JMU Game 11/16

Robb had an awesome hustle play.

Kotie Kimble did the pregame Chalk Talk tonight, and he was very good. This seems to be a tough assignment for most assistants, but he came in with something to say, and said it well. He is my player of the game.

Davis has 9 assist in 3 games. Flat out isnā€™t going to cut it.

I hear what youā€™re saying, but itā€™s important to remember that assist numbers require the other player to hit the shot. Davis can kick for a wide open look, but if the guy misses, he doesnā€™t get an assist. We missed a lot of shots.

too many mistakes yesterday. like sanchez pointed out in his post game comments, there is going to be a lot of stuff to look at during the film study. missing wide open shots, giving up too many uncontested layups, contuining to fall behind and having to claw back, guys being too hesistant to shoot and too much standing around on offense. the difference is now i actually believe sanchez will fix these issues, unlike our previous two coaches. this season will have a lot of ups and downs, this was one of the downs.

Martin and Mangum looked like Freshmen last night.

Supica over Haslem please. Supica needs more post touches.

Robb and Supica were really good tonight. I was critical of both after Chattanooga, but man if they play like that we will be fine. Robb is starting to get comfortable. Supica has all the pieces. If we can get Supica playing the 4 he will be a matchup nightmare.

Younger played well tonight as well.

Iā€™m just trying to be positive. I know we arenā€™t going to win much this year, but the program is in a good place. Halton has some life again last night. Jon was doubled off every screen and we struggled with that early.

Mike Hill is changing the culture and itā€™s beautiful to watch.

i donā€™t totally agree with your point about robb. he allowed his man to blow by him on a few occasions that lead to fouls or easy buckets. he did play decent overall but we need to do a better job of stopping dribble penetration and we need one of the freshmen to be more aggressive to take pressure off davis.

It feels like Supica played much better than Haslem, but Haslem was the highest efficiency player we had last night followed by Supica and then Davis. Haslem had 1 less point, 1 less TO, and 3 more rebounds in only 1 more minute of play than Supica.

Iā€™ve been really impressed by Haslem. Heā€™s clearly in better shape than heā€™s ever been. I wish some of the guys had stuck around.

Worth noting: McGill seemed to get less minutes last night.

It went from 23 to 15 to 6. That is a rapid fall for McGill. It appears the extra minutes are going to Robb and Younger.

My random observations:

• Robb is an absolute pain in the ass desensivelyā€¦ has a nice combo of hustle, grit and irritant. Before the season is out he will goad an opponent into a T.
  • Milos played really well, aggressive and confident with the ball. Need much more of that.
  • I though Haslem actually played a solid game. Hustled all night long. Heā€™s never going to be able to put it on the floor without a TOā€¦ but he did have a couple of nice catch and shoot hoops. If he plays like that the rest of the year I will be happy.
  • Mangum and Martin were not good. 0-14 = turrrrible
    -3 point shooting in the 1st half was atrocious.
  • Davis had a weird game, 0 points at the 10 minute mark. Not generating points via the assist (although if Martin, Mangum, and Robb could hit an open jumper heā€™d have had 10 assists last night.

This season is going to be hard to watch the nights we canā€™t score. The hustle is promising and it will get betterā€¦ it there are going to be more turdburgers before this season is done.

All the freshmen seem to have high ceilings, Mangum/Younger especially, but they played like freshmen in their 3rd college basketball game last night.

We know what Ronā€™s focus is on defenseā€¦but for the life of me I canā€™t figure what his offensive strategy is.
Not sure the players have it figured out eitherā€¦looks completely out of sorts.
I will say one thing about Sanchez, he doesnā€™t bitch at the referees a lot during the gameā€¦but when theyā€™re wrong,
he certainly gets his point across to them ! Sternly !

i agree with this post, ninerj. i think the guys are struggling to pick up the offensive scheme. i imagine there is a steep learning curve. we seem to play better on offense when we speed up a bit. i think the guys feel like they have to play slow but are confusing playing slow with holding the ball until the end of the shot clock. i like how sanchez works the refs, subtly. a lot of game film and things to fix from jmu game. defense took a step back.