Longtime 49ers Tennis Coach Jim Boykin retires

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2010/04/longtime-49ers-tennis-coach-jim-boykin.html

Thanks Coach!

When are we getting upgraded tennis courts and some lights?

I played his son when he played at #1 North Meck back in the day. Needless to say, he kicked my ass.

I had the opportunity to sit with Coach Boykin at the Gold Rush Auction a couple of years ago and he is a really nice guy. I think the man can eat his weight in food too. He was hired when we were in the Metro Conference, and our sports program was in a very different place then. In his 16 years here his record is 193-198. I don’t know that anyone gets too wound up over the tennis team, but this is one of those opportunities to get a young, aggressive coach and take over another A-10 sport. With the new tennis facilities coming on line I look for bigger things from this team.

you definitly cant underestimate the importance of excelling at these smaller sports, even though they dont make the university much money.

Considering tennis wasn’t doing too well, I wonder if this was a “forced” retirement?

I doubt a forced retirement…weird timing, new facility scheduled to start construction at the end of the month? at least according to what I heard…

I would imagine it was hard to recruit kids to charlotte, being that they played on what equates to public courts, students play on them. According to that insider episode I saw a couple months back the new courts will actually have seating available for spectators, which will be nice!

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:5, topic:23128”]you definitly cant underestimate the importance of excelling at these smaller sports, even though they dont make the university any money.[/quote]fixed

[quote=“Savio, post:3, topic:23128”]I played his son when he played at #1 North Meck back in the day. Needless to say, he kicked my ass.[/quote]When did you play and who did you play for?

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:6, topic:23128”]Considering tennis wasn’t doing too well, I wonder if this was a “forced” retirement?[/quote] Was at athletic banquet tonight and was roundly applauded, so not a forced retirement.