Laurinburg Institute - 14 players sign with D1's

Observer preps

• Fourteen Laurinburg Institute players signed with Division I colleges Wednesday: Roburt Sallie (Washington), Chris Johnson and Magnum Rolle (Louisiana State), Shawne Williams, Antonio Anderson, Robert Dozier and Kareem Cooper (Memphis), Elvis Lora (Florida International), Kellen Lee (Iowa State), Nikola Stevenovic (Rhode Island), Gregory Grimes (N.C. A&T), Mitch Mullis (Charlotte), Jamel White (Nebraska) and Michael Smith (Mississippi).

They have a new coach this year. The former Coach left and is now an assistant at Dixie State, where Grier played last year (JUCO). He brought in a lot of players from S America and Africa…and many have joined him at Dixie St. But Laurinburg continues to be a hotbed for talented players.

I had read that we had shown some interest in Nikola Stevenovic, who signed with Rhode Island. So we’ll still see him, just not as often.

Also looks like Coach Cal made a pretty good haul with Laurinburg.

Hopefully, playing against D-1 talent everyday in practice will advance Mitch’s game. I will be curious to see how much time he gets in games.

4 of the remaining 18 on the roster at Laurinburg will most likely sign D1 in the spring. :o

Per Bob Gibbons on Rivals.com:

In addition, the four still unsigned Laurinburg players, 6-6 wing forward Qua Marbury (from Lannett, Ala.), who may decide between Auburn and Charlotte; 6-8, 240-pound center/forward Ismaila Njie, now considering Utah and Rice, among others; 6-0 point guard David Marek from the Czech Republic; and 6-4 guard/forward Quantez Robertson, according to Coach Chaney are all receiving Division I recruitment.