Kalif Phillips signed by Packers

@ChristianTKranz
Congrats to @Charlotte49erFB alum Kalif Phillips on signing with the @packers! #GoPackGo

Awesome.

I think he has NFL size and talent personally. I hope he finds his way onto a final roster, or at least a practice squad.

Definitely a need for Green Bay they drafted 3 backs late so it will be a fight to make the roster. Hopefully he is able to stay healthy in camp and show the team what he is capable of.

Duke and Phillips are our first two players to sign as undrafted free agents, correct? I know we had at least one player make it to camp last year but don’t remember anyone signing with a team.

Banks signed with Redskins yesterday.

Jamal Covington to the Chiefs

Dez Cooper signed with the Jags as an UDFA, but was cut after the second preseason game.

This probably helps KP a little.

Packers release two running backs

[size=30px][/size]

I never understood how Dez Cooper got an invite. He was a nice guy, but there was much to be desired in his play against average competition.

Meanwhile, Phillips was an impact player from start to finish when healthy. 183 yds at Southern Miss with a long of 72. 114 yds at Temple with a long of 66TD. Over 100yds total vs Old Dominion with a 42 yd TD catch. 132 Yds at FAU. 123yds at Marshall. In 2015, 204yds vODU, 125vTemples good defense. 6.3 yds per carry in 2014 and 5.6 ypc in 2013 without being featured. Of all the free agents signed, #3 has the best shot at a real NFL contract when needed from the practice squad. He might surprise beyond that if he can play special teams. That is one area he has never been asked to do. I can imagine that #3 running downhill on a kickoff could result in some devastating, high-impact impact tackles.

Will never forget him de-cleating that guy in IIRC our first spring game. I learned his name really quick after that.

I bet its somewhere in this footage.

My memory was that it happened inside the 20 on a strong side play near the field house end zone.

Dez was a local Jacksonville area kid that got an invite to the Jags Rookie Mini-camp. IIRC they had an injury or 2 in their secondary and he made the most of his opportunity and got signed to the training camp roster.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:10, topic:30934”]Will never forget him de-cleating that guy in IIRC our first spring game. I learned his name really quick after that.

I bet its somewhere in this footage.

My memory was that it happened inside the 20 on a strong side play near the field house end zone.[/quote]

You called it! Starting at the 14:55 mark on the 20 yard line. Lays.him.out.

[quote=“MeanJoeGreen, post:9, topic:30934”]I never understood how Dez Cooper got an invite. He was a nice guy, but there was much to be desired in his play against average competition.

Meanwhile, Phillips was an impact player from start to finish when healthy. 183 yds at Southern Miss with a long of 72. 114 yds at Temple with a long of 66TD. Over 100yds total vs Old Dominion with a 42 yd TD catch. 132 Yds at FAU. 123yds at Marshall. In 2015, 204yds vODU, 125vTemples good defense. 6.3 yds per carry in 2014 and 5.6 ypc in 2013 without being featured. Of all the free agents signed, #3 has the best shot at a real NFL contract when needed from the practice squad. He might surprise beyond that if he can play special teams. That is one area he has never been asked to do. I can imagine that #3 running downhill on a kickoff could result in some devastating, high-impact impact tackles.[/quote]

The only knock on his is the dreaded…“Injury prone” moniker.

He literally dealt with an injury every year. His punishing running style literally punished him in college…and in the NFL, that will only get worse.

If he could stay healthy, there’s no telling how far he could go.
But can he stay healthy…with his style of running…against the biggest and the strongest the NFL has to offer???

No doubt he needs to get in better conditioning, but most of those yards he got for us were after contact. If his number is ever called against the best, he will now have a superior offensive line, an elite quarterback and finally, a good play-caller.

clt says this gonna work. KP always wears green.

I think the Packers got a ‘diamond in the rough’ with KP - he will do well with their OL

Couple of days old

Kalif is the guy (besides Larry) who I think can make a roster. When he wasn’t hurt, he looked the most like a next level player on our roster including Larry. He probably played 5 games at Charlotte with a competent offensive line.

After watching the film it looked like Phillips did pretty well in the short amount of time he was in there. Each time he touched the ball the 1st man didn’t get him down. He needs more film time because that is where he will show his ability to break tackles.

Looks like he got released.