JT Thompson - VA Tech transfer

[quote=“J Felt, post:45, topic:26658”]When it comes to JTT, I really hope we land him.

It’s the same thing as leaving a schollie open to recruit for 2013, except we get the added benefit of experience in the post.

Also, he gets to play near his family and be with his daughter. Win-win for everyone.

Unless he’s a problem in the locker room, I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t support this.[/quote]
If we were just going to let the schollie sit, sure I’d want JTT over nothing. But our biggest hole is still at SG. We have no one who is a reliable shooter. Surely there is a JUCO shooter we could get.

The thing is, we have Braz. Who do we have who can give us an outside threat? JTT would be a great sub for Braz, but that doesn’t come before our need for good outside shooting.

If we had one reliable outside shooter, I’d think JTT would be a great pick up for us.

[quote=“49or bust, post:49, topic:26658”][quote=“J Felt, post:45, topic:26658”]When it comes to JTT, I really hope we land him.

It’s the same thing as leaving a schollie open to recruit for 2013, except we get the added benefit of experience in the post.

Also, he gets to play near his family and be with his daughter. Win-win for everyone.

Unless he’s a problem in the locker room, I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t support this.[/quote]
If we were just going to let the schollie sit, sure I’d want JTT over nothing. But our biggest hole is still at SG. We have no one who is a reliable shooter. Surely there is a JUCO shooter we could get.

The thing is, we have Braz. Who do we have who can give us an outside threat? JTT would be a great sub for Braz, but that doesn’t come before our need for good outside shooting.

If we had one reliable outside shooter, I’d think JTT would be a great pick up for us.[/quote]We’ve signed three guards now for next season. We also have another in TWill.

I say we take our chances with Lester, Ingram, and Benkovic. If one of those guys can’t hit open threes, then we’re just going to be a piss poor three point shooting team again next year. Signing too many players at one position is just throwing scholarships away.

[quote=“Niner National, post:50, topic:26658”]We’ve signed three guards now for next season. We also have another in TWill.

I say we take our chances with Lester, Ingram, and Benkovic. If one of those guys can’t hit open threes, then we’re just going to be a piss poor three point shooting team again next year. Signing too many players at one position is just throwing scholarships away.[/quote]
TWill plays more like a SF than a SG.

But we aren’t just talking about guards - we need a SG. Ingram is a PG.

So we have Lester and Benkovic. Having 3 SGs, one who has either 1-2 years remaining, isn’t bad.

Furthermore, we lose nothing in the front court from last year. Nothing. We never had a reliable shooter last year and that is all that separated us from being decent-good. If SG is the answer, I’d rather take more shots at getting a good one than getting a sub for our star PF.

We have a glut of wing players and guards. JTT would be a much better pick up than another guard.

Seriously…Henry, Williams, Mayfield, Lester, Ingram, Nickerson, Benkovic vs Thorne, Clark, Clayton, Braswell, Ivankovic.

We could use another post player.

I agree. We could use a transfer post or a JUCO post. We need a post player that can contribute (preferably start) immediately

Who is fuckwit?

[quote=“Powerbait, post:52, topic:26658”]We have a glut of wing players and guards. JTT would be a much better pick up than another guard.

Seriously…Henry, Williams, Mayfield, Lester, Ingram, Nickerson, Benkovic vs Thorne, Clark, Clayton, Braswell, Ivankovic.

We could use another post player.[/quote]
But that is based on a 3:2 ratio and we have 7:5 presently. So we are actually deeper in the front court than the back court.

Well, we have 4 wing players that played significant minutes last year and 1 front court player.

So, we need more experience in the front court.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:56, topic:26658”]Well, we have 4 wing players that played significant minutes last year and 1 front court player.
So, we need more experience in the front court.[/quote]

Plus, JuCos typically can’t be relied upon as your secondary scoring threat. If there were a stud shooting guard juco that shot lights out AND played good defense we’d already be after him or he’s already signed elsewhere.

JuCos can usually be depended on for reliable rebounding and defense in the post though. Ala KenKay Jones!!!

Or Ricardo Ratliff, Bernard James, and Jae Crowder (who wasn’t a top 10 juco) just to name a few

Unless this kid was a locker room cancer (which it doesnt sound like he is at all), then there is no reason for debate here. We have a free scholarship for next year that we’re not going to be able to use on anyone better, and we need more frontcourt depth and more upperclassmen leadership.

There’s no real risk here. At worst, we’re “stuck” with another injured player for one season, using a scholarship we’d otherwise pocket, but will be freed up for the following season anyway.

At best, he brings several years of D1 experience, a solid work ethic and senior leadership to a team that is loaded with underclassmen.

Come to Charlotte JT!

No doubt. Bust is arguing we should our last schollie to grab a JuCo SG, which I disagree with.

I’d take JTT over a JUCO big since it leaves the 2013 schollie open. Plus, JTT has plenty of D1 experience against good teams.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:56, topic:26658”]Well, we have 4 wing players that played significant minutes last year and 1 front court player.
So, we need more experience in the front court.[/quote]
Fair enough.

I don’t want the JUCO as our secondary scoring threat. We just need some real threat from outside to be there so they don’t just pile inside. I want someone we can count on outside, and can play decent D - but yea, we would probably already be after him. I don’t really know what the JUCO pool is usually like, but I’d think there’d be SOMEBODY out there that can fill this role.

Go JTT!!! :smiley: Charlotte’s the place to be!

I’m not gonna say he’s gonna have other people wetting themselves, but he is an upgrade over KJ.

Hopefully he’s not the same as KJ. A guy who had talent but is no longer effective due to knee problems.

you could add this to your prayer-list, LAN. :stuck_out_tongue:

According to Thompson, he is supposed to visit Charlotte soon.

Sounds good, just need him to be able to get that extra year of eligibility.