Looking at the 2014 Roster: QBs & RBs

I was really hoping we could land Rocky Reid but he is committed to Tennessee with more SEC offers coming in.[/quote]

Talked with a person last night who is quite familiar with past 15+ years of Concord HS football. He thinks Reid is making mistake going to the SEC. Said a program like Charlotte would have been good fit for him.[/quote] Sorry to throw the thread off a little but man I wish our coach staff would pipe line into concord. They have been some great players come from there Dee Bost ā€“ Mississippi State University basketball player, now with the Idaho Stampede (he also played football at concord. Many people around here believe he was better at football).
Jay Graham - University of Tennessee and NFL football player (RB) with the Baltimore Ravens and Seattle Seahawks. Lance Lewis - East Carolina University football player, wide receiver with the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins of the NFL. tommy beecher (qb)- USC . Transferred to liberty flames. Matt beecher (TE)- app state. Bj beecher (qb) - ECU. There have been quite a few more that have played at the D1 level that started their careers at concord

Johnson had big numbers because of the system.

I was really hoping we could land Rocky Reid but he is committed to Tennessee with more SEC offers coming in.[/quote]

Talked with a person last night who is quite familiar with past 15+ years of Concord HS football. He thinks Reid is making mistake going to the SEC. Said a program like Charlotte would have been good fit for him.[/quote] Sorry to throw the thread off a little but man I wish our coach staff would pipe line into concord. They have been some great players come from there Dee Bost ā€“ Mississippi State University basketball player, now with the Idaho Stampede (he also played football at concord. Many people around here believe he was better at football).
Jay Graham - University of Tennessee and NFL football player (RB) with the Baltimore Ravens and Seattle Seahawks. Lance Lewis - East Carolina University football player, wide receiver with the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins of the NFL. tommy beecher (qb)- USC . Transferred to liberty flames. Matt beecher (TE)- app state. Bj beecher (qb) - ECU. There have been quite a few more that have played at the D1 level that started their careers at concord
[/quote]

Iā€™m sure they are all over concord and kannapolis but itā€™s not like they can just pick and choose.

Phillips came from K-town, right?

Yes

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/07/30/5076474/charlotte-49ers-qb-matt-johnson.html#.U9liA6PQoeU

ā€œHeā€™s a 230-pound, tough kid,ā€ said Mullen after Wednesdayā€™s first preseason practice. ā€œSometimes weā€™re wired in certain ways. But I want the quarterback position to be a distributor, not a playmaker. Heā€™s not Superman back there. His job is to get the ball to guys who are Superman: the running backs running the ball, the wideouts catching it. I donā€™t want Matt doing either.ā€

I think this a good view of Mattā€™s role in the offense. We have some big playmakers, we just need someone to get them the ball.

ā€œHeā€™s a 230-pound, tough kid,ā€ said Mullen after Wednesdayā€™s first preseason practice. ā€œSometimes weā€™re wired in certain ways. But I want the quarterback position to be a distributor, not a playmaker. Heā€™s not Superman back there. His job is to get the ball to guys who are Superman: the running backs running the ball, the wideouts catching it. I donā€™t want Matt doing either.ā€

I think this a good view of Mattā€™s role in the offense. We have some big playmakers, we just need someone to get them the ball.[/quote]

Matt ran a lot as a HS QB and he was very successful with it. He has good size and speed for a HS QB, but the speed and size on the other side of the ball is a little faster and bigger in college. I like that he has the speed to make some runs when necessary and that he is big enough to take some hits, but Iā€™d much rather him sit in the pocket and make plays.

I think this a good view of Mattā€™s role in the offense. We have some big playmakers, we just need someone to get them the ball.[/quote]

Matt ran a lot as a HS QB and he was very successful with it. He has good size and speed for a HS QB, but the speed and size on the other side of the ball is a little faster and bigger in college. I like that he has the speed to make some runs when necessary and that he is big enough to take some hits, but Iā€™d much rather him sit in the pocket and make plays.[/quote]Yep. Iā€™m cool with him running when the plays break down or if we need to gain a yard for the first down, but otherwise Iā€™d rather see him stay in the pocket.

It looks like Maetron Thomas will be playing this season and will not sit as a redshirt.

The thought of Kalif and Maetron in the backfield is pretty exciting. These are guys that I think will make an impact in C-USA, especially behind our O-Line.

Just noticed we have added another QB to the roster. Austin Pires from Ardrey Kell.

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:32, topic:28885ā€]Just noticed we have added another QB to the roster. Austin Pires from Ardrey Kell.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1491652/austin-pires[/quote]

Is this real? His Year is listed as Unk. http://www.charlotte49ers.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23200&SPID=72735&SPSID=694806

Iā€™m gonna guess he is a walk on.

I believe so.