in such a short amount of time seems really odd.

Per the article, she has a lot of Pro-Isreal stuff on her person. That probably let’s those that want to abuse a Jew or Pro-Isreali that she’s their target. Bulls rush to a red cape kind of thing, certainly not a justification for their actions though.

I recommend she report these attacks to the campus police with as accurate of a description of the alleged perpetrators as possible.

What is algemeiner and why is it the source of the article and not the Observer or UTimes?

[quote=“NLP49, post:5, topic:29009”]I recommend she report these attacks to the campus police with as accurate of a description of the alleged perpetrators as possible.

What is algemeiner and why is it the source of the article and not the Observer or UTimes?[/quote]
Just take a cell phone photo of the perpetrators. Shouldn’t be too difficult.

See what happens when you kiss Hamas’ a55!

the first half of August was probably the most divisive time in Arab/Jewish relations that I’ve seen in my lifetime. Search anything on Facebook that has to do with Gaza and you’ll see the extent of it in the comments. Both sides are saying pretty terrible things.

Just a heads-up. This thread is going to have a very short existence if it devolves to Israel vs. Palestine.

per a post in her facebook it says…

[font=helvetica][size=14px]At the UNCC police department, they told her she should stop wearing any Jewish symbols.[/size][/font]

[font=helvetica][size=14px]That would be disturbing if true. But its also of note that almost every day she seems to have a post claiming to be a victim of some sort of antisemitism. Weird story all the way around[/size][/font]

Damn UNCC PD are Hamas sellouts? WTF?

Very sad that anti-Semitism is happening on college campuses across America. Even sadder it happened at Charlotte.

While I agree totally, I would say that some form of racism rears its head on every college campus in the US every day. Sad? Yes. Surprising? No.

And, while its still inexcusable and terrible, its probably better now than at anytime in our history.

Per the article, she has a lot of Pro-Isreal stuff on her person. That probably let’s those that want to abuse a Jew or Pro-Isreali that she’s their target. Bulls rush to a red cape kind of thing, certainly not a justification for their actions though.[/quote]

this

Per the article, she has a lot of Pro-Isreal stuff on her person. That probably let’s those that want to abuse a Jew or Pro-Isreali that she’s their target. Bulls rush to a red cape kind of thing, certainly not a justification for their actions though.[/quote]

this[/quote]

no! no! no! absolutely no excuse!!! the same as blaming the rape victim b/c she had on a skirt that revealed her knees.
this young lady might want to reconsider her insignias, but she has every right to them and she should never have to fear her allegiances on our campus.
PERIOD.

Why should she not have to fear criticism her allegiances?

It’s wrong to dislike people based on their race (i.e. making comments about jewish people and ovens); however, disliking people based on their organizational affiliations (pro-Israel) is reasonable, in my opinion. You have a choice on the latter, but not the former.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:1, topic:29009”]http://www.algemeiner.com/2014/09/09/jewish-student-at-unc-charlotte-told-to-%E2%80%98burn-in-an-oven%E2%80%99/

“I have been called a terrorist, baby killer, woman killer, [told that] I use blood to make matzah and other foods, Christ killer, occupier, and much more,” she said.[/quote]

I think this is likely just a misunderstanding and the girl just overheard the other girl talking about her experience at Saturdays Football Game.

[quote=“eason49, post:16, topic:29009”]Why should she not have to fear criticism her allegiances?

It’s wrong to dislike people based on their race (i.e. making comments about jewish people and ovens); however, disliking people based on their organizational affiliations (pro-Israel) is reasonable, in my opinion. You have a choice on the latter, but not the former.[/quote] “Burn in an oven” is not an appropriate remark. Period. End of discussion . Since when does one not get
to choose his own religion AND his own allegiances without being verbally assaulted by some random stranger? You can dislike something without making comment. Try it some time.

BTW, we don’t chose our race. We do chose our religion. Choosing to be Jewish has nothing to do with race.( RIP, Sammy Davis, jr.)

[quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:17, topic:29009”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:1, topic:29009”]http://www.algemeiner.com/2014/09/09/jewish-student-at-unc-charlotte-told-to-%E2%80%98burn-in-an-oven%E2%80%99/

I think this is likely just a misunderstanding and the girl just overheard the other girl talking about her experience at Saturdays Football Game.[/quote] ;D ;D ;D

[quote=“4ever niner, post:18, topic:29009”][quote=“eason49, post:16, topic:29009”]Why should she not have to fear criticism her allegiances?

It’s wrong to dislike people based on their race (i.e. making comments about jewish people and ovens); however, disliking people based on their organizational affiliations (pro-Israel) is reasonable, in my opinion. You have a choice on the latter, but not the former.[/quote] “Burn in an oven” is not an appropriate remark. Period. End of discussion.BTW, being Jewish has nothing to do with race. (Sammy Davis RIP) . Since when does one not get
to choose his own religion and his own allegiances without being verbally assaulted by some random stranger? You can dislike without making comment. Try it some time.[/quote]
I specifically said that the ovens remark was inappropriate. Israel is not a religion nor is it a race. It is an organization/nation that does things many would disagree with. If people want to criticize her for associating with Israel, that is fair game. Similar to criticizing someone if they sided with Russia in the Ukranian conflict.

I’m not going to turn this into an Israel vs. Palestine discussion, but I think it’s important to note that criticizing someone for supporting Israel should be fair game. Just like criticizing the US or Germany or Japan or China should be fair game. It should be important to distinguish between Jewish people as a race or religion and Israel as a nation/organization.

That said, it is important to critique with respect and class. Obviously, if someone made a “burn in ovens” comment, they clearly did not that and that is reprehensible.