Let's talk football!

Here is ODU’s hometown paper getting to done. Interesting it says we may be 2-0. I was feeling pretty good about that as a possibility until I say that G State accepted the 2nd largest group of UAB transfers to add experience and depth…

http://hamptonroads.com/…/preview-odus-2015-football-oppone…

[font=Georgia][size=18px]The Buzz:[/size][/font][font=Georgia][/size][size=18px] Charlotte opens its third spring football campaign with a lot of excitement as the 49ers prepare to make the move up from the Football Championship Subdivision to the Football Bowl Subdivision this season. In two seasons in the FCS, the program is 10-12 under head coach Brad Lambert and this year’s squad returns 19 starters heading into 2015 campaign. There is sure to be somewhat of an adjustment, but if programs like Appalachian State and Georgia Southern have proven, it’s possible to make the move up and still find success on the gridiron. Meanwhile, the league must move on without one of its founding members – UAB – after the University of Alabama’s Board of Trustees made the unpopular move to jettison football shortly after the end of the 2014 season as a cost-cutting measure. Charlotte will take UAB’s spot in the East Division.[/size][/font]

I’m not in the camp that thinks 6 UAB transfers are going to be a significant upgrade for the Panthers. Sure, they’ll help, but UAB wasn’t world beaters last year so hard to measure the impact of just 6 players. 2-0 would be a seriously good start for us.

We will have plenty of struggles. Having 19 starters returning is the best you can do going into FBS being a start up program.

Who will we loose going into year 2? Danny Book and Clayton-Molby and Nick Cook…any others?

Who will we loose going into year 2? Danny Book and Clayton-Molby and Nick Cook…any others?[/quote]

clt says we lose Riley, as well.

Who will we loose going into year 2? Danny Book and Clayton-Molby and Nick Cook…any others?[/quote]

Cooper and Blitch…not sure about the 3rd.

I kind of disagree. While this is not going to make them good, it adds talent, experience, and depth to a team that needs it badly.
Imagine us upgrading with six transfers from bowl eligible teams showing up at once.
I’ve got this one down as a loss.

“ODU’s Conference USA home opener, on paper, should be a blowout.”

I for one think we will have a good chance of competing in this game. If our offense keeps progressing as it has from the start and our defense makes some scheme adjustments with some added depth, I think we have an opportunity to surprise alot of people this year. While I’m not getting over confident we were still alot better team last year than our record would suggest.

I am very jealous of the coverage that ODU gets in their hometown paper. i actually think our football team may get more coverage by their beat writer than ours. Do we even have a beat writer?

There is no way around it. This year we are going to take some lumps and it will be ugly at times. I am prepared for that. We will be much better but the results may not be there. This will be the 3rd and in some cases the 4th year of our guys playing together and that is one of the only advantages we have. Will that be enough to make up for the difference in talent level? Most times it won’t.

As far as the UAB transfers to Georgia State, I think it will help them with depth, but only a few of those guys even played last year. We have several transfers that will play for us this year that are at that level or maybe better with Manley, Lemay, and Floyd. The bigger thing with GSU is that they have almost all of their key guys returning.

This is a probably a good thread to start posting the SB Nation 128 team countdown. They started with the Sunbelt and are now previewing the MAC. They wil lget to us and C-USA eventually.

Georgia State preview (2015 & 2017)
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/11/8007957/georgia-state-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster

Appalachian State preview (2018 & 2019)
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/13/8032977/appalachian-state-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster

Eastern Michigan preview (2016 & 2017)
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/24/8075639/eastern-michigan-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster

Cook is a RS Jr this year. He will return in 2016. Also, lose, not loose. Unless you’re a medievil english longbowman, and intend to launch him over JRS.

Cooper and Blitch…not sure about the 3rd.[/quote]
I think he meant AFTER this season (ie; 2nd year of FBS).

Here is who we will lose after this season:

Clayton-Molby, Caleb LB
Johnson, Devon DE
Book, Daniel OL
Holmes, Ardy CB
Dozier, Branden DB
Murphy, Richard H
Alexander, Damarrell RB
Nixon, Cortezz CB
Thomas, Zach OL
Desmond Floyd DE

[quote=“trickynbc, post:9, topic:29432”]“ODU’s Conference USA home opener, on paper, should be a blowout.”

I for one think we will have a good chance of competing in this game. If our offense keeps progressing as it has from the start and our defense makes some scheme adjustments with some added depth, I think we have an opportunity to surprise alot of people this year. While I’m not getting over confident we were still alot better team last year than our record would suggest.[/quote]

Harry Minimum has come off as kind of smug towards our program, or atleast his writing and tweets aim in that direction at times. I’d love nothing more than to beat him so he has to cover that shit, write it, blog, and tweet about it.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:15, topic:29432”][quote=“trickynbc, post:9, topic:29432”]“ODU’s Conference USA home opener, on paper, should be a blowout.”

I for one think we will have a good chance of competing in this game. If our offense keeps progressing as it has from the start and our defense makes some scheme adjustments with some added depth, I think we have an opportunity to surprise alot of people this year. While I’m not getting over confident we were still alot better team last year than our record would suggest.[/quote]

Harry Minimum has come off as kind of smug towards our program, or atleast his writing and tweets aim in that direction at times. I’d love nothing more than to beat him so he has to cover that s***, write it, blog, and tweet about it.[/quote]

I feel the same way and couldn’t help but hear his smugness while reading through that article. I’d love to beat them especially since they begged the league to put us on their schedule this year as a guaranteed win.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:16, topic:29432”][quote=“CharSFNiners, post:15, topic:29432”][quote=“trickynbc, post:9, topic:29432”]“ODU’s Conference USA home opener, on paper, should be a blowout.”

Harry Minimum has come off as kind of smug towards our program, or atleast his writing and tweets aim in that direction at times. I’d love nothing more than to beat him so he has to cover that s***, write it, blog, and tweet about it.[/quote]

I feel the same way and couldn’t help but hear his smugness while reading through that article. I’d love to beat them especially since they begged the league to put us on their schedule this year as a guaranteed win.[/quote]
I doubt we will beat them this year, but I really do think people have overblown the ODU program’s success. Their first 2 years schedules were weaker than ours. While their records were better, they really didn’t become a formidable FCS team until years 3-4. We are not even there yet and are heading into FBS. Of course, our first year in FBS will probably look worse than ODU’s since theirs came in the program’s 6th season versus ours in season 3.

[quote=“919R, post:17, topic:29432”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:16, topic:29432”][quote=“CharSFNiners, post:15, topic:29432”][quote=“trickynbc, post:9, topic:29432”]“ODU’s Conference USA home opener, on paper, should be a blowout.”

I feel the same way and couldn’t help but hear his smugness while reading through that article. I’d love to beat them especially since they begged the league to put us on their schedule this year as a guaranteed win.[/quote]
I doubt we will beat them this year, but I really do think people have overblown the ODU program’s success. Their first 2 years schedules were weaker than ours. While their records were better, they really didn’t become a formidable FCS team until years 3-4. We are not even there yet and are heading into FBS. Of course, our first year in FBS will probably look worse than ODU’s since theirs came in the program’s 6th season versus ours in season 3.[/quote]Agree. The main difference in ODU and us the first two years is they have had great luck with QBs.

Heineke will be on an NFL roster for training camp this year. He was a great QB. We haven’t had an NFL caliber QB.

ODU will possibly be starting a freshman QB this fall. If I were betting, I’d pick us to lose, but I don’t think it is a sure thing that they blow us out, or even beat us.

6. vs. Charlotte. Drubbing in every facet. Charlotte has demonsrated very little that differentiates it from fakeGSU, other than better fan support. Should be Homecoming game. ODU rolls by 27.
Has anyone seen Charlotte's Schedule

I hope they have a world class hospital in Charlotte.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-725488-post-11726772.html#pid11726772

[quote=“NA, post:19, topic:29432”]

6. vs. Charlotte. Drubbing in every facet. Charlotte has demonsrated very little that differentiates it from fakeGSU, other than better fan support. Should be Homecoming game. ODU rolls by 27.

Has anyone seen Charlotte's Schedule

I hope they have a world class hospital in Charlotte.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-725488-post-11726772.html#pid11726772[/quote]

Let them talk. We will struggle, but ODU in the post-Heinicke era will be a different ball team. Their defense was in the bottom 15 of the FBS, and losing a guy who threw 30+ TDs a season will have a huge impact on their offensive productivity. Not saying it will be a win, and it is hard to predict anything this far away from the season, but I really don’t think it will be a blow out.