Kansas State pregame discussion

[quote=“Iron9er, post:20, topic:28404”][quote=“Nineradvocate, post:2, topic:28404”]They do not have a great deal of height, but they are not a small team.

DJ Johnson is their #2 scorer (10 ppg 5.7 rbg) and he goes 6’9 250 lbs. That’s bigger than anyone we have but Thorne.

Marquis Foster is their top scorer this season (16.7 ppg). He is 6’2 200. He is also their 3 pt ace (42.1% on about 6.3 attempts per game)

F Shane Southwell plays a lot, and he goes 6’7, 215 (9.3 ppg / 5 rpg), as does Will Spradling 6’2 185 (8.7 ppg 4.7 rpg).

Their 5th starter is usually Wesley Iwundu. He is a 6’7 195 F (6.3, 4.7). They do some committee starting and he plays a lot fewer minutes (20 mpg) than the other 4, who are all basically 30 mpg playes. Their bench players seem to be pretty interchangeable. There’s another big, but he has only seen the floor in one game so far.

So their lineup goes: 6’9 (and 250), 6’7, 6’7, 6’2, 6’2. I would advise we disabuse ourselves of the notion that this is a small team. They will be bigger at the 3 than us and their 5 man is thick/wide. They have 2 or 3 guys who can and will hoist 3’s with effectiveness and they drive hard to the basket, play good defense and are very tough. They will almost certainly be the most athletic team we have faced so far. I think we will have a battle on our hands.

Looking forward to it.[/quote]

Good write up.

That ‘other big’ they had coming off the bench last game was their leading returning interior scorer from last season. I think he averaged 8 pts 5 rebs last year, but didn’t play the first two games and didn’t look great in the last one. Hopefully, he is still getting back into the groove.

I think if Ingram can have a smooth transition and help us with handling the ball and some shooting we can squeak by. Also, just like every game this year, it will be a game of ‘I hope our big guys don’t get in foul trouble’.[/quote]

…and…hit FTs and some 3s!!!

I agree with you, and I am hoping everything changes in the KSU game. If we’re going to start playing well the entire game, this is the game I want to see us do it.

I would guess most of us have felt that way for several years now, very rarely does a loss really surprise me.

I would guess most of us have felt that way for several years now, very rarely does a loss really surprise me.[/quote]

Yeah sadly this is probably how the majority of the fanbase, at least the ones that are left feel.

If we win, great! If we lose…well the Panthers still will have beaten the Patriots.

I would guess most of us have felt that way for several years now, very rarely does a loss really surprise me.[/quote]

Yeah sadly this is probably how the majority of the fanbase, at least the ones that are left feel.[/quote]

Add me to that list too. I feel exactly the same way.

I will say I want us to beat Kansas State as much as any out-of-conference team we play this year. Speaking of Huggins… I know of at least 2 WVU fans that have had enough of Huggins and wish they had never given him that long-term contract.

This

:sigh:

Their fans are so scared of us they aren’t even mentioning the game 2 days away.

They don’t have to talk smack about our team because they know we’re much better at tearing the team down.

or…?

Perhaps the KSU fans are too busy enjoying the cultural metropolis known as Manhattan, Kansas.

I don’t think the Syracuse fans were talking about us when they played us at the beginning of the season after they had won the National Championship the previous year.

The NC State fans were not talking about us 2 days before we played in “their tournament” in Raleigh back in 2000. They knew all about us when it was over with. The State fans had a big football game they were worried about. I wonder if KSU is in a similar situation.

I want to see them ruthlessly brutalized and humiliated.

And after, in the post game interview, after their souls have been killed, I want Coach to overtly recruit their best player in a humble and super honest way.

[font=Arial][size=14px]guard Denzel Ingram will play Thurs. against K-State in Puerto Rico. Had missed 1st 3 games with foot injury.[/size][/font]

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:34, topic:28404”][font=arial][size=14px]guard Denzel Ingram will play Thurs. against K-State in Puerto Rico. Had missed 1st 3 games with foot injury.[/size][/font][/quote]Big news, helps our guys stay fresher for late games situations.

You mean the game we’ll inevitably blow with poor play and send this program even further into a downward spiral?

If Major doesn’t do bilingual press conferences, I’m calling for his head.

You mean the game we’ll inevitably blow with poor play and send this program even further into a downward spiral?[/quote]

How is the program in a downward spiral coming off of the first NIT bid in 5 years, and getting better recruits than in the last 10 years?

You mean the game we’ll inevitably blow with poor play and send this program even further into a downward spiral?[/quote]

How is the program in a downward spiral coming off of the first NIT bid in 5 years, and getting better recruits than in the last 10 years?[/quote]He was joking.

[quote=“Dowless, post:38, topic:28404”]How is the program in a downward spiral coming off of the first NIT bid in 5 years, and getting better recruits than in the last 10 years?[/quote]Sarcasm just isn’t as clear when you can’t hear the tone of voice.

I do hope fans will be able to enjoy it when the program does finally reach a higher post-season level, even if they miss out on the season leading up to it. I know it’s pretty common for fans to check out when the team isn’t as successful as they want it to be, but I’m not sure I understand that attitude. How can you enjoy a game, like say the Butler game last year, if you say you don’t care about it going in?

As for K st., I think they’re probably decent enough that this will be a very tough game for us. Particularly our young post guys, who will be going up against better athletes than they have so far this season, even if those athletes aren’t as tall or as skilled. That said, if the Niners play well, they should be able to pull out a close win, as I think this team is equal to or better than last year’s, and last year’s team beat some better teams when they were playing well.