Joe Dooley (Kansas AC)

I didn’t see a thread for him, but his name keeps popping up.

Former head coach at ECU, reportedly was offered the ECU job a fews ago and turned it down. He is still young (44), he got the ECU job the first time at a ridiculously young age.

The more I consider it, the more I like him. He was OK at ECU (compared to what the other ECU coaches have done), and that was 10+ years ago. And, of course, nobody wins at ECU…

I think the HC experience is pretty valuable, and his recruiting ties have grown exponentially since then.

I’m all for Dooley getting this job. He’s a big time recruiter.

info:

http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/dooley_joe00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dooley_%28basketball%29

I hate seeing things like this… he’s a big time recruiter to Kansas, one of the top 5 programs in the country! Will this translate to Charlotte nobody knows.

I wanted to point this out as well. I’m pretty sure anyone with life left in their body could get better recruits to Kansas than the best recruiter could at a mid major program.

I hate seeing things like this… he’s a big time recruiter to Kansas, one of the top 5 programs in the country! Will this translate to Charlotte nobody knows.[/quote]

Connections are connections and Dooley has them. Like I’ve said before, it’s not all gravy recruiting to Kansas. Recruiting is about talent evaluation as well. It isn’t like all of Kansas’s recruits are all top 15 guys. In fact the last recent top 15 guy they’ve got is Henry, most of their guys come from 15-40 rated players.

Also, the higher rated a guy is, the more intense the battle is going to be to get him. You can’t use facilities, tradition, and conference against teams who’ve got you matched in that area.

Dooley has been rated among the nation’s elite recruiters each of the last four seasons, including No. 6 by Foxsports.com in spring 2008. Since his arrival at KU, seven Jayhawks have been drafted in the NBA, including a record-tying five in the 2008 draft. In 2007, he was rated the fourth-best recruiter in the nation by Rivals.com for the class that included McDonald’s All-American Cole Aldrich and Tyrel Reed. He also brought in KU NBA draftees Sasha Kaun and Mario Chalmers as well.

http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/dooley_joe00.html

[quote=“mtanner, post:7, topic:22875”]Dooley has been rated among the nation’s elite recruiters each of the last four seasons, including No. 6 by Foxsports.com in spring 2008. Since his arrival at KU, seven Jayhawks have been drafted in the NBA, including a record-tying five in the 2008 draft. In 2007, he was rated the fourth-best recruiter in the nation by Rivals.com for the class that included McDonald’s All-American Cole Aldrich and Tyrel Reed. He also brought in KU NBA draftees Sasha Kaun and Mario Chalmers as well.

http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/dooley_joe00.html[/quote]

Yeah at KANSAS… there is no real way to compare recruiting at two different schools so I’ll stop the debate… just hope we get a guy that can get some decent players and knows what to do with them also.

[quote=“EE9er, post:8, topic:22875”][quote=“mtanner, post:7, topic:22875”]Dooley has been rated among the nation’s elite recruiters each of the last four seasons, including No. 6 by Foxsports.com in spring 2008. Since his arrival at KU, seven Jayhawks have been drafted in the NBA, including a record-tying five in the 2008 draft. In 2007, he was rated the fourth-best recruiter in the nation by Rivals.com for the class that included McDonald’s All-American Cole Aldrich and Tyrel Reed. He also brought in KU NBA draftees Sasha Kaun and Mario Chalmers as well.

Yeah at KANSAS… there is no real way to compare recruiting at two different schools so I’ll stop the debate… just hope we get a guy that can get some decent players and knows what to do with them also.[/quote]

So what is the difference of any high level assistant? Any of their programs would recruit themselves wouldn’t they?

I posted an article about a week ago, but I can’t seem to find it. The basis of it was how Dooley was responsible for opening back up the recruiting connection between the northeast and Kansas, which didn’t exist under Roy Williams. Most of the kids talked to in the article had no desire to go out in the middle of nowhere. (The Morris twins, Tyshawn Taylor, and Quintrell Thomas.)

Here is another article I found about him. Talks some about his Head Coaching experience at ECU, got the job when he was 29 and the first coach in 50 years to coach ECU to a over .500 record.

I do think the previous head coaching experience is what sets him apart from the other assistant coach candidates.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:9, topic:22875”][quote=“EE9er, post:8, topic:22875”][quote=“mtanner, post:7, topic:22875”]Dooley has been rated among the nation’s elite recruiters each of the last four seasons, including No. 6 by Foxsports.com in spring 2008. Since his arrival at KU, seven Jayhawks have been drafted in the NBA, including a record-tying five in the 2008 draft. In 2007, he was rated the fourth-best recruiter in the nation by Rivals.com for the class that included McDonald’s All-American Cole Aldrich and Tyrel Reed. He also brought in KU NBA draftees Sasha Kaun and Mario Chalmers as well.

Yeah at KANSAS… there is no real way to compare recruiting at two different schools so I’ll stop the debate… just hope we get a guy that can get some decent players and knows what to do with them also.[/quote]

So what is the difference of any high level assistant? Any of their programs would recruit themselves wouldn’t they?

I posted an article about a week ago, but I can’t seem to find it. The basis of it was how Dooley was responsible for opening back up the recruiting connection between the northeast and Kansas, which didn’t exist under Roy Williams. Most of the kids talked to in the article had no desire to go out in the middle of nowhere. (The Morris twins, Tyshawn Taylor, and Quintrell Thomas.)

Here is another article I found about him. Talks some about his Head Coaching experience at ECU, got the job when he was 29 and the first coach in 50 years to coach ECU to a over .500 record.

I do think the previous head coaching experience is what sets him apart from the other assistant coach candidates.[/quote]

From everything I’ve read on him, professionally, he seems like a good recruiter, and it is a bit annoying when people try to use ECU against him. It’s freaking ECU, if you can get over .500 there, you’ve done something. How he wasn’t a pariah on that campus is beyond me for doing that there.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:10, topic:22875”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:9, topic:22875”][quote=“EE9er, post:8, topic:22875”][quote=“mtanner, post:7, topic:22875”]Dooley has been rated among the nation’s elite recruiters each of the last four seasons, including No. 6 by Foxsports.com in spring 2008. Since his arrival at KU, seven Jayhawks have been drafted in the NBA, including a record-tying five in the 2008 draft. In 2007, he was rated the fourth-best recruiter in the nation by Rivals.com for the class that included McDonald’s All-American Cole Aldrich and Tyrel Reed. He also brought in KU NBA draftees Sasha Kaun and Mario Chalmers as well.

I do think the previous head coaching experience is what sets him apart from the other assistant coach candidates.[/quote]

From everything I’ve read on him, professionally, he seems like a good recruiter, and it is a bit annoying when people try to use ECU against him. It’s freaking ECU, if you can get over .500 there, you’ve done something. How he wasn’t a pariah on that campus is beyond me for doing that there.[/quote]

My bad, forgot the link…

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/may/11/righthand_man/

If Dooley is hired, it will be interesting to see how our budding rivalry with GWash plays out.

That’s a fair question and I don’t think there is a good answer, I guess you have to give Dooley extra marks because he made ECU respectable. I just hope whoever we get teachs D and actually gets the players we have to listen. I’m sick of watching the other team get wide open shots when we need our 3 point shooter to shoot 75 percent to win a game.

If we hire an assistant and I believe we will, it should be Kelsey. He wins hands down over Dooley in all aspects.

How so?

I didn’t realize this before, but he is another guy with connections to Dubois, he spent a year at Wyoming before going to Kansas.

I think he stacks up to Kelsey pretty well, he is young but does have HC experience. The big plus for Kelsey IMO is his A10 ties. I would be happy with either is we go the assistant route.

and he is snatching top 150 recruits out of NC :slight_smile:

Ditto

I know we all know this, but this board has its favorites. Even if we get the guy we want there is always a big risk with these guys, they could end up being horrible here. There is no way to tell that one is definitely better than the other, especially given that we have no idea what their assistant coaching staff may look like, which will be a BIG part of their success or failure.

well put, only time will tell.