Lighting

Hmmm…I always thought of miners as guys in caves digging out coal. I suppose they could be digging out gold as well though. Fascinating.

Speaking of parking, Why do they send everyone out the exit to Mallard Creek? Why dont they open up the new road by the track out to Hwy 29? Then leaving the games would be a lot easier.

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 12:40 PM [b] Speaking of parking, Why do they send everyone out the exit to Mallard Creek? Why dont they open up the new road by the track out to Hwy 29? Then leaving the games would be a lot easier. [/b]
I'll bet if you started complaining about it, they would make it happen. B)

Personally I saw we fire Lutz right now for the parking. FIRE HIM NOW!

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 11:18 AM [b] I'm pretty sure that Forty Niners refers to the people that wear searching for gold in Charlotte. I am currently researching the subject and will have a diffinitive answer on the subject. [/b]
I believe you will find that THE 49ers were NOT seeking gold in the Charlotte area. By 1849 the gold rush around here was looong over. The 49ers in California were so-called because it was 1849 when the rush out there was at its peak and the most prospectors flooded into that area. The prospectors around here were just that, prospectors, and had no nick name to my knowledge. Ask Professor Morrill. He'll know.

The Charlotte Prospectors…mmmmmm…

Aug 23 2000 - Charlotte 49ers Debut New Logo

Charlotte 49ers Debut New Logo
With an explosive pick raised high, 49ers Director of Athletics Judy Rose proudly proclaimed,

Chancellor J.H. Woodward, Athletics Director Judy Rose and Men’s Basketball Coach Bobby Lutz spoke at Charlotte’s new logo unveiling.

Aug. 23, 2000

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - With an explosive pick raised high, 49ers Director of Athletics Judy Rose proudly proclaimed, “The 49ers are Charlotte’s pick for college athletics and Charlotte is the 49ers pick for a new logo. Charlotte. Simply Charlotte.”

With that, an animated video displayed the new logo coming together. The 49ers mascot, Norm, then unveiled a 10x15 banner as the 49ers cheerleaders raced on to the court, throwing logo t-shirts into the crowd while spotlights sprayed versions of the logo around the arena and the display board on the scoreboard flashed the new look.

The logo is at once proud, bold and energetic. A pick, raised by a coiled arm and ready to strike, forms a “C” at the beginning of the word “Charlotte”. Charlotte. Simply Charlotte. After years of confusion and misrepresentations that have seen or heard the school’s identity mangled, the athletic department saw fit to simplify its name to “Charlotte”. And while the official school name remains “The University of North Carolina at Charlotte” or “UNC Charlotte”, the 49ers are urging fans and media alike to stop the insanity and call them “Charlotte.” Simply Charlotte.

No more N.C.-Charlotte. No more N.C.-Char. No more North Carolina-Charlotte. No more UNCC. No more UNC-C. No more UNCC at Charlotte. No hyphens, no spaces, no abbreviations. Charlotte. Simply Charlotte. Just as the 49ers Conference USA brethren survive as Memphis, Saint Louis, Cincinnati, Louisville or Houston so too will the 49ers prosper as Charlotte.

In addition to the arrival of the new athletic mark, the 49ers unveiled three secondary logos: The “C” as a stand alone logo, a “4-9-e-r-s” word mark and a logo that incorporates both the “C” and the “4-9-e-r-s” logo. In addition, the 49ers have unveiled two versions of sport specific logos. One version, uses the “C” with the specific sports icon contained inside. The sports specific logo for basketball is the centerpiece for the 49ers new basketball court design.

The new logos replace two old athletic marks: the face of a grizzly old Miner and a “4-9-e-r-s” script logo.

While the Miner logo will be phased out, the “Norm the Niner” Mascot will continue to patrol the sidelines at 49ers sporting events.

“We are proud of our heritage,” Rose said. “We’re proud to be members of the North Carolina university system. But, frankly, we are tired of being confused with other institutions or having our own identity misused and misconstrued. It’s harder to make a name for yourself, when your name keeps getting confused. Not only will this logo simplify matters, but it gives the program an exciting new look that better captures our essence.”

Charlotte gold rush was in 1801…