Katz picks Withers among top 50 for Wooden Award

Here is Katz’s Daily Word from ESPN.com

One man’s ballot for Wooden top 50
Wednesday, July 28: Here’s my top 50 preseason ballot for the Wooden Award: Taylor Coppenrath, (Vermont), Shelden Williams (Duke), Jarrett Jack (Georgia Tech), John Gilchrist (Maryland), Sean May, Raymond Felton, Rashad McCants (UNC) Julius Hodge (N.C. State), Chris Paul, Eric Williams (Wake Forest), Steven Smith (LaSalle), Craig Smith (BC), Charlie Villanueva, Josh Boone (UConn), Chris Thomas (ND), Carl Krauser, Chris Taft (Pitt), Ryan Gomes (Providence), Hakim Warrick, Gerry McNamara (Syracuse), Dee Brown, Deron Williams (Illinois), Bracey Wright (Indiana), Paul Davis (Michigan State), Curtis Stinson (Iowa State), Wayne Simien, Keith Langford (KU), Joey Graham, John Lucas III (OSU), P.J. Tucker (Texas), Curtis Withers (Charlotte), Jason Maxiell (Cincinnati), Francisco Garcia (Louisville), Travis Diener (Marquette), Danny Granger (UNM), Hassan Adams, Mustafa Shakur, Channing Frye (Arizona), Ike Diogu (ASU), Chris Hernandez (Stanford), Nate Robinson (Washington), Kennedy Winston (Alabama), Ronnie Brewer (Arkansas), Anthony Roberson (Florida), Chuck Hayes (Kentucky), Brandon Bass (LSU), Lawrence Roberts (MSU), Tim Smith (ETSU), Ronny Turiaf, Adam Morrison (Gonzaga).

Katz watched the Team USA trials. I’m pretty sure Curtis wouldn’t be on his list without them. Being on that team will lead to a bunch of extra recognition.

Anyone else surprised Justin Gray didn’t make this list???

And you read it hear first, Vitas Danelous will be an All ACC performer this year. He will at least be on one of the top 3 All ACC teams. I predict Second team, but that may be pushing it since there are 9 ACC canidates for POY.

[b]And you read it hear first, Vitas Danelous will be an All ACC performer this year. He will at least be on one of the top 3 All ACC teams. I predict Second team, but that may be pushing it since there are 9 ACC canidates for POY. [/b]

Of course I read it here first. I don’t read ACC boards. That’s because I don’t give a flying flip about ACC information. If I did, that’s where I’d go to read it.
Someone don the Captain Obvious uniform and sweep in to save this guy.

dah dah dah dah!

[font=Optima][SIZE=4]TO THE RESCUE![/font][/SIZE]

Fantastic - Jimmyhat49er appears to be a closet Deacs fan.

Well, if you’re gonna pull for an ACC school, Wake’s the one to pull for IMO.

Danielus (sp?) is ok, but Trent Strickland and Chris Paul are the true studs on that squad.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jul 29 2004, 02:05 PM [b]

Of course I read it here first. I don’t read ACC boards. That’s because I don’t give a flying flip about ACC information. If I did, that’s where I’d go to read it.
Someone don the Captain Obvious uniform and sweep in to save this guy. [/b]

I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I made a terrible mistake and offered opinions that didn’t pertain to the 49ers. I lost my head it will never happen again. I’m truly sorry for offending Ninerloudnproud, I hope you can find a place in your little green heart to forgive me.

My original post should have read as follows:
Curtis is the best, he will win the Wooden award, the 49ers will win the national championship, Bobby Lutz is the greatest coach ever.

[QUOTE]Katz watched the Team USA trials. I’m pretty sure Curtis wouldn’t be on his list without them. Being on that team will lead to a bunch of extra recognition.

I have to respectfully disagree Lefty, Curtis was first team all conference for one of the top 4 basketball conferences. I have to believe that he would have made the list for the top 50 player in the country, USA team or no USA team.

I’m a wake fan too :ph34r: but if every the Niners play WFU, GO NINERS!!!

Niners for Life
:smiley:

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Jul 29 2004, 04:01 PM [b]I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I made a terrible mistake and offered opinions that didn't pertain to the 49ers. I lost my head it will never happen again. I'm truly sorry for offending Ninerloudnproud, I hope you can find a place in your little green heart to forgive me.

My original post should have read as follows:
Curtis is the best, he will win the Wooden award, the 49ers will win the national championship, Bobby Lutz is the greatest coach ever.[/b]

You know, this drama is getting really old. I for one am tired of it. Look, you can like whoever you want to like, and even post about it where you like, but when you post entirely about Wake Forest in a thread about Curtis Withers, what kind of reaction should you expect?

So save us the sanctimonious attitude. 'preesh.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Jul 29 2004, 05:00 PM [b] You know, this drama is getting really old. I for one am tired of it. Look, you can like whoever you want to like, and even post about it where you like, but when you post [i]entirely about Wake Forest[/i] in a thread about Curtis Withers, what kind of reaction should you expect?

So save us the sanctimonious attitude. 'preesh. [/b]

Your right… I was just struck that Gray didn’t get selected and added on my Danelous comment while I was at it. I wasn’t really thinking about it being a Curtis thread and I will try to keep all non Curtis discussion out of his thread.

As for the drama and attitude, this is a message board isn’t it???

It s kinda foolish to think we all live in the Charlotte bubble. I know myself that I watch many more ACC games on TV than I have Sunbelt/Metro/Conf USA/ A10. Keep mixin it up boys…It keeps the offseason lively. NLP, Ive seen the Hatman and he goes at about 6’6" and 270 Lbs. so lets make sure this banter stays civil.

Oh come on. This isn’t a pissing match. I’m just tired of thread hijacking. Seriously. This board is perfectly designed to keep that from happening. But if anyone is compelled to get their panties all bunched up, I’m a piece of cake to find. CARC’s first lab when you enter opposite Smith. Name on my profile matches the door.

But it’s where I do my research , and NLP works best unmolested. :ph34r:

[i]Originally posted by JKniner[/i]@Jul 29 2004, 06:09 PM [b] Ive seen the Hatman and he goes at about 6'6" and 270 Lbs. [/b]
sign him up! we have found Iti's replacement! can he shoot a free throw?

hat, I’m glad you’re a ake fan rather than a tarhole fan, but I assume the Niners are your favorite team. As a native & former long-time resident of Winston, I’ve probably been to more Wake games than anyone on this board, including games all the way back to the Charlie Davis, Gil McGregor, & Norwood Toddman days. My loyalty goes to the Niners though & I’ve almost quit being a Wake fan because that little ole school that used to always be the underdog is now full of spoiled assholes that are only there because their mommy & daddy dish out about 35 grand a year, & that’s often because their kid cannot get into other schools. Since posters on the Wake board refer to us as UNCC, I may start referring to Wake as Wake Forest Baptist College.

:rolleyes:

Curtis Withers sure is a fine basketball player.

Decent C-USA representation on Katz’s list with Withers, Garcia (UofL), Maxiell (Cincy), and Diener (Marquette). Sort of surprised not to see Sean Banks (Memphis) on there. Only A-10er is Steve Smith (LaSalle).

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jul 30 2004, 08:30 AM [b] Curtis Withers sure is a fine basketball player. [/b]
He is the GREATEST. The best power forward to ever live. And he will lead the 49ers to the National Championship game in 2005!
[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Jul 30 2004, 09:04 AM [b] Decent C-USA representation on Katz's list with Withers, Garcia (UofL), Maxiell (Cincy), and Diener, (Marquette). Sort of surprised not to see Sean Banks (Memphis) on there. Only A-10er is Steve Smith (LaSalle). [/b]
Wonder if he left Banks off as a direct diss for not trying out for the USA team. He was very critical of him. Just a thought.
[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Jul 30 2004, 02:30 PM [b] Wonder if he left Banks off as a direct diss for not trying out for the USA team. He was very critical of him. Just a thought. [/b]
I was thinking the same thing.

Could also be because he’s just a Soph.

Banks’ snub of the U-20 team seems to be the reason for Katz’s snub of Banks. Memphis/C-USA sportswriter Gary Parrish of the Memphis Commercial-Appeal appears to back that up in today’s edition:

[b]Lingering effects

The backlash from Sean Banks’s snubbing of Team USA tryouts two weekends ago is starting to surface.

ESPN.com’s Andy Katz released a list of 50 players he nominated this preseason for the Wooden Award. Banks isn’t among the 50 despite Katz naming the Memphis standout as his national freshman of the year last year.[/b]

Link: CommercialAppeal.com]