Katz claims Crean focus of Ohio State

ESPN.com: Marquette coach considered front-runner

Not sure what to make of this statement, especially since the Buckeyes are most likely facing NCAA sanctions in light of Jim O’Brien’s shennanigans:

Crean probably can’t take Marquette much higher than the Eagles’ Final Four bid in 2003 behind Dwyane Wade. Ohio State has a much more stable future than the Eagles, especially with Marquette’s move to the Big East.

It seems funny that Crean “turned down” the Illinois job last year but many think he would accept the Ohio State job. Sure, the OSU athletic department is overall much better than Illinois but the Illini basketball team is surely better than the Buckeye teams of late.

I believe that Crean demanded an escape clause for the Spartan job and Illinois flatly refused. I can’t imagine Ohio St. allowing Crean to include such a clause.

I think you mean the Illini rather than spartans.

“Illini basketball team is surely better than the Buckeye teams of late.”

Well, not much if any. In the last 6 years, 2 confrence titles, one conf. tourny title, one final 4. Last year was Obriens 1st losing season. Not too shabby.

[i]Originally posted by NinerUpNorth[/i]@Jun 24 2004, 05:24 PM [b] It seems funny that Crean "turned down" the Illinois job last year but many think he would accept the Ohio State job. Sure, the OSU athletic department is overall much better than Illinois but the Illini basketball team is surely better than the Buckeye teams of late.

I believe that Crean demanded an escape clause for the Spartan job and Illinois flatly refused. I can’t imagine Ohio St. allowing Crean to include such a clause. [/b]

Why would Creen leave Marquette? He is in a great situation there.

[b]I think you mean the Illini rather than spartans[/b]

No, he meant an escape clause from the Illinois job if the Michigan State job ever came available while he was at Illinois. Crean was an MSU assistant under Tom Izzo before getting the MU job.

Well, if Crean is a candidate, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel doesn’t feel as if it’s newsworthy - and they do a good job of covering Marquette.

BTW, USA Today is saying that Ohio-native Mark Gottfried of the University of Alabama is a candidate for the job.

Gosh, wonder what Tom Crean thinks about Andy Katz? :rolleyes:

“There are certain people who will use names, and my name happens to be one of those that gets brought up right away. … I don’t put a lot of stock into it.”

Link: NBC4Columbus.com

Crean seems content at Marquette…

JSOnline.com: Crean declares allegiance to MU

Of course, I’d be content too at $1.2 million per year… :lol: