Last Jedi Discussion thread !! SPOILERS !!

Ken, I’m not disbelieving the advancement. I am saying it breaks the entire star wars universe for storytelling. It negates any of the few advantages or safety the rebellion could ever have. It’s the equivalent of invulnerability for superman.[/quote]

I don’t think so. It just shows continual advancement. If the empire/first order knew thats how they always escape they would seek to fix that. I am sure we will see the rebels devise a way to use it to their advantage or to minimize it’s usability.

I still think the issue so many people have with really all star wars is they are seeking to replicate an emotion and attachment that can not be replicated.

If they come up with a way to block it, it’s just corny.

I don’t think people are focusing on just how much introducing concepts like this breaks the star wars universe. That’s my problem with it. It’s irresponsible or reckless storytelling. It’s like giving one tribe of cavemen nukes.

Ken, I’m not disbelieving the advancement. I am saying it breaks the entire star wars universe for storytelling. It negates any of the few advantages or safety the rebellion could ever have. It’s the equivalent of invulnerability for superman.[/quote]

I don’t think so. It just shows continual advancement. If the empire/first order knew thats how they always escape they would seek to fix that. I am sure we will see the rebels devise a way to use it to their advantage or to minimize it’s usability.

I still think the issue so many people have with really all star wars is they are seeking to replicate an emotion and attachment that can not be replicated.[/quote]

I agree. I’m not so sure it’s any different than the Death Star… or insert whatever. Opposing forces always are seeking the upper hand. And of course once leverage is evident, it must be countered. Balance.

But that will be my first and last post in this thread as I don’t want to get sucked in :stuck_out_tongue:

I feel bad because now I want to visit a planet of cavemen, leave them nukes, & see what happens from the safety of my far off space ship, NA.

I think I could have been okay with hyperspace tracking if it required the empire to figuratively stick a tracker under the back bumper, and it just took the Resistance a while to figure out how they did it. Plot still would have worked, and it wouldn’t be so crazily overpowered.

I was told that the dice that Luke gives Leia are from the Sabacc game when Han won the Falcon from Lando.

That is actually pretty cool. Explains why Han had them hanging off the rearview mirror.

clt says this is also good.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:26, topic:31281”]I was told that the dice that Luke gives Leia are from the Sabacc game when Han won the Falcon from Lando.

That is actually pretty cool. Explains why Han had them hanging off the rearview mirror.[/quote]

Will bet good money these make an appearance in the han solo movie

I just heard the best critical analogy:

Rian Johnson is Luke in this movie, and the angry fanbois & the weight of their expectations are the First Order on Crate. Rian pulled the exact same dodge that Luke did. What did we expect, Rian to pull out his laser sword and take us all on?

He also suggested that Rian’s decision were conscious of the analogy. That it was all intentional.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iO-Q11aJZc[/youtube]

This is interesting. I am not sure I am buying it yet, but assuming I did, the theory here is that Snoke is manipulating Kylo and Rey to try to turn her. And I think this is because he is trying to snuff out any chance for Jedi Order 2.0 (and less about Rey in particular, though perhaps there’s more there too)

I hate this guys voice, but here’s another video about Snoke’s limited backstory:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVXb7wTO2IQ[/youtube]

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:26, topic:31281”]I was told that the dice that Luke gives Leia are from the Sabacc game when Han won the Falcon from Lando.

That is actually pretty cool. Explains why Han had them hanging off the rearview mirror.[/quote]

That is correct. However, he “gave” her dice that were not real, just as he was not real. The actual dice are, I’m pretty sure, still hanging in the Falcon.

Here’s some more insane theory-ing:

So much for TLJ answering anything.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHixjzrT40[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mZZAvIHMvQ[/youtube]

I am not endorsing any of these theories, just pointing out that fanbois will fanboi.

Fans are rewriting the last jedi to fix the problems. I’ve never written anything approaching fanfiction (yuck), but I do want to share some of my ideas to fix the weakest plot points.

1. Ackbar gets Holdos storyline. He tells Poe Dameron his plan, but enlists Poe & Finn to assist him by disabling/slowing/ etc the imperial fleet. They enlist Rose on their way, similar to how she got involved in the movie. My favorite version is that they prevent the First Order ships from a simple flanking maneuver. So many ways you could go with that, including highlighting some of their character flaws and having them learn from it. Anyway, eventually Ackbar kamikazes the flagship (named after another hero admiral), to save everyone, like Holdo did.

And I’d either kill Leia in space, or have her survive in the bridge and expend her untrained force powers to save Ackbar and herself (and a couple more survivors).

1. Cutting the Cantu Blight side plot allows a few extra minutes to cut Rey’s training back in to the movie.

2. Luke reveals his bitterness as a defense mechanism against fear, and Yoda shows up to refocus him. He intentionally passes the Jedi books on to Rey and a warning not to make the same mistakes he made. Then he catches a ride with Rey to Crate and shows up in the flesh. Rey quotes back the “do you expect me to show up with a laser sword and defeat the first order” line (or not - depends on pacing), and Luke steels himself after R-2 bolsters him with the Leia recording (he can follow in the footsteps of Ben), by opening himself again to the force (possibly confronting flashback visions with Kylo til he makes peace with them) in a force meditation on the deck of the Falcon. Luke then actually walks out of the Crate base and faces Kylo and the Walkers. Mustering all of his power, in a showdown reminiscent of Gandalf vs the Balrog, he force shields himself during the laser barrage, then in what is obviously an extremely taxing effort, he disables the walkers with a massive force gesture. Hobbled, he ends up facing a furious Kylo Ren, with Rey and the Falcon buying him a moment like Han did in the Death Star trench. Luke reaches out to thank her but tells her to save Leia and the Resistance fighters. Having caught his breath, he stands again to fight Kylo, but reality sets in as Kylo reveals the true extent of his power in a devastating series of lightsaber and force attacks that drives Luke to the ground (much like Luke did to Vader). In the moment of his defeat, Luke reaches out to Leia to see if they are safe (Rey or Leia move the rocks), and Luke says goodbye (call back to the end of Empire), before force ghosting as Kylo strikes the kill shot.

3. Episode IX

The one other thing I’d like to do (in VIII) is in the last flashback scene, show Ben leaving the Jedi temple with the Knights of Ren, because I want them to be Kylos royal guards / enforcers in IX. They need to be like Snokes guards, but also dark side force users, and they will be terrorizing the Galaxy to start the next film.

The major plot arc for IX will be that Rey will have to rebuild a reformed Jedi order (not bound by the more monastic rules of the old Order, and more knowledgeable of the dark side) to defeat the now rebranded New Galactic Empire, to restore the Galaxy, thereby closing the loop started by Plagueis/Palpatine/Anakin in the prequels, and ending the Skywalker storyline (Rey becomes the chosen one, finally restoring balance to the force).

Closing scene of IX is Rey, temporarily dismissing the young Jedi 2.0 (balance Jedi) so they can join the celebration, turning to see force ghosts of Anakin, ObI Wan, Yoda, Luke, and maybe even Qui Gon looking on in approval. The Galaxy, the Republic, and the Jedi Order are reformed. The decades of upheaval are over.

I just wrote fanfiction. I see why it’s so distasteful. The actual writing, which I put minimal effort into, is cheesy as hell, but I think the plot restructuring is valid. The only question I have is would that version be considered too predictable / safe / derivative like TFA was? I am not sure. For that reason, it was a worthwhile exercise.

Any thoughts on the plot structure?

After seeing 3-3/12 stars I had high expectations but walked away disappointed. This new trilogy hasn’t made sense to me. I can use World War II as an analogy. The allies defeat Hitler, then 30 years later Hitler has regained power, meanwhile the allies are down to 400 soldiers and by the end of the last Jedi (so much for return of the Jedi), they are down to about 12. How does this happen?

Couple issues I had. Rey didn’t receive hardly any training from Luke, at least that’s how it appeared, not like what Luke received from Obi Wan and Yoda yet she’s lifting giant stones to save the rebels. What happened to the midicholorians? Can use the force now? Snoke’s death, didn’t see that coming so that was interesting, although I don’t see the point of having him as this big bad guy and then he’s dead with hardly any explanation as to who he was. Luke said he knew Snoke had already turned Kylo so there has to be some history between the two.

It also does not make sense that Luke says Snoke had already turned Kylo but then Rey is stating she senses Kylo’s conflict. Luke never gave up on his father so why would we give up on Kylo?

I was hoping Luke would be in the next one but that does not appear to be the case. I think Kylo was hinting to the direction of the movies kill the past. Looks like we are down to Chewy, R2 and C-3PO.

This latest trilogy is lacking in character development compared to the original.

Bump, just because it pisses some people off to bump it.

clt says happy Christmas nerds.

Enjoyed reading this today after seeing the movie tonight. Thanks for the bump. I enjoyed your commentary, NA, even if I don’t agree with all of it. I may post some thoughts tomorrow, but frankly I’m on vacation and about to drink a nice Belgian Tripel.

Yes this is 6 most later, but this is the best Last Jedi review I have seen. This guy nails it, and he’s pretty funny too. The Lesbian bookstore owner line had me rolling: